Pod Your Reef

Best nano wave maker?

wmjr

That's going to be subjective. What's your budget? I really like my MP10 if you have a sizable budget for this particular component. The quality is top notch in my opinion. There are people who swear by cheaper models though and they probably work very well. However you said you want the best. So the MP10 gets my vote. 

There are A LOT of good wavemakers out there. As clown said, you will get a lot of different answers. The MP10 is a quality pump, but the price is very high, and I dislike the lack of ability to angle the pump. I have heard a lot of good things about the Aqua Mai and Current pumps, and MANY reefers use Jebao due to their lower cost. It really all depends on what you want from your pump.

• Like 1

Main thing I would suggest is get something controllable.  The flexibility to dial the flow up or down to suit your needs is extremely helpful.  Other than that is comes down to what bells and whistles you want and how much you are willing to pay.  I like my Vortechs.  Didn't have a great experience with the old Jabeo WP series, yet found their RW series pumps to be functional and durable.  

Thanks for the replies! I currently have a Red Sea wavemaster pro hooked up to 2 maxi jets. Been running it for around 7 years and it just died, so looking to replace. It did okay but was very noisy and hard on the pumps. Willing to pay for something that will last. 

A Little Blue
17 minutes ago, wmjr said:

If I went with the MP10 would there be much benefit to the wireless model? Would 1 pump be enough? 

I don’t think that’s enough flow. It’s a single source flow. I would rather go with two pumps (1 top/ 1lower section) to provide more even flow. It would also help in reducing dead spots. Just my opinion. 

2 KPS pumps would cost around retail price of MP10. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use 1 aqamai kps in my 25g and it's under 60% or it's too much flow for my corals.

Not sure if 1 mp10 is enough.

I guess it depends on coral species, aquascape etc. I got 3 kps in 30L between 60-100. None of my corals mind the flow intensity. I'm actually looking to upgrade one of kps to AI Nero5.

But I do understand that some corals, in some tanks might not take that kind of flow kindly. 

19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I guess it depends on coral species, aquascape etc. I got 3 kps in 30L between 60-100. None of my corals mind the flow intensity. I'm actually looking to upgrade one of kps to AI Nero5.

But I do understand that some corals, in some tanks might not take that kind of flow kindly. 

I tore 2 torches which died,  my hammers and frogspawn get all bent and close up. 

My mushrooms, blasto, and plate look deformed. 

That's the problem with flow and light. You can have too much or too little. Each tank is different.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I tore 2 torches which died,  my hammers and frogspawn get all bent and close up. 

My mushrooms, blasto, and plate look deformed. 

That's the problem with flow and light. You can have too much or too little. Each tank is different.

My experience is a bit different. I have frogspawns, torches, RFA, zoas, gonis among other corals classified as low-medium flow. 

Perhaps we are confusing high direct flow with a LOT of not directional flow from multiple sources. Non of my corals gets a direct flow. Flow is coming either from top of the water column and being diffused by tank walls or other hard surfaces or flow that is buffered by rock structure from two pumps at the bottom of the tank. 

So, I think definition and application of a “high” flow might be misunderstood. 

None of my corals are even near the powerhead, so its definitely not direct.

I use glass walls for flow because my aquascape makes it hard to use the rock, it makes the flow ineffective.

Since dropping my kps % everything has been happy. 

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

None of my corals are even near the powerhead, so its definitely not direct.

I use glass walls for flow because my aquascape makes it hard to use the rock, it makes the flow ineffective.

Since dropping my kps % everything has been happy. 

Are you rotating thru various modes? Non of my pumps is on constant mode (except night mode when tank and fish gets some gentler flow).

Have you tried pointing kps upwards towards the water surface? 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Are you rotating thru various modes? Non of my pumps is on constant mode (except night mode when tank and fish gets some gentler flow).

Have you tried pointing kps upwards towards the water surface? 

No, never use constant. It's too harsh.

Same thing happened with my jebao.

My kps is pointed upwards, about 2" below water surface(any more and literally blows my corals to one side.

My hubby customized the kps settings and now things are happy but it's nowhere near 100%.

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

No, never use constant. It's too harsh.

Same thing happened with my jebao.

My kps is pointed upwards, about 2" below water surface(any more and literally blows my corals to one side.

My hubby customized the kps settings and now things are happy but it's nowhere near 100%.

I get it if your scape won’t allow it.

My flow with 3 pumps ON doesn’t seem to be all that turbulent (except on the back wall behind rocks). 

Doubtfully these pics will tell the whole story but this is how my pumps are setup: 

settings (from most turbulent flow of the day) for top pump in the middle, two bottom ones on the right

D4C93D87-7A85-4F11-949D-C5901F336FD6.thumb.jpeg.e213ab68ff700384511eff6c91d1323f.jpeg

Bottom left

385A9471-8946-4774-BBCB-B9CE3A1E7F44.thumb.jpeg.6b813a2f323a78601b08b43ecd5406e5.jpeg

Bottom right

0CA8BEF2-4165-4514-94C6-38D7CBB72EFB.thumb.jpeg.53510e771fe320f8b237665a749255f0.jpeg

3846DD50-21D4-4A2E-901E-8C7AE8B42819.thumb.jpeg.b7808606b8b23e6ac62a59d8444642c6.jpeg

Depends on your definition of enough flow. One mp10 in a Biocube is way too much flow in a biocube if it’s turned up all the way. I think what little blue was saying is having only one wave maker is tough because you are sure to have dead spots due to aquascape . I have one mp10 on my 32 cube and if it’s up all the way it will blow frags off the rocks lol. That being said I love the pump but run it at 40 percent. I use the return pump for surface agitation and use one korrila towards the bottom to circulate water around the rock structure to try and eliminate dead spots. Oh and the mp10 on the side to give the corals flow ..

A Little Blue
17 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Depends on your definition of enough flow. One mp10 in a Biocube is way too much flow in a biocube if it’s turned up all the way. I think what little blue was saying is having only one wave maker is tough because you are sure to have dead spots due to aquascape . I have one mp10 on my 32 cube and if it’s up all the way it will blow frags off the rocks lol. That being said I love the pump but run it at 40 percent. I use the return pump for surface agitation and use one korrila towards the bottom to circulate water around the rock structure to try and eliminate dead spots. Oh and the mp10 on the side to give the corals flow ..

Exactly @Weikel!!!! (Btw I like your flow setup and that’s what I would recommend to anyone). That’s what I meant. Sure, MP10 can make a sandstorm but that’s not what I meant by strong flow. Strong (not sure what that means exactly tho but .....) flow throughout the tank without dead spots and enough flow to move detritus up and out to the overflow. Also enough flow to move nutrients throughout the tank and deliver food to all corals despite their location. 

Thats why I am a strong believer in more than one source of flow. Randomized flow from various locations is what I meant. KPS is rated up to 1050 gph (I think) so with 3 KPS pumps that average at %80 = 2500gph (plus 300gph from return pump = more or less 2800gph) on 30 gallon tank (27g of acctual water volume). 

Yes, turnaround of 100X per hour of tank volume seems ridiculous but I can post a short video of the most turbulent period of the day and you will be shocked to see how mellow the flow actually is. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Yes, turnaround of 100X per hour of tank volume seems ridiculous but I can post a short video of the most turbulent period of the day and you will be shocked to see how mellow the flow actually is. 

Oh I belive ya. I also think some of these pump companies are pretty liberal with there "gph" ratings too lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue
11 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Oh I belive ya. I also think some of these pump companies are pretty liberal with there "gph" ratings too lol

You are probably right about ratings. Also, poorly maintained pump can’t be expected to work at its peak. So, periodic cleaning is a must IMHO. 

Here uncut quick vid I just took to show the most turbulent period of 3 KPS pumps.

Focusing only on fleshy corals to emphasize the movement. Apologies for  poor sound and shaky quality. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Interested to see the Nero5 on the 30l. Hope you pull the trigger.

In the last few years, I have used Jabeo. For their price, you really cannot beat them. I have the TW-10 (or similar, they change model numbers frequently) on my 20G. Its on the lowest flow setting on random mode and it is a great little pump. It is also small so two of them would easily fit in a 29G. I had one of the first Vortech MP10s and it was nice a pump but their first gen was noisy. If I am paying $250+ for a pump, it should be silent. I'm sure they have fixed this issue since but $250 is a lot of coral...