inTank Media Baskets

My Shot at the TOTM title

raeh1

Hi Team.

I've been doing reefing for 15 years. I've slowly downsized from 650L to 350L last year nd due to my lifestyle I just dropped to 150L which I guess is the edge of nano.

I have bought a Landen 150 Master Reef as a base... so here goes my build...

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

• Like 1

I've decided on my stocking: Luckily from my old tank I have most.

Fish

2x black and white clowns

2x Bangii pair

1x Banana Wrasse

2x Fire file fish

1x Yellow coral coby

1x Baby flame angel

Inverts

1x Hermit crab

3x Astreas snails

1x Bue linkia (to get)

1x Crorea clam AA++ grade (to get)

1x Boxing Shrimp

1x Flame rose anemone

1x Rare Purple with green tip long tenticle anemone

Corals. (Limit 25 types) I at one stage with the 650L counted 134 types... lol

But a zoa garden.

5 sps

2 lps

3x leather (including my super rare super flow cabbage coral)

8x zoa including my pink with yellow centres

• Like 1
A Little Blue
28 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Okay, very optimistic, lets see how that goes 🤣😛

I think all TOTM winners should chime in to make this dream a reality. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

You don’t choose TOTM.  TOTM chooses you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
25 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I think everyone wants to achieve TOTM, I was just poking fun at the confidence of the OP. Hasn't added water yet but is sure will get TOTM- if the OP is that dedicated, I am confident that they will achieve it! 

• Like 1

Who cares if he does or doesn't. It's nice to have things to aim for, if we achieve them or not.

Good for OP for putting it out there, I don't think anyone here doesn't want to secretly win TOTM...

48 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Technically the OP said it's his shot at TOTM. :naughtydance:

To me that means it's his attempt. Not that he's sure he will win it......

Right, I love it!! And the OP is not a noob, they’ve been reefing for 15 years, so I think they have confidence based on their experience with other tanks in the past. 

I love watching experienced reefers with amazing tanks start new ones. 

@raeh1, would love to see pics of your past larger tanks, if you would like to post...can’t wait to see your style. 🙂 

• Like 3
A Little Blue
4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I think everyone wants to achieve TOTM, I was just poking fun at the confidence of the OP. Hasn't added water yet but is sure will get TOTM- if the OP is that dedicated, I am confident that they will achieve it! 

I am surprised that you didn’t sense the sarcasm in my post. Lol

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

Who cares if he does or doesn't. It's nice to have things to aim for, if we achieve them or not.

Good for OP for putting it out there, I don't think anyone here doesn't want to secretly win TOTM...

I am not even sure what this award is based on......  IMO 5years of successful reef tank should be minimal requirement. Seems like ppl aim at how the tank looks in the picture. Which is weird by itself. There are people that I admire on here and they never get noticed. And I am pretty sure they like it that way. So do I. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I am not even sure what this award is based on......  IMO 5years of successful reef tank should be minimal requirement. Seems like ppl aim at how the tank looks in the picture. Which is weird by itself. There are people that I admire on here and they never get noticed. And I am pretty sure they like it that way. So do I. 

Okay @A Little Blue, keep telling yourself those things. Just cuz apparently you were never recognized I guess. You seem to be trying to pick a fight right now, what’s up. Also, sarcasm can be difficult to pick up on in writing, but I got it the first time and was trying to ignore it and be nice. The OP is new to the forum and starting a build thread, are we really going to start a controversial discussion here about how people’s tanks are chosen as TOTM?

1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Okay @A Little Blue, keep telling yourself those things. Just cuz apparently you were never recognized I guess. You seem to be trying to pick a fight right now, what’s up. Also, sarcasm can be difficult to pick up on in writing, but I got it the first time and was trying to ignore it and be nice. The OP is new to the forum and starting a build thread, are we really going to start a controversial discussion here about how people’s tanks are chosen as TOTM?

Its actually kind of true in that often TOTM frequently seems to be picked based on whoever has the prettiest picture and not necessarily who is the most experienced, has supported the tank for a length of time, or helpfulness on the forum. TOTM is kind of TPOTM- tank photo of the month.  Also, I think a thread based on achieving TOTM is probably the right location to extrapolate what it means to be TOTM? 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Its actually kind of true in that often TOTM frequently seems to be picked based on whoever has the prettiest picture and not necessarily who is the most experienced, has supported the tank for a length of time, or helpfulness on the forum. TOTM is kind of TPOTM- tank photo of the month.  Also, I think a thread based on achieving TOTM is probably the right location to extrapolate what it means to be TOTM? 

I would suggest “taking it outside” if we want to get into this debate, rather than conducting that conversation (that could become heated) here in this person’s build thread. I’m pretty sure the OP didn’t really start their build thread to get into this discussion with the entire N-R community. Could be wrong about that, but if they want to engage in the discussion, they could participate if they want. Here’s the TOTM nomination thread, which explains in the first post what the criteria are:

“If you would like to recommend a community member's nano reef aquarium to be featured in our Monthly Reef Profiles, please post your nomination here. Include the member's name, a link to their aquarium journal thread, a current FTS if possible, and tell us why you nominated them. Aquariums under 40 gallons are preferred, but exceptions are often made.

Featured reefs are chosen for a myriad of reasons, there is no one formula for selection. Some of these reasons may include: aquarium maturity, unique livestock, system design, aquascaping, clever DIY builds, good husbandry, minimalism, or system automation.”

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I would suggest “taking it outside” if we want to get into this debate, rather than conducting that conversation (that could become heated) here in this person’s build thread. I’m pretty sure the OP didn’t really start their build thread to get into this discussion with the entire N-R community. Could be wrong about that, but if they want to engage in the discussion, they could participate if they want. Here’s the TOTM nomination thread, which explains in the first post what the criteria are:

“If you would like to recommend a community member's nano reef aquarium to be featured in our Monthly Reef Profiles, please post your nomination here. Include the member's name, a link to their aquarium journal thread, a current FTS if possible, and tell us why you nominated them. Aquariums under 40 gallons are preferred, but exceptions are often made.

Featured reefs are chosen for a myriad of reasons, there is no one formula for selection. Some of these reasons may include: aquarium maturity, unique livestock, system design, aquascaping, clever DIY builds, good husbandry, minimalism, or system automation.”

I didnt know that bottom part was there! I like it- "aquarium maturity, unique livestock, system design, aquascaping, clever DIY builds, good husbandry, minimalism, or system automation.” are pretty good descriptors IMO! A broad range of things to aspire for with your build 🙂 

• Like 2
A Little Blue

Someone sent a post/response screenshot from a person that I clearly couldn’t care less about or what she/he thinks so here is my response: I couldn’t care less about TOTM and I would refuse to accept it. Now you can quote me that.  

Just now, A Little Blue said:

Someone sent a post/response screenshot from a person that I clearly couldn’t care less about or what she/he thinks so here is my response: I couldn’t care less about TOTM and I would refuse to accept it. Now you can quote me that.  

Dude... okay. It’s not a very good fight if you don’t even tag me when you’re talking to me. 

6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I didnt see, don't worry, whoever posted something like that that probably wouldn't even get the offer TO reject. xD. Let people drink the hatoraid

A Little Blue
37 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I didnt see, don't worry, whoever posted something like that that probably wouldn't even get the offer TO reject. xD. Let people drink the hatoraid

It just fascinates me that some ppl care so much about getting noticed or recognized and need validation from others. My only concern is to keep my tank alive and thriving and occasionally I try to share my experience with others. In all honesty, I do expect to fail as keeping reef tank long term is extremely difficult task. And those who do, get my respect and recognition. No award needed. 

• Like 2