Innovative Marine Aquariums

Using nitrate/phosphate removing pads for NPS corals?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi everyone! I have decided that my 10 gallon will be dominated by NPS corals. As many of us know, though, NPS corals produce a lot of nutrients due to the frequent feedings they require; thus...can I safely use the nitrate and phosphate removing pads on a pure NPS tank? There will be no photosynthetic organisms in this tank because I will be keeping the lights low for the sake of the corals. Thanks 🙂

I wouldn't add anything without reason... you have no reason because the tank does not exist yet. I found suns to be extremely tolerate of Nitrate, never tested PO4 so not sure about that but safe to assume it was also high.

This 8g NPS the nitrates/PO4 also ran high.

No PO4/nitrate remove here, though it does have a skimmer.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533637

• Like 1
Floundering_Around

Seeing as it's a ten-gallon tank, just do more frequent water changes rather trying to dose or add chemical filtration. A good water change will set you right

• Like 1
Floundering_Around

in a small tank, it's unnecessary unless it's out of control. A water change will not only remove nitrates and phosphates, but it will also replenish removed calcium, alkalinity, and other major and minor minerals. If you add the chemical media, you'll still need to do a water change to replenish calcium and other good stuff, making the chemical media obsolete (as long as you're on top of your water changes)

1 hour ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

OK. Would it really be that bad to add the nitrate and phosphate removing media, though?

If it gets too low... Yes. Plus I would think due to the feeding the pads would exhaust quickly. People generally use water changes with NPS tanks to control parameters. Feed before a water change and the impact will be limited. If you over feed suns they will barf it back at you. Just feed appropriately. 

• Like 1

Using media when there is no issue can cause issues.

You are assuming you will have high nitrates but you may not if you do weekly waterchanges.

Therefore if you add media that isn't necessary you can strip the tank.

Nps corals rely on food and by using too much media or media when not necessary, will deprive them of their needs.

Start off with basics. Floss, a bit of carbon, waterchanges and go from there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

OK. You think 5 gallons a week would be enough?

No one will know what is enough because every tank is different.

The size of waterchange will depend on your nutrient levels. Generally 10-20% is common and in certain circumstances larger ones are done.

Based on you other posts I would do some research about NPS, their feeding, and filtration in general. I’m not an expert but feeding a 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids twice a day with only a 50% WC once a week seems like a recipe for disaster (especially with a 5000k light). I would suggest looking at what some successful NPS tanks have done. I notice a nutrient spike when I add 1/8 tsp (once a week, with 100%+ weekly WCs), I honestly can’t imagine adding 2.5+ tsp a week before a WC on top of other food in a 10 gallon that doesn’t have a large sump or a dedicated algae reactor. 

• Like 3

Yikes I didn't catch all the posts but there is no reason to add that much reef roids. Target feed the gorgs a small amount and feed the suns mysis 1 time a day max or 3 times a week min. Copy what others have done successfully. 

• Like 2
AlmightyJoshaeus
9 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Based on you other posts I would do some research about NPS, their feeding, and filtration in general. I’m not an expert but feeding a 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids twice a day with only a 50% WC once a week seems like a recipe for disaster (especially with a 5000k light). I would suggest looking at what some successful NPS tanks have done. I notice a nutrient spike when I add 1/8 tsp (once a week, with 100%+ weekly WCs), I honestly can’t imagine adding 2.5+ tsp a week before a WC on top of other food in a 10 gallon that doesn’t have a large sump or a dedicated algae reactor. 

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yikes I didn't catch all the posts but there is no reason to add that much reef roids. Target feed the gorgs a small amount and feed the suns mysis 1 time a day max or 3 times a week min. Copy what others have done successfully. 

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I missed how much reef roids was mentioned.

That seems like a lot of food for a 10g.

OK. I will do less reef roids...maybe 1/8th teaspoon total daily?

Floundering_Around

what nps do you have in the tank currently? I have a fathead dendro, black tubastrea, and yellow finger gorgonian and I don't feed every day. My gorgonian gets a mix of reef roids, benepets, and reef chili. I do a few scoops of each using the reef chili scoop, mix it with tank water using the reef chili bottle, and broadcast feed the tank a few squirts. I'll then put the rest of the unused food in the fridge and pull it out periodically over the next couple of days. I don't do this every week though

(random: I fed my nps and clowns yesterday morning and my rude clown figured out how to pick at my tubastrea until it spit out its food even though my clowns weren't hungry cause I fed them at the same time 🙄)

I fed mine a pinch, mixed in saltwater in a cup then squirted at the gorg using a pipette, not broadcast fed, I didn't even feed all that was in the cup, just a nice squirt... and not daily. Reef roids is super potent and could easily pollute a tank if overdosed. The gorgs would swallow nutramar ova and super tiny chopped mysis too, the polyps on the yellow/red ones are pretty large.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

OK. I will do less reef roids...maybe 1/8th teaspoon total daily?

I don't think daily is needed. 

My gorgs get fed twice a week.

The sun corals need meaty food fed to them and a few times a week is enough.

It will harm your water quality.

NPS need food but they still need good water quality and that's where the balance becomes difficult, especially in small aquariums

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

It wouldn't hurt anything to feed daily, would it?

With most corals... Especially in nanos you need to be realistic with feedings to maintain water quality. Yes... You get slower growth with less food but maintain better water which leads to better health of the coral. 

Nitrate and po4 pads are not magic and will exhaust quickly if you over feed. 

• Like 2

Feeding moderately will give you the benefit of healthy corals and water quality.

Using products gets expensive and counter productive.

Why over feed if you are going to use products that will remove it?