Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best remedy for bubble algae

ReefMagix

Just noticed a little bubble algae popping up in my 2g pico. Thinking about trying an emerald but I already have several inverts including a pompom crab, fire shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp and 3 turbo snails. Anyone have success with emeralds first of all?

• Like 2

I just did manual removal, seemed to work. I guess I was the emerald crab? I didn't eat it though! 😜

Beautiful tank btw! Do you have a thread for it?

Wow beautiful tank!! My first emerald would not touch my bubble algae so I had to add another one that does eat it... but I don’t have that much algae in my tank so now I need to feed them each a chunk of meaty food each night so they don’t get too hungry and try to eat my corals. If you only have a couple bubbles, manual removal is good to try first. 

I probably wouldn't put an emerald crab in a tank this size. You can carefully twist off the bubbles without popping them, and even pull the rock out to do it (If you take the rocks out, give them a good rinse before putting back and you could even treat with peroxide). 

52 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I just did manual removal, seemed to work. I guess I was the emerald crab? I didn't eat it though! 😜

Beautiful tank btw! Do you have a thread for it?

I never did make a build thread had it up for almost 2 years though. In the beginning I thought it would be too difficult to do a 2g pico and it would most likely die but after 2 years its been incredibly simple compared to my other tanks. I use it to nurse back corals that arent doing as well in my other tanks.

29 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wow beautiful tank!! My first emerald would not touch my bubble algae so I had to add another one that does eat it... but I don’t have that much algae in my tank so now I need to feed them each a chunk of meaty food each night so they don’t get too hungry and try to eat my corals. If you only have a couple bubbles, manual removal is good to try first. 

Thank you! The problem is it is only 2g so manual removal is nearly impossible because my hand wont fit in there. I'm thinking of buying a few and placing them in my other tank to find out which ones will eat bubble then transfer one to the jar.

16 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I probably wouldn't put an emerald crab in a tank this size. You can carefully twist off the bubbles without popping them, and even pull the rock out to do it (If you take the rocks out, give them a good rinse before putting back and you could even treat with peroxide). 

wouldnt be possible to take the rocks out without destroying the corals especially that SPS. The zoas have matted across most of the rocks so its pretty much stuck.

Too my surprise the dendro is doing incredibly well in the pico. It was closing up in my other tank over the course of a month and after a week in the pico it looks stunning.