Top Shelf Aquatics

Bta help

Kyle99

So a few months ago i bought a bta from the lfs. I didnt know much about them and after buying it i learned my lesson. So when i bought it, it was white and not even opened up. But i still bought it. After a few months ive tried bringing it back with no prevail. 

Problems: (nothing has changed sence i bought it)

It wont eat 

Its white and no tentacles just small nubs

Mouth stays slightly open(see picture) 

Now its only ate once. But not one time after that. 

Alk 10ish  

Nitrate 5ppm 

Phos .7 ish. Gotta get new tests. 

Amon 0 

Nitrite 0 

What can i do to try and bring him back. Im worried for the day he just goes poof. Ive been thinking about trading him back to the lfs but idk. 

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Salinity, temperature, your lighting fixture? 

1.025 using rscp salt 

Sitting at about 75 right now using a 100w but now that ive gone to a 20 gal long i may need to upgrade with it getting colder outside. Im using a kessil a80 tuna blue. Soon will be adding another one to fill the span of the 20g L 

The good news is that it is still attached to the rock. Unfortunately, at this point there may not be much you can do but wait. BTA's require fairly intense lighting, but if it is completely bleached, no amount of light will be able to restore it's zooxanthellae population. I know tome reefers with do a "transplant" by feeding a nem a tenticle from another "helathy" nem.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

What are you feeding it? I would be tempted to try and feed it something super easy to digest like flakes or super tiny foods. 

Ive tried feeding it pellets. which now that i think about it, it did eat one pellet. But ive also tried silver sides that it ate once. And brine shrip from a frozen cube that i thawed and everything. 

1 hour ago, lpsouth1978 said:

The good news is that it is still attached to the rock. Unfortunately, at this point there may not be much you can do but wait. BTA's require fairly intense lighting, but if it is completely bleached, no amount of light will be able to restore it's zooxanthellae population. I know tome reefers with do a "transplant" by feeding a nem a tenticle from another "helathy" nem.

I have seen this before but i have no idea where i could get a tenticle from one sence the lfs doesnt really carry them unless special order do to his price being 40 then his mark up. 

From what i have seen i think im just gonna trade him off or at lest give him to someone in the memphis reef society where im at. 

1 hour ago, Kyle99 said:

Ive tried feeding it pellets. which now that i think about it, it did eat one pellet. But ive also tried silver sides that it ate once. And brine shrip from a frozen cube that i thawed and everything. 

I have seen this before but i have no idea where i could get a tenticle from one sence the lfs doesnt really carry them unless special order do to his price being 40 then his mark up. 

From what i have seen i think im just gonna trade him off or at lest give him to someone in the memphis reef society where im at. 

Ask someone in your local reef club if they wold be willing to collect a tentacle for you. BTA's are VERY common and no harm would be done to thier nem by removing a tentacle.

I would say try feeding mysis shrimps dipped in garlic. Turn off your fans and let the mysis sit on the nem after it’s been soaked and see if the nem eats them. (Please make sure you thaw half a cube first - don’t throw cube in frozen) See what that does. If it likes it, I would keep this up daily. Also keep up with weekly water changes until it grows a little. 

On 10/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, ReefAdoRe said:

I would say try feeding mysis shrimps dipped in garlic. Turn off your fans and let the mysis sit on the nem after it’s been soaked and see if the nem eats them. (Please make sure you thaw half a cube first - don’t throw cube in frozen) See what that does. If it likes it, I would keep this up daily. Also keep up with weekly water changes until it grows a little. 

On 10/16/2018 at 6:31 PM, ReefAdoRe said:

Or try marine cuisine same as above. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey guys sorry for the late reply school has been getting busy with midterms going on. But i was talking in my local reef club and i gave him to a old man that has about 6 of em. He said he will try to revive it and if i wanted it back im welcome to it but i think ill let my tank mature a while longer before getting another one. It is only 8-9 months old 

I hope he is able to nurse it back to health for you. Having a tank that is more than a year old certainly helps, but is not an absolute necessity if maintained properly. My current tank is only about 5 months old and has a BTA and a Carpet, both doing VERY well! Keep working on keeping the tank stable and you will be ready to try again in no time. Make sure when you get the next one that it has good color, as stated earlier, a white anemone is an unhealthy anemone.

3 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I hope he is able to nurse it back to health for you. Having a tank that is more than a year old certainly helps, but is not an absolute necessity if maintained properly. My current tank is only about 5 months old and has a BTA and a Carpet, both doing VERY well! Keep working on keeping the tank stable and you will be ready to try again in no time. Make sure when you get the next one that it has good color, as stated earlier, a white anemone is an unhealthy anemone.

Thanks. I am still working with making everything stable and perfect persay. I want to add a bit of equipment to it as well but they are big bucks and i dont like equipment in the tank so its a pain. I would like to ad a protein skimmer and a hob fuge of some sort. For better nutrient control. 

• 3 weeks later...