Top Shelf Aquatics

Fusion 20 Overfilling Issues

Begow

Like the title says, I have a Fusion 20 with the normal return pump. Tonight I came home with some water around my tank and salt creep going down one side. 

I figured it was probably the ATO so I cleaned it really well and it’s soaking in a vinegar/water solution. But while sitting here I glance over and notice the water level in my display is rising and hitting my screen. 

What could be causing this? So far I cleaned the overflow vents, cleaned and replaced all filter media in my baskets and cleaned my skimmer thoroughly. 

Any other ideas? 

Do you dose any sort of bacteria or liquid carbon/biopellets? When I did it would clog my filter sock real fast. 

Otherwise maybe too much crammed in there impeding flow? 

8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Do you dose any sort of bacteria or liquid carbon/biopellets? When I did it would clog my filter sock real fast. 

Otherwise maybe too much crammed in there impeding flow? 

Just one filter bag with carbon. I rinsed and replaced regardless. Everything seems fine now but I’m afraid to go to bed lol 

I don’t think it’s your pump. If something is impeding water going into your display tank that shouldn’t overflow it. 

The problem with overflowing your tank is either the ATO (which you can just check you fresh water reservoir to see if a lot is missing), or something impacting your overflow like to much crammed in the 1st and second chambers. 

9 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

I don’t think it’s your pump. If something is impeding water going into your display tank that shouldn’t overflow it. 

The problem with overflowing your tank is either the ATO (which you can just check you fresh water reservoir to see if a lot is missing), or something impacting your overflow like to much crammed in the 1st and second chambers. 

My 5g just did this.

Water level dropped in chambers and rised in display.

I cleaned the pump and hose and all was back to normal.

That's why I offered it as a suggestion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

My 5g just did this.

Water level dropped in chambers and rised in display.

I cleaned the pump and hose and all was back to normal.

That's why I offered it as a suggestion.

Logically if you are overflowing in your display tank then water is going through your pump and into your display tank. 

So therefore you can conclude something is blocking water going back into your chamber (hence overflowed display tank- which begow himself witnessed)

If the pump was blocked and impeded flow, couldn’t I just replicate impeded/slow flow with turning down my return pump speed? Still shouldn’t cause an issue. 

Maybe details were left out but that is the logical explanation. 

Does the 20 come with a screen top with the plastic clips? If so are you using it? I know people have had issues with the nuvo 10 and the little clips creating a siphon that sucks water up and over the side. 

• Thanks 1

I too have an issue with my trochus blocking the overflow, but it just sets of my ato alarm and fortunately doesn't overflow. 

But if that was the Ops issues the display wouldn't be overflowing. 

47 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

Logically if you are overflowing in your display tank then water is going through your pump and into your display tank. 

So therefore you can conclude something is blocking water going back into your chamber (hence overflowed display tank- which begow himself witnessed)

If the pump was blocked and impeded flow, couldn’t I just replicate impeded/slow flow with turning down my return pump speed? Still shouldn’t cause an issue. 

Maybe details were left out but that is the logical explanation. 

I can't explain it because I don't get it myself but mine  had a slightly higher water level in my display while the water level dropped in my return.

I unplugged the pump, turned it back on and it corrected itself.

It then the problem returned 10mins later.

I then cleaned the pump and hose and it's not happened again.

It was just a suggestion, l

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I can't explain it because I don't get it myself but mine  had a slightly higher water level in my display while the water level dropped in my return.

I unplugged the pump, turned it back on and it corrected itself.

It then the problem returned 10mins later.

I then cleaned the pump and hose and it's not happened again.

It was just a suggestion, l

I gotcha lol Any suggestions help when no one knows what’s going on haha

I have the Fusion 20 as well. I have had my display water rise because of an overflow blockage/restriction.

If you have your ATO sensor in the pump chamber, then if there is any blockage or flow restriction from the overflows, it will cause the water level in the tank to rise and DROP in the return pump chamber. This would then activate your ATO adding water to the system. The added water may cause enough pressure in the display tank to force past the restriction or blockage. This then could create a cycle of continually adding water, over coming the blockage, and eventually over flowing the tank. This is also true if your ATO is above any of the baffles.

I have my ATO set to just above the baffle that leads into the return pump chamber. I wanted a higher water level to cut down on noise from my AC50 refugium. I have recently had an issue where my circ pump would cause water to 'splash' out the top. This was only due to clogged up filter floss. I just replaced it and haven't had the issue.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

I gotcha lol Any suggestions help when no one knows what’s going on haha

Honestly, my hubby and me both shook our heads because we don't get it. It's not logical to us.

Just came back from a short vacation. Seems cleaning my ATO sensor, all my filter baskets and overflow vents solved it as far as I can tell. No salt creep on the sides, auto top off didn’t run excessively etc. 

I’m guessing it was likely the overflow vents and baskets being clogged or filled with too much stuff. 

I appreciate all the feedback, hopefully this remains resolved. 

Tonight I came home and checked the tank after a long day at work. It’s 100% the clips for the screen that are creating some kind of siphon and causing the water to run down the side of the tank. 

I took it off for tonight and will check for fixes tomorrow. Sigh. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, MrObscura said:

Does the 20 come with a screen top with the plastic clips? If so are you using it? I know people have had issues with the nuvo 10 and the little clips creating a siphon that sucks water up and over the side. 

This was the issue. I came home tonight and noticed a small stream leaking directly from the clip for my screen top. 

I took it off tonight but I’m terrified of fish loss as I do have a Midas Blenny which is easily my favorite fish. Maybe I can trim down the clips some to help with the siphon issues. 

Tbanks man! 

• Like 1

Yeah that's a known problem with these tanks and those particular clips. Not sure why..........I have (well had until my 1.5 year old son destroyed it while I had it off the tank one day) a BRS DIY screen and it looks exactly the same but didn't do that. Mystery for sure. There's even a you tube video about it by some guy. Let me see if I can find it I think he had a fix for it..........Looks like he just drilled some holes in it. 

• Like 1