Pod Your Reef

40b or a 75 gallon

REEFreefLJS85

REEFreefLJS85

Im stuck on getting a 40b or a 75 gallon.

If I get the 40b I will drill it and have a sump. It is not tempered glass. The sump will have a skimmer and refug. The 75 gallon will not have a sump because I cant drill it and I dont trust HOB overflow. It will have a HOB skimmer and HOB filter for media. 

The 40b will be 40 bucks due to the $ per gallon and petco and the 75 gallon will be from petco as well but its not a $ per gallon. Its on sale for 89.00 bucks right now. Which is still a good deal due to the regular price is 180.

Which one would you get? Your input is appreciated. 

The 40b is not on the $1/gal sale either. I just got one and it cost $50+tax. Why can't you drill the 75? I am planning a 75 gallon using the 40b as the sump and will be drilling the 75. To my knowledge (and research) most 75 are only tempered on the bottom. The back can be drilled just as easily as the 40b.

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85
20 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

The 40b is not on the $1/gal sale either. I just got one and it cost $50+tax. Why can't you drill the 75? I am planning a 75 gallon using the 40b as the sump and will be drilling the 75. To my knowledge (and research) most 75 are only tempered on the bottom. The back can be drilled just as easily as the 40b.

The 40b is on sale here where i live. I just checked it out yesterday and it was a sign on the tank. Maybe the stores are different. The 75 and the 55 are  not $ per gallon but they are still cheap. The 75 is 89 and 55 is around 60. The 75 is a hit or miss for the tempered glass. I spoke with Aqueon and they said if there is a label on the tank that says dont drill, it means it tempered. Its also a chart on their website as well that says what is tempered or not. I also seen people try and drill that same tank and it exploded. So I am not going to take a chance. I rather not have a sump than to waste money and have a tank explode. 

You can check for yourself with a laptop and a pair of polarized sunglasses. If you are not comfortable drilling the 75, then I would go with the 40b with sump. I prefer the clean look of the system with sump.

• Like 1

Just take some polarized sunglasses in to Petco with you and check out the 75g. Personally I'd always recommend a sump. Just so much easier having one for equipment. So for me, if the 75g does end up being tempered then I'd settle on the 40b for the sake of having a sump. But if the 75g isn't tempered, thats a great price and a good amount of more room. I've had two 40b's and ended up running out of room fast and upgrading.

• Like 1

The bottom pane of most 75 gallon tanks are tempered; however, the sides usually are not.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_tZ0unVL8Fkk/TTIgLOM3FwI/AAAAAAAAArM/bxT7kFc6AwM/s800/page0001.jpg

But yeah, I agree, get a pair a polarized glasses and check it out before buying. 

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85

I am going to try the polarized glass test when I am able to find some. Where can I find some cheap one. I dont want to spend to much on it due to its only a one time thing. I am really hoping I can drill the 75 gallon. That mean alot of fish option due to size compared to the 40b

REEFreefLJS85
2 hours ago, seabass said:

The bottom pane of most 75 gallon tanks are tempered; however, the sides usually are not.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_tZ0unVL8Fkk/TTIgLOM3FwI/AAAAAAAAArM/bxT7kFc6AwM/s800/page0001.jpg

But yeah, I agree, get a pair a polarized glasses and check it out before buying. 

So I did the test and the 75 or 55 can drilled.

• Like 1

As stated above, go with the 75 if it is not tempered. I purchased a 40b in the sale to use as a sump for my upcoming 75 build. I hope to get a 75 if I can find one in town this weekend. So far not Petco has any near me.

Why not something that's already reef ready?  I love our Deep Blue 80 gallon tanks, they're the perfect reef tank. The dimensions are 24x48x16 tall and can usually be had around $350 new and around $200-$250 used. Get a 40B for a sump and you're set.

I guess I am the minority. I hated the depth of my 75g...never again! I would go 40B all the way.... If I was going bigger it would be the 80 shallow. 

20 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Why not something that's already reef ready?  I love our Deep Blue 80 gallon tanks, they're the perfect reef tank. The dimensions are 24x48x16 tall and can usually be had around $350 new and around $200-$250 used. Get a 40B for a sump and you're set.

I have also looked at the Deep Blue reef ready tanks, but I am not a big fan of the pre-installed overflows in them. I personally prefer the shadow overflows (or similar) as they take up MUCH less real estate in the tank. Also for about $90 on sale, I would absolutely jump on the 75g.