Coral Vue Hydros

Birds nest is slowly bleaching

coryscritch

Hi guys so I’ve had my tank up and running since March. All parameters are good. Everything else in the tank is doing well. I noticed my birds nest starting to bleach out and I’m not too sure why? Maybe it’s sick?  

FC923187-3FE8-409E-8AAD-AC92C41A7CE9.jpeg

image.jpg

A number of things, exposed to air to long during water change, alkalinity, could be the shaded area, change in lighting. Just throwing those out there as stuff I've seen. 

18 minutes ago, markalot said:

I only see missing skin in the shaded area, is this the case?  If so then it's just shading.  Are you using a single LED spotlight?

There are some pieces on the top as well which is in the lit area.

I didn't even notice the ones in the shaded area. Lol

I’m not too sure what the deal is because I have another sps right next to it that is thriving. I guess I’ll move it down a bit and see if that helps. I’m bummed it was doing so well 

1 hour ago, coryscritch said:

I’m not too sure what the deal is because I have another sps right next to it that is thriving. I guess I’ll move it down a bit and see if that helps. I’m bummed it was doing so well 

I wouldn't move it. Going white on sps doesn't always mean bleaching due to light.

Birdsnest doesn't like change and moving it without knowing if light is the cause can further the problem.

• Thanks 1

I agree w/not moving it.  

How long has it been in the tank?  How long in this spot?

What are your test results like?

What are you using for flow?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Update: the birds nest is back! I’ve stabilized conditions in the tank. My weekly water changes were not enough. I started dosing two part about 4ml a day of each. Keeping my alkalinity around 11.  

Still cant get zoa’s to grow at all in this tank. 

A17C985B-072C-4E24-9947-1CDAE3D16C2A.jpeg

6A2DAD60-DB90-48E6-A67F-59E18003830D.jpeg

504CCCD1-93E1-435F-A68C-CD01C7BF5D22.jpeg

• Like 4