SaltCritters.com

Reefsenpai’s Fluval Evo 13.5

Gaze

Hello all of Nano-Reef! The name is reefsenpai and I’m going to build the most beautiful Nano reef I can in my Fluval 13.5. 

I started the hobby with this AIO tank and really quickly upgraded to a Reefer 350. I definitely bit off more than I could chew and drifted away from the hobby but now the flame is back. Driven with the ideals of a small but full reef, I aim to make something beautiful. 

With this go-around, I’m taking the reefing golden rule to heart and be A LOT more patient. Please join and guide me on this journey. This is what I have so far:

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5 

Lighting: Stock (AI Prime HD Upgrade) 

Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w 

Return: Ehiem CompactON 1000 

Wavemaker: Hydor Koralia Nano 240 

Filtration: InTank Chamber One Media Basket w/ filter pads, chemipure blue nano, and seachem matrix 

Skimmer: None (Reef Glass Nano Skimmer)

ATO: None (AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro )

77B575B9-D01D-4D31-BC0D-F2563EB45EF1.jpeg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

nice rocks!  you keeping it bare bottom?

I would love a gsp covered bare bottom so it’d look like grass but I wanna have a pistol shrimp and goby. I wanna make sure he has his sand to play in 😂 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, reefsenpai said:

I would love a gsp covered bare bottom so it’d look like grass but I wanna have a pistol shrimp and goby. I wanna make sure he has his sand to play in 😂 

I tried that GSP bottom before.  It didn't end well....hahah

2 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

Nice tank set up. I had this tank before and it was pretty good. What kind of corals are you thinking for this tank?

😂 I just posted on your old tank thread asking about the Haitian rock! I’m a big euphyllia and LPS guy but it’ll be mixed Reef with a nice torch for a centerpiece!

Nice rock work! These are great little tanks. I have no idea if it would work or not, but Dawn put a partial sandbed with a barrier in her seahorse garden, I wonder if you could do something like that and GSP on the other part?

40 minutes ago, reefsenpai said:

😂 I just posted on your old tank thread asking about the Haitian rock! I’m a big euphyllia and LPS guy but it’ll be mixed Reef with a nice torch for a centerpiece!

Lol sounds good. That sounds cool. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, reefsenpai said:

I just started my own evo and I already love LPS can’t wait to see how this turns out. Maybe go a bottom covered in Acans?! Just throwing ideas out don’t take me too seriously I’m a reefing noob

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice rock work! These are great little tanks. I have no idea if it would work or not, but Dawn put a partial sandbed with a barrier in her seahorse garden, I wonder if you could do something like that and GSP on the other part?

Hmmm I've never thought to do that! Thank you, geniusss!

2 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

I just started my own evo and I already love LPS can’t wait to see how this turns out. Maybe go a bottom covered in Acans?! Just throwing ideas out don’t take me too seriously I’m a reefing noob

A bottom of acans would probably freak me out a bit- ya know trypophobia and all haha!

16 minutes ago, reefsenpai said:

Hmmm I've never thought to do that! Thank you, geniusss!

A bottom of acans would probably freak me out a bit- ya know trypophobia and all haha!

Lol Acans r my fav so that’s y 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, reefsenpai said:

Tell me about it! Did it grow up on everything??

The mat never fully covered the bottom so there were lots of dead spots like a dog been pissing on the grass.  And yes it started to grow up the rocks.  It also prevented me from putting other corals on the bottom.  

6 hours ago, mmac9 said:

Looking good. I just got the Fluval Evo 13.5 that I am setting up also so I'll be following you along!

@mmac9 What are you goals for the tank??

@vlangel Thanks homie, just threw it all in a bucket with some bleach dilution but a week of waiting isn’t as bad as a month of diatoms 😩

• Like 1
1 hour ago, reefsenpai said:

@mmac9 What are you goals for the tank??

@vlangel Thanks homie, just threw it all in a bucket with some bleach dilution but a week of waiting isn’t as bad as a month of diatoms 😩

I am looking to just create a nice and stable tank. With some good looking, but easy to keep LPS and softies. My last tank I had a lot of issue because I didn't know what I was doing, but I am going to be more patience this time around.

• Like 1

Finally after a little bleach, I got water and sand into the tank. It’s cycling at the moment with a little help from biospira but excited none the less! Keeping my eyes peeled for my dream clownfish.. maybe a MochaDivinci 😋

The Eheim CompactON 1000 return is a little loud, thinking of replacing it with the sicca silent 1.0.. 

B37CEB50-37D3-4FE0-8548-6C7004764DA7.jpeg

00C14EB5-9EE6-4E22-958F-4A3143C03D37.jpeg

E32C4C46-8B7A-4647-A0AB-81549170A868.jpeg