ReefCleaners.org

Flame Angel Ich outta Nowhere

LiamFalconer

I have had everything in my tank that’s in for about 3 months now, setup’s been up for 9. Flame angel was most recent addition 3 months ago. Everything has been good aside a diatom bloom and a few temp fluctuations. I woke up this morning and lo and behold, my flame angel is covered in ich. I don’t have a QT and I have corals so I can’t drop salinity or any treatments. I also have a Clarkii clown, a blue damsel and a yellow watchman goby. Suggestions?

You can use a giant plastic container/tub/storage bin as a makeshift QT. It's what I did for some of my fish when I had a fungal outbreak (granted, this was freshwater and not marine). Once you have separated all fish into your makeshift QT, treat the fish with copper and let your DT go fallow for 8 weeks. Make sure all your fish are eating during QT, otherwise the chances of them making it through treatment is lessened. 

If one fish has Ich, all of them have it, even if there are no visible symptoms on the other fish. 

I had an angel in QT tank... at week 4 it showed Ich... nothing until week 4. That crap is in the gills, I always QT because I don't like dealing with pulling all the fish for 8 weeks. It might not even be your angel that brought it in... another fish with a better immune system might have had it in the gills and a long comes a newly stressed prone to ich resident for the parasite to feast on.

I would QT all the fish and treat. Some people just try to feed well with garlic but theres no proof of that eradicating ich and it may end up being something you deal with on and off forever... or the fish might not make it and some may die if you don't treat. There is also a 'transfer method' you can do but the DT still needs no fish for 8 weeks.

This has all the methods listed and a good read:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/marine-ich-myths-and-facts.23132/

Display tank will need to be empty of hosts/fish for 6-8 weeks.  That is the key.  During that time you can QT the fish and treat them for the ich.  I reccomend both copper for the ich, as well as an antibiotic/anti-parasitic for anything else they might have such as flukes.  I personally use "General Cure" by API for the antibiotic/anti-parasitic and Cupramine for the copper. 

• Like 2