Innovative Marine Aquariums

Total noob in need of advice

WCO2 Neptune

🙂 another day another test. Results still ok. Not gonna change probably until I get my new filter installed..

I also just got ultraviolet sterilizer and will install later today.

This little beast of a tank is coming together 🙂

20181012_123144.jpg

20181012_124219.jpg

20181012_125212.jpg

• Like 1

Tank is coming along well.

There is still ammonia present in the tank which is an issue. Looks like .50 to me.

You should see if the local fish store would do an ammonia test for you to be certain.

There may be a lack of bio filter for the bioload.

I think it would be best looking into adding better rock to the tank if indeed there is still ammonia present.

UV sterilizers aren't often used regularly on Saltwater tanks because they can kill beneficial bacteria as well as the bad.

I would do a lot of research on UV sterilizers on saltwater.

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the API test for ammonia is notorious for incorrectly showing a low level of ammonia when it's actually zero. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
25 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the API test for ammonia is notorious for incorrectly showing a low level of ammonia when it's actually zero. 

I was thinking I don't think anyone mentioned he may benefit from having some prime on hand also...just in case there is ammonia present

• Like 2

I just picked up 5gal of saltwater from aquarium store.. I will test it and see what results I get. If it's good, I'll use it for my next 80% water change.. if its flawed I will blame the damn api kit and buy a new different test.  Already ordered a new kit that was recommended on these post. 

1 minute ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Inquiry.... what's a nano moss ball plant and can it really help me?? Anyone use them?

I believe your talking about chaeto. Yes its good. But requires specific lighting and a containment. Your media rack might be able to hold it

57 minutes ago, JBM said:

Your nitrate appears green. I think your api kit is faulty.  

Keep up with the water changes. Next big purchase should be a rodi machine.

Nitrates are good.. glass vial with yellow results mixing with my blue walls in background making it look green in images.

32 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Just got an ammonia strip from someone and did a test.. damn it if it didn't say good. 0% ammonia in tank.. geesh..

20181012_170859.jpg

And that's what I was talking about. The API test kit shows green instead of yellow even though ammonia is zero. It's nothing you're doing, it's just that API is misleading. 

It doesn't get talked about a lot because reefers rarely test for ammonia once the tank has cycled. But I see the exact same color with my old API kit too. 

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Clean up crew. So snails, hermit crabs, etc...

I did have snails, and crab and shrimp, they like to kill.....crab and shrimp ate the snails, the crab and shrimp started attacking my coral... lastly the crabs killed the shrimp..... so sadly it was a war zone... crabs win, well not really, i took them out fed them to the birds... LOL  will consider CuC once i get my tank in order... maybe in another month or 2...

1 hour ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

I did have snails, and crab and shrimp, they like to kill.....crab and shrimp ate the snails, the crab and shrimp started attacking my coral... lastly the crabs killed the shrimp..... so sadly it was a war zone... crabs win, well not really, i took them out fed them to the birds... LOL  will consider CuC once i get my tank in order... maybe in another month or 2...

Crabs can be jerks, some are worse than others. You'll want a few snails to help keep algae under control. 

• Like 2
skyscraper2290
1 hour ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Ya I would still get some new snails at least to help keep your sand bed stirred and take care of algae. I would probably do a couple ceriths, 4-5 small nassarius, maybe a margarita, and 1-2 asteria snails. That would probably take care of most the algae you have on the rocks. You can do a small hermit crab as well just be sure to put some larger empty shells in the tank so it will be less likely to go after a snail when it needs a new home.

• Thanks 1

Just be sure not to neglect that filter floss and whatever you've put in that media basket. Or you'll be in the same situation as last time. Looking good though