SaltCritters.com

Building a refugium

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi everyone! I am thinking of converting a 10 gallon tank under my 10 gallon NPS tank into a refugium. Here's the problem...it's UNDER the NPS tank. I am using one of those metal storage shelves as the stand for the tanks, and the bottom tank is several feet below the soon-to-be NPS tank. Any advice on how to turn this into a refugium? Do I simply set up two equal water pumps, one flowing into each tank? Is this just not a good idea? Thanks

You'll need a small overflow box to get the water out of the main tank to some PVC that'll run down to your sump. On a small tank like that, probably 1/2" to 3/4" pvc (whatever the size is on the overflow box). Overflow boxes work on gravity feed so they don't need a pump, but they will need to be primed if and when the power goes out. CPR aquatics makes decent hang on overflow boxes that use an aqua lifter pump to re-prime it if the power goes out or if you cut off the power for feeding corals and whatnot.

Then, you'll need a return pump to get the water pumped from your sump back to your aquarium. For a small tank like that, i'd recommend a small submersible DC pump such as the innovate marine mighty jet line of pumps. DC pumps enable you to adjust your flow rate which will be important in a small tank like that. Don't forget to install both a check valve and a break siphon hole on the return line so that if the power goes out, the water WON'T back-flow back into your sump and flood the sump.

Head over to youtube and search for videos on sump installation and you'll get the gist of it. If it seems like too much work and effort, consider hang on back sumps from CPR aquatics or building your own out of an aquaclear HOB filter. That's pretty much all an HOB filter is, is a hang on the back sump.

• Like 2

Get what your pocketbook can stand.  Consider that this unit is mobile, it takes 10 minutes to hook up and operate and could be moved to different tanks as required.

2 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Hi everyone! I am thinking of converting a 10 gallon tank under my 10 gallon NPS tank into a refugium. Here's the problem...it's UNDER the NPS tank. I am using one of those metal storage shelves as the stand for the tanks, and the bottom tank is several feet below the soon-to-be NPS tank. Any advice on how to turn this into a refugium? Do I simply set up two equal water pumps, one flowing into each tank? Is this just not a good idea? Thanks

I think you are just trying to figure out how to plumb a sump, a tank below your display. And no, two pumps is a terrible idea. 

This should be all the resources you need: 

http://bfy.tw/KM0p

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
AlmightyJoshaeus

Hate to revive the thread, but...can I use a piece of tubing without an overflow? I was thinking of having a 1/2 ID tubing piece at the top of the tank in a breeder box flowing down into the refugium, and a water pump with 1/2 ID tubing flowing back into it. The latter would have a check valve to prohibit water from flowing back into the tank in the event of a power outage.

29 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Hate to revive the thread, but...can I use a gravel vacuum in the overflow to feed the refugium? I am very confused by how to otherwise plumb an overflow. My thought is I could have a breeder box in the tank, towards the top, with the gravel vacuum inside it. The gravel vacuum would drain into the refugium, and a pump with PVC pipe would drive the water back into the main tank. PS...PVC pipe just fits together without any need for sealing, right?

Doesn't sound like a great idea.  Siphon overflows are potential disasters, as if the siphon breaks the pump will continue to fill the display and eventually you have a flood and/or a burned out pump and dry refugium.  If you are going to run a siphon overflow you need to invest in something proven and reliable (cpr, mame, etc) and not risk a cheap DIY.  

I personally wouldn't mess with a siphon overflow without having an Apex controller to monitor the water levels and shut down the return in the event the siphon stops working.  

1 minute ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

OK. How do I do an overflow then?

You buy one from a reputable source, like @specore said.  I personally have a "LIfeReef" and the owner/builder claims to have never heard a customer report a broken siphon in the over a decade he has been selling them. 

2 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Is there any way to have the power cut to the water pump if the water falls too low, OTHER than a fancy computer controller?

Use a ATO controller that cuts the power when the water level in your sump falls low.  Can be had for less than $100.  Sounds expensive, but that is less expensive than a flood in your house. 

Or keep the water level in your sump low enough that if it pumps dry, it wont overflow your main display.  Same for the overflow......don't let it flood your sump.

"Cheap" controller like a "JBJ A.T.O."

38 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Hate to revive the thread, but...can I use a piece of tubing without an overflow? I was thinking of having a 1/2 ID tubing piece at the top of the tank in a breeder box flowing down into the refugium, and a water pump with 1/2 ID tubing flowing back into it. The latter would have a check valve to prohibit water from flowing back into the tank in the event of a power outage.

You are are looking for an external overflow box. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/choosing-an-aquarium-overflow

• Like 1

Yep.  This is what mine looks like.  A little easier to visually understand versus the BulkReefSupply photo where they have a pump on the top of the overflow.

Maintains the siphon when pumps are off and restarts the flow when the pumps are turned back on.  For example, I can turn all my pumps off to feed and not worry.

st-32886-PF800.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

How does it maintain the siphon when the powerheads are off? Wouldn't it run out of water in short order?

If the return pump is off, it will run out of water. But due to clever design it restarts when the water level climbs again. 

See that little short wall in the external box?  What happens is that fills with water and maintains the siphon.  The internal box drains to meet that same level.  It stops flowing, but maintains the water in the upside down "U" tube.  As soon as the pumps are back on and there is water being pumped into your display tank, it flows into the internal box, which flows thru the tube into the external, then over that little short wall and then down to the sump.  Make sense? 

If the little short wall was not there in the external box, none of that "stop and start automatically" would work.