Cultivated Reef

Can you reuse old Marine Pure Bio Spheres?

LogicalReefs

I have old used marine pure bio spheres that I used in a canister filter about a year ago. I broke it down when I moved and never got around to cleaning the filter. I have a AIO now and would like to reuse the spheres.

Can I reuse them be just washing them off? Is it not advisable? Any info would help. 

9 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

You can reuse them. Just give them a good rinse to wash away any dust and such.

Cool. Thanks man. I saw on their website they recommend a good soak in 7% peroxide solution over night for sanitizing the spheres if necessary. Think I need to do that? I literally unplugged my canister filter emptied out water and then put in a trash bag and left everything in there for about a year.

Wouldn't there be microscopic dead crap in them? I mean I guess it would rot and cycle out, but why not just buy some new ones? I would def peroxide them as that should dislodge some stuff.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Wouldn't there be microscopic dead crap in them? I mean I guess it would rot and cycle out, but why not just buy some new ones? I would def peroxide them as that should dislodge some stuff.

Money is kind of tight so didn't want to spend more if I didn't have to. My tank currently is fine now. Corals look happy. I just wanted to add more biological filtration. Never hurts to have more is my mind set. Going to dig my canister filter out the closet and get to seeing how things look. 

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If the tank is running well, why add used dirty media? Don't fix what isn't broken?

True. I get bored and I try to better stuff. I’ll just end up buying new. Don’t want to risk it. Thanks man. 

7 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

Cool. Thanks man. I saw on their website they recommend a good soak in 7% peroxide solution over night for sanitizing the spheres if necessary. Think I need to do that? I literally unplugged my canister filter emptied out water and then put in a trash bag and left everything in there for about a year.

I never did. They were just dried out and when I was ready to use I rinsed them and out them back in no issues.

They cost too much to throw away when a good rinse or a good soak will make them near as new again.

I have not used then so take that for whats is worth...

that said I bet there is a way to clean them soak em as they said then soak in RODI water for a few days then test. if all test come back 0 your good to go. 

why spend $$ when you don't have to.  just make sure there nice and clean. that may take some time or not?

Peroxide is a good idea since oxidation would help.. Setting them in the sun is also good for killing mold/bacteria.

I don't think it would crash your tank or anything. I just don't see the point of annoying new or used media if everything is doing well. 

^ yeah I hear that. no need but if OP is willing to take the risk or the time to make sure then is little to no, then I say go for it. but time is $$ 

bleach is also an option, just make sure you let it sit in the sun for a day or so...

good luck!