Top Shelf Aquatics

Total noob in need of advice

WCO2 Neptune

Last water test was this morning. I will do another water change today mixing my own salt. Getting distilled water from the market. Will update when done and do another water test as well... 

Ok just did a 85% water change to the tank.. we waiting for things to clear up and settle down before conducting another test. 

I did mix my own salt water today. So let's see how it goes..

In other news, while checking the sand I found a few dead snails, coral stems, and shrimp that I haven't seen in months... maybe the dead and buried was screwing things up for me.. ???

20181010_150742.jpg

20181010_150831.jpg

1 minute ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

a few dead snails, coral stems, and shrimp

Were they still decaying, or just the shells and skeletons?

if you had a bunch of stuff die and left to decay in the tank it would cause ammonia levels to rise which leads to problems but if you have had problems for months I doubt it's been the sole reason.

I think there are a few things going on here  but without detail on the system and your maintenance we won't figure it out.

Details?   Biocube 14 gal.  

Maintenance: started with feeding frozen shrimp, but then went to pellets because that all they had. Used pellets for 2 months.. that's when things went down hill. Pellets are horrible for filters. Had to filter change weekly.  Water change weekly.. 

Now trying to get things straighten out and learn the right way. Water change #3  this week so far. Might do another if things don't get better. 

Right now tested my salt level and it's a little on the high side so taking water out and placing fresh water in.

How long did you let the salt mix before you did the water change? It seems like we went from "getting distilled water" to "did a water change" pretty quickly.

The reason why we need detailed info is because the problem can be anything.

Everyone runs their biocube differently. If you are using stock filtration, it can be the problem. Not maintaining filter media or chambers can be the problem, not using the right water source can be the problem.

Number 1 causes of issues in this hobby: bad water source, lack of maintenance, over stocking, and not understanding.

Pellets are not the issue. Most feed pellets.

Here are some things to help you out.

Weekly water changes is one of the most common practice in the hobby. 10-20% with rodi or distilled water.

During a waterchange, most use a Turkey baster to blast the rocks of detritus. They scrape the glass, vacuum the sand bed.

Filter floss is changed, media bags rinsed of detritus.(I dip my bags in rodi/distilled)

Every other week, back chambers are siphoned of food and detritus buildup.

Carbon is replaced every 2-3 weeks.

Floss is changed again mid week

Daily top up of fresh water to replenish evap either manually or with ato.

Weekly parameters tested for new systems.

Return pumps need cleaning every few months.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

How long did you let the salt mix before you did the water change? It seems like we went from "getting distilled water" to "did a water change" pretty quickly.

^ This is important, especially since every salt mixes differently.

Red sea coral pro has specific mixing instructions per them.

Add salt and stir well

After 2 hrs add heater and pump

Not to be mixed for more than 4 hrs and can only be stored for 5 days.

• Like 1

I'm on my way to pick up my kid from school, will conduct testing upon returning home.

Update: was just told that I have a whole house water filter system. Water is ass good as bottled water.

So will be using my clean tap water instead of buying water..  also I tested by chance my tap water with aquarium kit and it turns out I got nothing in my water lol

Problem is I'm a bad aquarium owner with no knowledge of what I'm doing... thanks for all the help. . I will keep posting test and doing everything suggested of me. Until I get this down..

8 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

I'm on my way to pick up my kid from school, will conduct testing upon returning home.

Update: was just told that I have a whole house water filter system. Water is ass good as bottled water.

So will be using my clean tap water instead of buying water..  also I tested by chance my tap water with aquarium kit and it turns out I got nothing in my water lol

Problem is I'm a bad aquarium owner with no knowledge of what I'm doing... thanks for all the help. . I will keep posting test and doing everything suggested of me. Until I get this down..

Filtered drinking water is different from what your aquarium needs.

Did you test your water for TDS? chlorine, chloramines?

Most filtered water for drinking is RO water. Good to drink but not good enough for Reef aquariums.

This is different from Rodi and distilled which are both pure water.

The best piece of advice is do a lot of research because understanding is key to this hobby.

There is tons of sticky threads on here alone that are very helpful.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the water filter.  "Whole House" filters often are nowhere near a good as what you want to use for your tank.  Do you have the ability to test the TDS of the tap water? A cheap TDS meter from Amazon would help a lot.

EDIT:  @Clown79 beat me to it, but I am leaving my comment anyway. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, paneubert said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the water filter.  "Whole House" filters often are nowhere near a good as what you want to use for your tank.  Do you have the ability to test the TDS of the tap water? A cheap TDS meter from Amazon would help a lot.

EDIT:  @Clown79 beat me to it, but I am leaving my comment anyway. 

We should never not give advice because someone got there first🙂

Everyone's opinion and experiences are important.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, paneubert said:

Especially mine!

😊

What you said was important and very true. 

My tap water is considered healthy to drink. I'd never use it in my reef.

Bottled water is just filtered tap water but it's not pure, it can't be or then its unhealthy for us to drink.

Dasani distilled drinking water is mineralized so it's safe to drink.

Good thoughts about drinking water different from aquarium water. Will use distill water from now on...

Here are my new results.  Thinking things are looking good.. will do another test in the morning see if it is stable.

20181010_161349.jpg

Wait a stinking minute... my ammonia seems light green but not yellow yet grrrr... could this be because I have too many fish ?  How could it be like this if I just did a water change. 😞 guess tomorrow will be water change #4.. 

3 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Wait a stinking minute... my ammonia seems light green but not yellow yet grrrr... could this be because I have too many fish ?  How could it be like this if I just did a water change. 😞 guess tomorrow will be water change #4.. 

I did notice it got lighter.  I wonder if the test kit isn't good.  With the number of water changes you have done, it should have gone down.  Can you spend the money on a test kit that is not made by API?  Or get a local fish store to test your water for you. 

• Like 1

Do a side by side ammonia test on the tank and your new water change water.  If they are not the same color then there is something going on in your tank (as you already realize).  If it shows ammonia in your new water, that is also something to get to the bottom of.

6 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

You do have a lot of fish in a 14g which do produce a lot of waste.

Your bio filter may not be able to handle the bio load.

What rock did you use in the tank? 

It could be from all the items that died in the tank.

Could be from water source used prior to the bottled water your purchased.

Ok, we need to establish some things in order to help you further.

While massive water changes are good for your parameters. They arent so good for your inhabitants. ( a 85% w/c?!?!?!???!!!!!) Thats crazy. Like legit cray cray, that you did that. And still have .5 ammonia.

Plain and simple, your doing something wrong. Your trying to dance before learning to crawl. Your post w/c picture is cringe worthy. There is visible undisolved salt in your water column. Thats very bad. You need to let it mix longer with a powerhead till the water is clear (cant see anything)(and your probably mixing it wrong too, always add salt to water. Not water to salt and dont get the rest of it wet either)

Do not feed, or perform any more water changes until tomorrow after youve picked you child up. Test your water, and see what your levels are.

13 minutes ago, JBM said:

While massive water changes are good for your parameters. They arent so good for your inhabitants. ( a 85% w/c?!?!?!???!!!!!) Thats crazy. Like legit cray cray, that you did that. And still have .5 ammonia.

Plain and simple, your doing something wrong. Your trying to dance before learning to crawl. Your post w/c picture is cringe worthy. There is visible undisolved salt in your water column. Thats very bad. You need to let it mix longer with a powerhead till the water is clear (cant see anything)(and your probably mixing it wrong too, always add salt to water. Not water to salt and dont get the rest of it wet either)

Do not feed, or perform any more water changes until tomorrow after youve picked you child up. Test your water, and see what your levels are.

I disagree... People do 100 percent water changes on picos. I do over 50 percent some days. Ofc salinity and temp need to match. I don't see anything wrong with deep cleaning especially if the water was horrible before. 

I think the solids in that photo is debri and cloud from the sand bed but I could be wrong about that. 

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I disagree... People do 100 percent water changes on picos. I do over 50 percent some days. Ofc salinity and temp need to match. I don't see anything wrong with deep cleaning especially if the water was horrible before. 

I think the solids in that photo is debri and cloud from the sand bed but I could be wrong about that. 

I agree.

If the salt is mixed properly and parameters match, a full cleaning can be beneficial. There is no harm to be done if it's done correctly.

26 minutes ago, JBM said:

80% waterchange is not dangerous if done correctly.

Salt must be mixed properly, matches parameters.

If one follows Red Sea's mixing instructions for coral pro, that means the salt sitting for 2 hrs, then pump and heater being added before it can be used.

I agree there is something going on here.

Possibly a few things.