Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Copepod bloom problem

Zachary Hart

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
33 minutes ago, Zachary Hart said:

Im upset now. Who knew a fish could make you so sad. Ive only had him for 4 days. 

That sucks to hear. Sorry for your loss. Hope the other pulls through for you.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the fish loss.

@Tamberav gave excellent advice.

Unfortunately, your tank has to go fishless for 8 weeks to kill the parasite or any fish added will contract brook. 

Brook is a fast killing parasite. The fish definitely came home with it, it's not your tank that caused it. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Sorry to hear about the fish loss.

@Tamberav gave excellent advice.

Unfortunately, your tank has to go fishless for 8 weeks to kill the parasite or any fish added will contract brook. 

Brook is a fast killing parasite. The fish definitely came home with it, it's not your tank that caused it. 

What about the snails and conches. Will they get it aswell?

You haven't done anything to feel bad about. Well, other than not quarantining the fish, but not everyone does that. If the fish did indeed have Brook it was probably doomed anyway. We have all lost fish to one thing or another. I watched in horror in 1974 as my cat leaped upon and devoured my brand new Coris wrasse after it went carpet surfing while I was doing a water change. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and carry on. Don't run any carbon in your QT as it will deplete any meds you put in there. So don't give up. It's too soon to throw in the towel on your tank. Clown is correct; your tank needs to be fishless for 8 weeks to ensure the parasite dies off. Unfortunately, first sw tanks have a very steep learning curve to them, but being persistent and cautious will pay off in the long run.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

You haven't done anything to feel bad about. Well, other than not quarantining the fish, but not everyone does that. If the fish did indeed have Brook it was probably doomed anyway. We have all lost fish to one thing or another. I watched in horror in 1974 as my cat leaped upon and devoured my brand new Coris wrasse after it went carpet surfing while I was doing a water change. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and carry on. Don't run any carbon in your QT as it will deplete any meds you put in there. So don't give up. It's too soon to throw in the towel on your tank. Clown is correct; your tank needs to be fishless for 8 weeks to ensure the parasite dies off. Unfortunately, first sw tanks have a very steep learning curve to them, but being persistent and cautious will pay off in the long run.

Sorry about your fish. I wasnt going to give up yet, ive spent too much money to do that. I dont mind waiting 8 weeks anymore if it means that hopefully next time the fish are diseaseless. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

This is why I have only one fish in my 20 right now. I don't have a qt and the unknowns keep me from getting anything else. I have been leaning towards another fish but It will be qt'd before it goes in. I have gotten lucky over the years with my cichlids and never qt'd any of them but eventually luck runs out ya know 

54 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

This is why I have only one fish in my 20 right now. I don't have a qt and the unknowns keep me from getting anything else. I have been leaning towards another fish but It will be qt'd before it goes in. I have gotten lucky over the years with my cichlids and never qt'd any of them but eventually luck runs out ya know 

So true.

I never qt'd any freshwater fish and never had any wipe outs.

My first 55g reef never qt'd and the only fish loss was a firefish who constantly jumped...no surprise there. Lol.

I have lost 3 fish due to disease from not qt'ing. In the last 3.5 yrs.

I now qt for 4 weeks observation so I don't lose my fish.

I use a 3.5g cheap tank I had lying around.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

So true.

I never qt'd any freshwater fish and never had any wipe outs.

My first 55g reef never qt'd and the only fish loss was a firefish who constantly jumped...no surprise there. Lol.

I have lost 3 fish due to disease from not qt'ing. In the last 3.5 yrs.

I now qt for 4 weeks observation so I don't lose my fish.

I use a 3.5g cheap tank I had lying around.

I was actually looking to pick up a 5 gallon from the store..it's like 10 bucks. After seeing horror stories and peoples experiences I won't add another fish with out doing it. I have a bunch of meds laying around at all times anyways.

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I was actually looking to pick up a 5 gallon from the store..it's like 10 bucks. After seeing horror stories and peoples experiences I won't add another fish with out doing it. I have a bunch of meds laying around at all times anyways.

I have never treated any fish. The ones that died it happened too quickly to treat. 

I have metroplex on hand.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have never treated any fish. The ones that died it happened too quickly to treat. 

I have metroplex on hand.

Thats what I have too...I also have kanaplex. Same here never used them either

Is it normal for turbo snails to keep flipping themselves over. Ive had 2 do it now and on the third time they just seem to keel over and die. Is this normal behaviour in an aquarium?

7 hours ago, Zachary Hart said:

Is it normal for turbo snails to keep flipping themselves over. Ive had 2 do it now and on the third time they just seem to keel over and die. Is this normal behaviour in an aquarium?

What type of turbo? I honestly never had any luck with Astraea turno snails and I never purchase them anymore. They can't flip themselves over if they land in the sand.

The Mexican turbo's do okay for me but they need lots of food. 

Welcome!  I'm sorry about your fish.  My first ever clownfish, a tiny inch-long misbar clown I called Tallulah, came diseased from the store.  I ended up taking her back in hopes they could treat her (I didn't have the money to buy a bunch of meds at the time) but I am sure she passed because she was tiny and not eating.  Learned valuable lessons from that experience and left my tank fallow all summer just in case.  I will say 4 turbos and 3 conches is a lot for that size tank, I have a similar tank (Innovative Marine 14 peninsula) and would only put one conch in it.  After your tank's had some time to mature and grow more algae, look into ceriths or trochus, regular turbos get too big for this size tank.  Also look for nassarius snails for the sandbed.  I will say, I started my tank from dry rock and used fish flakes for a while and got terrible cyano problems.  When you're ready for new fish, I'd recommend trying some pellets as they're a bit cleaner than flakes (flakes contain tons of phosphates, which contribute to algae growth).  You've gotten some good advice in the rest of this thread. :smilie:

• Like 2

Yeah thinking back to it now, the reason i got that many snails and conch is because they were on sale and the shop employees recommended i get them. The conches are still thriving but the turbos keep flipping over and dying. Maybe i will get some different snails next time like the ones you have mentioned. Thanks

1 hour ago, Zachary Hart said:

Yeah thinking back to it now, the reason i got that many snails and conch is because they were on sale and the shop employees recommended i get them. The conches are still thriving but the turbos keep flipping over and dying. Maybe i will get some different snails next time like the ones you have mentioned. Thanks

It's always best to take it slow so you don't introduce more CUC than your tank needs--don't want them going hungry! :smilie: