Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube 32 Rockwork

FrancineJ

Hey guys... I’m in a much friendlier mood today lol 😂 

i just wanted to post a pick of my sons rockscape he build... it’s very study and he did it all on his own... just wanting to know if this looks ok before we add sand and water.... I’m going to do a little drawing on the picture (as I’m waiting for a last minute part change)

we can both fit our hands and magfloat around all sides of the rockwork and there is around 29-30lbs in there (I don’t think that’s too much) and are planning on 1” to 1 1/2” s of sand (closer to 1 and a half)

We also have our final fish selection so any comments on that would be great:

2x clownfish 

1x purple firefish

1x blue-green chromis

1x YWG (and Pistol shrimp- probably Randall’s- if not a tiger pistol) 

Do you think this is too many with that amount of rock and sand or will they be ok? They all seem to be peaceful with the acception of the clownfish possibly...

My plan is to add a second Hydor Aqamai KPS... (where the circle is) I know that they are fairly powerful on their own (up to over 1000 and some gph each) but I plan to keep them on a lower speed ect and use the programming well

I plan to keep the one where it is... pointed at the rockwork... the other (where the circle is, when it gets here tomorrow or Monday) and keep it pointed more behind the rock work to keep the detritus off from the back off the rock... and keep the stock output pointed towards the surface for gas exchange/oxygenation (May upgrade this part as well but not for now)

Let me know what you guys think- and don’t worry no offense will be taken this time at all lol promise! You can even make fun of my drawings lol 😂 (just ignore where things are pointed now... I tried to point everything towards the rock work for cycling purposes but will change it up a bit when we start to add fish)

A73D739D-61BB-46B2-8A5E-32D97F4A8FB8.jpeg

The rockwork is nice.

You don't need that much rock, 25lbs is enough.

Hard to see with that angle of pic how much room you have for fish and corals. Just ensure there is enough room for coral placement and growth.

Ok In the morning I will post some others... I was planning on less rock but then other people were telling me to use  at least a pound per gallon (because it’s Caribsea shapes dry rock... I’ll add to the photos in the morning... we have some smaller loose peices that we can take out... so that should leave us with around 25lbs or so

maybe to give you an idea the Wavemaker is about the size of an egg sideways 

thank! 

If you are happy that's all that matters.

Just giving you an idea what to think of for future because alot of us have ended re aquascaping because of lack of room.

It's a cool scape.

The 1-2lb per gallon rule is old.

Oh ok.. I wasn’t going by research I was going by what people on here and other forums told me lol 😂 and I know it’s hard to to like you said from angles on pictures but we can fit our whole hands down every side and there is a ton of room around the back and the sides... 

but I will try and get some better pictures... maybe from above so you can see better and then you can let me know if you think that fish list would have enough room to be happy.... we don’t “plan” on adding a ton of corals... he was some green star polyps and a zoa garden or something like that... he mainly wants all softies and maybe like 1-2 of the easier lps (not sure of the names) but he’s looking for a few nice corals and those fish... so once I post some more pics from different angles you can let me know what you think 🙂

I think the rockscape looks really great, but you may want to take some out to leave more swimming space for your fish and more room for your corals. I used Caribsea Liferock in both my tanks and I love it. I had too much in the beginning in my Biocube 16 and just took a piece out as time went on. I think you could make changes now, or just think about it some for now and adjust it later if needed. 

Since you alluded to your previous mood, I read through your previous post and wanted to comment that I’m still pretty new and I remember taking offense to some people’s comments in the beginning myself. Now I’ve gotten to know the community better I understand different people’s styles and personalities more and I’ve come to appreciate we’re a diverse group of people and most are trying to help and support one another. I have a better sense now of how certain people are likely to reply, and it feels like it’s friendly most of the time, even though we don’t all see eye to eye and may give very different advice. 

Some people say things that may come across as pretty crazy or harsh, but that may just be their personality, or it may be a misunderstanding because it can be so hard to know someone’s tone when it’s in writing. Also, some people ask a lot of questions, get input, and plan, while others of us just like to go for it and figure it out as we go. 

I’m kinda cheesy and sentimental about this forum and the people on it because I started my first tank to help distract me from stressors at the time, so everyone here has been like a second family to me, helping me get through all that even though they didn’t even know it. I hope you stick it out here, and find the information and support you need. 

• Like 1

How much rock did you try the first time and how much do you have now?

also, it has absolutely nothing to do with reef tanks so I had no intention of going into detail but I was in a VERY bad car accident 3 and 1/2 years ago.... fish keeping is about all I have left.... I suffered from (and continue to because it was so bad it will never heal) a traumatic brain injury... I have memory loss... confusion.... balance problems (I fall several times a week).... I take panic attack, anxiety attacks... and more.... and that’s just the brain injury.... I also can’t move my neck or right shoulder/arm... and it’s so bad no surgery or surgeon will touch them.... I used to have my own practice (psychology) and now I’ve become the patient.... it’s tough... no excuse for me getting upset... I had no problem with the advice that was given... I appreciated that... it was the first part of the comment that struck me and struck me hard.... about being paranoid about every little thing and so on... Truth is I am... but I can’t help it.... I don’t want to miss something or screw something up simply because this is my sons tank and I don’t want to be responsible if something goes wrong.... I write every little thing down... every little piece of advise that people give me so I don’t forget from what the levels should be to how much rock to add... and I try to read all the instructions but reading does not come easy to me anymore so when I read that you shouldn’t immerse the MJ1200 past 3ft, yes I had concerns about dropping it into a 32g brute which to me looks taller or close to 3ft.... I’ve saved and saved for all of this stuff for him... it’s his xmas present because it has cost so much plus I eventually hope to be able to save up enough to get him the LED upgrade by actual Xmas time so he can add an anemone  or 2 (no idea how to spell it lol) for his clowns... I know they don’t “need one” but he’d love it... I just want to do it right (as much as possible) the first time.... I know there will be mistakes... but I just don’t want them to be huge ones... like the pump thing... that’s a huge failure if I did it or do it wrong.... it runs the whole tank... if that screws up then the tanks will screw up and in a very short amount of time... another reason I am adding another powerhead... at least there will be some more kind of oxygenation going on... I’m still not confident even after running water through it for hours that I have it right and that’s just my head and the way it works now....

om going to try and roughly take out about 5lbs... which will leave me with 24-25lbs in it (we weighed it and it was around 29-30lbs) there are a few small pieces (breakage ones) and one of the smaller arches that I think will be about 5 lbs... I will post an updated picture this morning (in a hour or 2) when I take them out... and put up some different angles so you guys can compare the before and after... I was also so paranoid we were going to use this special epoxy stuff (the beads) I forget what they are called but now I realize that we don’t even need them... the rocks are 100% stable... I shook the whole tank so that it nearly came off the stand and the rocks didn’t budge so I’m fairly certain that they will be ok... and I’m just going to put sand around the structure and not bother using egg crate anymore (I watched a BRS video and they say just put the rock on the glass and then put the sand around everything... is that how you did it as well?

thank you everyone for all your help and I apologize for the long post... 😕

Ok so we took out about 5lbs... we have around 24-25lbs now in the 32....

i tried to get the best pictures I could however it was hard lol but I got some different angles.... let me know what you guys think...

also it appears (I guess it’s the angle) that some of our rock is right up against the glass but it’s not...like not even close lol... I can fit my whole hand around and into all edges and sides... 

** one of my uploads failed so I’m not sure if you will get double of one picture or not lol 

These were the best angles I could get... but when you see it in real life there is more room than what it appears in the pictures... not sure how else I can take them lol

5FBF6D2A-C9D5-4CCF-BBFA-B2C510BB59B6.jpeg

08254F27-527F-4FD9-A9E8-732D4C6DB399.jpeg

576309A5-A4B0-4EE5-9330-BB33265A9BA5.jpeg

6C4A89C5-1557-4B82-A7DD-9BD910203518.jpeg

C6E1DB38-40C1-452B-8026-ABF878E895F3.jpeg

That looks awesome!

And thanks for sharing your situation. My background is in mental health nursing, and I understand how tough it can be after a traumatic brain injury. 

You are doing such a great thing for your son, creating this tank for him. And hopefully the experience will be a positive one for you, as my tank has been for me. 

All I can say is when someone writes something on here that bothers you, remember it only took them a minute to write, and they may or may not have meant it in a rude way, so try to just let it go rather than letting it get to you and taking tons of your time and happiness away. Even if what they said seemed rude, I just try to ignore the comment and move on to the next one and then I just think to myself they are probably just a rude person. 

Tons of people on here will try to help. I picked this forum over others specifically because people are very helpful and kind to each other. 

I just wanted to say I empathize with your situation and the daily struggles you live with.

It's very hard going from "normal" to having a life of limitations.

My fish tanks are my escape, the one thing I still have and can enjoy. 

The aquascape looks great. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with your above post... like I said that’s all I have left... they also help me with my anxiety disorder and panic disorder because when I have an attack I can just sit and watch them swim around... it helps calm me...

and it wasn’t even really a rude comment or anything... just when you go from having a masters degree in psychology to not being able to put on your own socks some days... little things can make you over react... not to mention that my brain doesn’t work like before... a brain injury of my severity has completely changed the person I was... not just in the things I can do but literally changed everything about me... I don’t act the same... think the same... so yes I do over process stuff and I am annoying at times with the questions... but I do apologize lol

moving on now... so you guys think that one looks better? More room for stuff- keeping in mind that the pictures make it look like there’s way less space lol 

in a couple it looks like the rock is actually touching the glass and it’s no where even close to it... like I said I can fit my whole hand in it and I’m nearly certain that the magfloat would even fit (if it doesn’t then we will just clean that tiny spot by hand but I’m sure it will and those are fairly thick....

also so I noticed on a lot of tanks people just keep their mag floats attached... is that necessary with salt water? I know it can be done but I always just take mine out afterwards and clean it and store it under the tank but wasn’t sure why in so so many pictures it’s attached all the time?

The rockscape looks just right to me.

You can take your cleaning magnet out or leave it in, either would work. But I clean my glass almost daily so I just leave it in there. I like the ones that are black plastic for keeping in the tank since they blend in more. I have a flipper nano scraper to use over most of the glass and also a two little fishies nano mag that I use for tight spaces and the corners. 

Ya I was going to buy a new one but I had a small size mag float unopened just sitting here... so I figured I’d try that... but they are light in color so I may paint it with something safe for reef tanks (black) for less algae or just take it in and out... or I may just buy a new one... as the salt water ones appear thinner.. and better...does the first one you are talking about have like the algae magnet and a scraper attached? I thought I seen one like that somewhere online but now I don’t remember where or what it was... but it had like the scraper that would come out of the magnetic part so it would be hidden and not injure the fish if left on the tank... 

2 hours ago, FrancineJ said:

I totally agree with your above post... like I said that’s all I have left... they also help me with my anxiety disorder and panic disorder because when I have an attack I can just sit and watch them swim around... it helps calm me...

and it wasn’t even really a rude comment or anything... just when you go from having a masters degree in psychology to not being able to put on your own socks some days... little things can make you over react... not to mention that my brain doesn’t work like before... a brain injury of my severity has completely changed the person I was... not just in the things I can do but literally changed everything about me... I don’t act the same... think the same... so yes I do over process stuff and I am annoying at times with the questions... but I do apologize lol

moving on now... so you guys think that one looks better? More room for stuff- keeping in mind that the pictures make it look like there’s way less space lol 

in a couple it looks like the rock is actually touching the glass and it’s no where even close to it... like I said I can fit my whole hand in it and I’m nearly certain that the magfloat would even fit (if it doesn’t then we will just clean that tiny spot by hand but I’m sure it will and those are fairly thick....

also so I noticed on a lot of tanks people just keep their mag floats attached... is that necessary with salt water? I know it can be done but I always just take mine out afterwards and clean it and store it under the tank but wasn’t sure why in so so many pictures it’s attached all the time?

There is no need to apologize.

I like the rockwork.

I only made mention of the room because of personal experience having to change things because I decided on different corals.

This is a common thing, we all think only a few soft corals and then that plan goes out the door.lol.

Since this tank is your sons(not sure his age) I just want to give you a heads up on some info if he will be working in the tank. 

Some zoanthids may have palytoxin in it. 

Paly's definitely have palytoxin.

I would read up on this so you know what to do and what not to do, for precaution.

They are normally not an issue but I feel it's best to let ppl know, especially if a child is involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes he has done his research as well lol he is 12... he already has his proper gloves and face protection... lol

He knows more about the coral aspect then I do... I just try and research what step I’m on... otherwise I will forget lol

So now that the rock is good we are going to add sand and salt water tonight... start it up with just the filterfloss and he’s going to check it twice a day until the sand settles and then check it once a day when he checks his water levels... once everything has settled down then we are going to start our cycling with ammonia (dr tim’s) and add the biospira and test away lol... he knows how to do all the tests and such himself... he currently looks after his own 64g Axolotl tank... everything from feeding (he has a whole schedule on what days they get pellets and what days they get worms and what days the older ones get starvation days lol 

He even does his 406 canister filter cleaning once a month on his own.... and all his water changes... plus he helps me with my 100 tanks lol he will clean the filter while I am cleaning the glass or vice versa... he’s been raised since he was born with a lot of fish and aquatic animals lol so he knows his stuff... he even does the salt mixing for our brackish stuff and nails it every time lol 

He should probably be the one on here not me lol... he spent the rest of his night after school and then hockey practice cutting out each square of the huge rolls of InTank filter floss to the exact size... he tested the whole first roll before I told him to just stop and use the one square as a pattern.... lol he wanted to test each and every one to make sure they were all going to fit perfectly and then put them all in a nice pile in one of his totes lmao 😂 But yes I supervise anything dangerous that might shoot out poison or crap lol 

• Like 2

It's good to be safe not just from poison but allergies, sensitivity, and bacteria.

Something in my tanks irritates my skin so I wear gloves.

With my first tank yrs ago, my frogspawn stung my hand, so I started wearing gloves then.

• Wow 1

We even wear gloves when dealing in our freshwater tanks... not so much for our protection but for the fish... it’s just safer all around for everyone! 🙂 

• Like 1

If you are on Facebook and live in Ontario a good group is ORK

Ontario reef keepers.

Lots of people selling corals, fish, etc. Plus announcements for various reef shows

• Like 1