ReefCleaners.org

HHernandez25

HHernandez25

So i Just started to cycle my tank (bc8) and my filtration is only filter floss and my LS,is this good or what else should i do to improve the filter and is the LS its self good , i have it with dry rock.

9 hours ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

A lot of people will just use floss when establishing the cycle.  Are you dosing ammonia?

Im not I've been trying to figure out which is best,if only use a piece of shrimp or ghost feed, but to ghost feed do i have to use food flakes for marine animals or can i use any type of flakes.

I'd just use ammonia. Just make sure it's the right type. Most of the ones in stores have soaps in them. It would be safest to use Dr. Tim's....They have it on amazon, ships really fast and it's cheap (less than 10 bucks with shipping). Oh and remember......only 2ppm when you do spike the ammonia. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, HHernandez25 said:

Im not I've been trying to figure out which is best,if only use a piece of shrimp or ghost feed, but to ghost feed do i have to use food flakes for marine animals or can i use any type of flakes.

Well not like breakfast flakes.... i would reccomend ghost feeding with whatever you intend to feed the tank later.  So there are no surprises 

2 hours ago, HHernandez25 said:

Using Dr Tim's ammonia is the cleanest method.

Using food can lead to nutrient issues and you can't control ammonia levels like you can with the liquid.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Well not like breakfast flakes.... i would reccomend ghost feeding with whatever you intend to feed the tank later.  So there are no surprises 

Dammit, maybe that's what i did wrong.  I used corn flakes. 

Any small piece of raw fish, table shrimp, fish food (fresh or marine). The idea behind it is for the food to rot in the tank causing a spike in ammonia. Thus starting your cycle.

You can use floss if you want. Imo its a waste during the cycle. But to each their own.  

What you should be worried/focusing on, is dialing in your temperature. Learning exactly how much your tank evaporates on a daily basis. How often your going to perform water changes. Decide what media if any your going to use. Otherwise, leave the tank be for 28 days. It will cycle all by its lonesome 

• Like 1