Cultivated Reef

Feeding Acans and LPS?

Will_0505

so I’m a complete reefing noob. I picked up two acans for 30 dollars yesterday and this morning I fed one frag a few prime reef flakes. I was wondering if I can use hikaris First bite fry powder for coral? It’s like reef roids in powder and texture but I’m not sure if I can feed that thx. Pics below on my acans!

E6F68993-8424-49F9-B2B3-6F04BD32C951.jpeg

98927240-0BC1-441F-846B-D5A4FBF4928C.jpeg

I don't see why not. The ingredients look good for LPS corals, they like meaty foods. 48% protein sounds good for them 😁. I feed my LPS a lot of different things like brine, mysis, powder foods, and krill for the big ones.

If you decide to use it let me know how it goes.

1 minute ago, Joevember said:

I don't see why not. The ingredients look good for LPS corals, they like meaty foods. 48% protein sounds good for them 😁. I feed my LPS a lot of different things like brine, mysis, powder foods, and krill for the big ones.

If you decide to use it let me know how it goes.

I was wondering if there were anything like copper of anything in them i read to not feed fish foods because some have this and it kills the corals

Just now, Will_0505 said:

I was wondering if there were anything like copper of anything in them i read to not feed fish foods because some have this and it kills the corals

Corals need trace amounts of copper to grow and thrive.  It's higher doses like we use to treat parasites which can be toxic.  The only way I could see it ever being an issue is if you fed foods/supplements with trace amounts of copper for a long period of time without doing any water changes.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, specore said:

Corals need trace amounts of copper to grow and thrive.  It's higher doses like we use to treat parasites which can be toxic.  The only way I could see it ever being an issue is if you fed foods/supplements with trace amounts of copper for a long period of time without doing any water changes.  

Thx A lot! But is frozen better then powder? 

3 minutes ago, Will_0505 said:

Thx A lot! But is frozen better then powder? 

Honeslty I've never fed a lot of the powdered, so not really qualified to answer.  

4 minutes ago, specore said:

Honeslty I've never fed a lot of the powdered, so not really qualified to answer.  

Thx! I’ll try both and see which gets the best growth 

I don't know what kind of light you have those under, but acans generally don't like/need a ton of light and I would usually recommend starting them off on the sand bed and moving them to brighter light over a couple of weeks (if needed). 

• Like 1
Just now, specore said:

I don't know what kind of light you have those under, but acans generally don't like/need a ton of light and I would usually recommend starting them off on the sand bed and moving them to brighter light over a couple of weeks (if needed). 

I have a fluval evo still with stock light(like a noob) I’m upgrading to a kessil A80 or a AI prime by Christmas so by lighting output it’s probably not that strong

• Like 1

I feed mysis to my LPS and reef roids. I also dose this stuff called fuel pretty often. My acans are always happy and since April one of them has grown around 11 new heads. 

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, specore said:

I've never heard of this before.  Not that I dont believe you, but do you know of any sources on that?  I'd like to take a read into this.  

6 minutes ago, patback said:

I've never heard of this before.  Not that I dont believe you, but do you know of any sources on that?  I'd like to take a read into this.  

I thought I had read this somewhere, but this statement may not be correct.  However, there are trace amounts of copper in many coral supplements and salt mixes and it has no adverse effect on coral.  Then you get into organic vs inorganic and other chemistry which effects the toxicity of copper.  Bottom line is we all feed reef and fish foods to our corals without worrying about what level of copper may or not be present.  Aquavitro Fuel specifically lists copper on the label and many hobbyists have fed it without issue. 

• Like 1

I feel mine reef roids which is broadcast fed the day of waterchange.

I like to alternate between feeding frozen cyclops and mysis or pellet food.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:25 PM, Will_0505 said:

I have a fluval evo still with stock light(like a noob) I’m upgrading to a kessil A80 or a AI prime by Christmas so by lighting output it’s probably not that strong

The fluval light is fine for lps and soft corals, some even have sps under it.

It's just not programmable so it limits a persons ability to change the spectrum

23 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I feel mine reef roids which is broadcast fed the day of waterchange.

I like to alternate between feeding frozen cyclops and mysis or pellet food.

The fluval light is fine for lps and soft corals, some even have sps under it.

It's just not programmable so it limits a persons ability to change the spectrum

Ye I decided to get knockoff I guess u can say kessil. My cousin is a electrician and I’m pretty close with him and he gonna make me a custom light exactly like a kessil for free. Only diff is name and look the light is gonna look more like the A160s even tho it a A80