Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can the glass handle it?

samuelhorn

Hi

Im sitting here thinking about a new nano build. A very long reef, like1400mm*260*mm*200mm. I will use like 8mmm or 10mm thick glass.

To my question: Is there any way to safely calculate if a long side, as long as 140cm, with a height of only 20cm, on a rimless tank, will handle the water pressure without any support?

1 hour ago, Frag Factory said:

Water pressure doesn't increase over length.

It's all about depth.

8mm would certainly be enough, I imagine 6mm would be fine also.

Thank you!

I know that length doesn't affect as depth. But somewhere, when you have a long but not high piece of glass its gonna break even for the smallest preassure without reinforcements. So i wonder where that line is crossed. But you're probably right that this is not even close to that limit. Just want to be really sure 🙂 

I think the issue with length is that while pressure (psi) doesn't increase, the total force on the glass does.  The glass may bow (which is why eurobraces are sometimes used on long or deep rimless tanks) or potentially worse is that it may be too much force for the silicone bond to the ends and bottom could fail.  At the depth you're proposing, the strain on the glass itself would be a small concern relative to many of the big tanks out there.  Still, the thinner the glass, the less surface area for the silicone bond.

I am not familiar with the most appropriate way to calculate the forces, but they talked a bit about in in this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-the-strongest-best-sealent-for-a-aquarium.271037/

• Like 1

The longer and larger the volume of water, the more support the glass needs.

This prevents the tank from bowing which puts pressure on the seams. 

That's why most larger tanks have euro bracing.