Pod Your Reef

Chaeto light

12scanlon

10 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Looks good, I run a big panel of hortaculture LEDs that I got from amazon. The light worked very well for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get some dead LEDs after a couple weeks. Happened to mine.

Ok. Hopefully I have better luck with it and no LEDS die. I’m not to worried about it. The chaetos been growing in my back chamber with just a little bit of light so it’ll be fine. 

15 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

I saw that user manual and my first thought was “oh great...what kind of light is this?”

so so glad I was wrong 

😂😂👍🏻

On 10/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, OPtasia said:

Chaeto max light. 

That is what I have been using. It's velcroed to the back on my 2nd chamber on my Fluval 13.5.  But yeah It costs a bit more.

8 hours ago, MrJoel said:

That is what I have been using. It's velcroed to the back on my 2nd chamber on my Fluval 13.5.  But yeah It costs a bit more.

Nice.

OK, gang. You have my attention, per the Acke light. Ive been running a 5 white led strip, cant remember the name, in my mini ‘fuge for the last several months with very little growth in the cheato. Reading up on wavelengths im pretty sure white aint the way to go. My question is: does this fixture heat up excessively? Because my tank is in my bedroom i have to tape the light directly to the tank back to eliminate light leak into the room at night, and my concern is over heating the tank glass causing a crack due to temp differential between the front and back sides of the glass (thermal shock), or excessive heat transfer to the water itself causing a temp spike in the tank. Input from current users appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

OK, gang. You have my attention, per the Acke light. Ive been running a 5 white led strip, cant remember the name, in my mini ‘fuge for the last several months with very little growth in the cheato. Reading up on wavelengths im pretty sure white aint the way to go. My question is: does this fixture heat up excessively? Because my tank is in my bedroom i have to tape the light directly to the tank back to eliminate light leak into the room at night, and my concern is over heating the tank glass causing a crack due to temp differential between the front and back sides of the glass (thermal shock), or excessive heat transfer to the water itself causing a temp spike in the tank. Input from current users appreciated.

I don't use it and was concerned about that myself.

Another option is the IM chaeto max light. More expensive but designed to be placed on the glass.

So far, i haven’t noticed any excessive heat coming from the fixture. 

This is light is by far the way to go. In the last 4 days my chaeto has grown exponentially. It’s multiplyed it’s size by about half in FOUR days. Totally recommend this light. Best purchase I’ve made for my tank yet. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

My light has been on the glass and turned on 24/7 for a few weeks now. The tank's temp is the same and the fixture is warm to the touch buy not hot by any means.  Much cooler than my main LED light. 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

My light has been on the glass and turned on 24/7 for a few weeks now. The tank's temp is the same and the fixture is warm to the touch buy not hot by any means.  Much cooler than my main LED light. 

How big is ur tank? I have a 14g BC that seems to be a heat engine. Its one of the reasons I pulled the hood off.

5 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

How big is ur tank? I have a 14g BC that seems to be a heat engine. Its one of the reasons I pulled the hood off.

Agreed, my biocube can’t get below 79-80 degrees now because of the hood. For a while the fans in it worked and now the fans run 24/7 and have no effect. I think I’m gonna call Coralife and ask for a replacement. 

20 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

30 gallons, but even then I don't feel much heat on the lights housing....unless there is an infra red angle I am not considering.  

• Thanks 1

UPDATE:

In short, the acke light is AMAZING!! My chaeto has multiplyed its size 3 times in about 10 days. My pod population has also exploded. There are thousands and thousands of pods in my chaeto now and at the rate they are increasing I may be able to house a mandarin (not really interested in getting one though). If you can’t decide on a light to get go with this one. By far the best...

Cheers!😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m using this bulb

7AB383BE-B402-43C5-8877-3A18BDF93F69.thumb.jpeg.891186c3ff5df8051fa05653cd897054.jpeg

On a gooseneck fixture like this:

ED3B489E-CE71-480B-B962-AA7C537D7D50.thumb.jpeg.edf66a3cae35046ee8664bd61c2aa090.jpeg

And although i literally just placed it, my chaeto is pearling. Bulb was 14$ Canadian, and I had the fixture. I like the look of yours much better though, this set up takes too much room.