SaltCritters.com

Total noob in need of advice

WCO2 Neptune

Today I changed my floss in the filter and water test still good... I am noticing my rocks turning brown in color.... is that part of the cycling process?  Not sure what to make of it...

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for partial water change.. 

20181110_170328.jpg

40 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Today I changed my floss in the filter and water test still good... I am noticing my rocks turning brown in color.... is that part of the cycling process?  Not sure what to make of it...

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for partial water change.. 

20181110_170328.jpg

yes, maybe diatoms. Normal "uglies" phase. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

yes, maybe diatoms. Normal "uglies" phase. 

there is always a phase during the cycle when the tank gets really ugly. just leave it and itll fix itself up.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Today's results..

Things looking good... 

Rocks are transitioning quickly..

20181111_160810.jpg

20181111_160849.jpg

20181111_160916.jpg

nice! looking good! im not normally a fan of artificial ornaments, but that wreck looks really good!

• Thanks 1

Today's water test and my live rocks transitioning...  this I a long long waiting game... just testing everyday is basically all I'm doing... just wondering is there anything I can do to speed things up a little?? I don't wanna miss out on black Friday sales 🙂

20181112_131605.jpg

20181112_132327.jpg

20181112_132356.jpg

20181112_132406.jpg

What kinds of things were you hoping to get on black Friday? I would think that your system should be ready for some small livestock (coral) additions by Black Friday. The beautiful thing about corals, is that they have a VERY small effect on bioload, so you can add quite a few all at once. As long as the tank has cycled and parameters are stable, you should be good to go. I would hold off on any demanding corals for now, but softies, zoas, mushrooms, and some LPS should all be fine. 

• Thanks 1

I went to look at some corals that were suggested. They looked very nice.  The shop asked how was my alkerline, calcium, and magnesium levels... ummm help... I have no idea... can someone please tell me something about this and the easiest and best way to solve it if I have an issue??

2 hours ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

I went to look at some corals that were suggested. They looked very nice.  The shop asked how was my alkerline, calcium, and magnesium levels... ummm help... I have no idea... can someone please tell me something about this and the easiest and best way to solve it if I have an issue??

You need to test for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Salifert, red sea, or hanna checker kits are the best to use.

To understand these 3 elements and how they affect corals, you should do research on reef water chemistry.

There is no simple answer to it, it's something that needs thorough research.

It's very important to understand water chemistry in reef keeping for success with corals.

• Thanks 1

Clown is right, the relationship of all these water parameters is very important to understand. That being said, most of the corals mentioned will be more forgiving if things are not absolutely perfect. The more important thing for them will be stability. In a tank that size, as long as it is not over stocked or over fed, your regular water changes and maintenance should be enough to keep things stable. If you decide to try more demanding corals like many SPS and Acros, you WILL need to test regularly and perhaps start dosing to keep the big 3 (alk, Calcium, magnesium) in check.

• Thanks 1

I didn't test when I had softies only but once I got enough LPS I started testing. 

Before you add any corals, what do you have for lighting and flow? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but these are the next two important things after water/stability. 

WOW what a load of information I just read this from start to finish like a book. Glued to the screen watching the Bio cube change then I am not going to lie I was a little sad when it got torn down was hoping to see this beautiful little nano tank lol

• Like 2

Todays test.. still going good..

Rocks changing again and now my ships have some brown stuff... getting tooth brush to clean off ships...

Slowly but surely things are happening... not sure if and when tank will cycle or if I completely missed it..

20181116_095148.jpg

20181115_111124.jpg

20181115_111122.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, Tamberav said:

I didn't test when I had softies only but once I got enough LPS I started testing. 

Before you add any corals, what do you have for lighting and flow? Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but these are the next two important things after water/stability. 

Hi,

I got good led lighting that has a timer for sunrise and sunset... it's a set it and forget it :)..   I also have 1 wave maker in the back mid tank and one long return that makes waves on waterline...

Hi,  testing of water today was still great. No issues and everything seems stable.  I ordered a master test kit so I can do more test for the corals as I'd like to expand in the future with more reef life.

I included some cuc today. But don't think I got enough. Just picked up 5 small hermit crabs and 6 snails.  

I got a few test corals from the shop cheap pre black Friday sale... gonna see how they do as my starters. 

I will upload pics tomorrow.

GREAT thread for seeing how problems can be fixed by simply monitoring a tank and completing consistent water changes 👍 Lots of great members on here willing to help, I am starting to see this trend which is making me more excited about my Nano. Nice job Neptune

Hi,  testing of water today was still great. No issues and everything seems stable.  I ordered a master test kit so I can do more test for the corals as I'd like to expand in the future with more reef life.

I included some cuc today. But don't think I got enough. Just picked up 5 small hermit crabs and 6 snails.  

I got a few test corals from the shop cheap pre black Friday sale... gonna see how they do as my starters. 

I will upload pics tomorrow.

what kind of corals?

20 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

what kind of corals?

Really less expensive ones or I got that pre black Friday deal... 

Ricordea mushrooms and rhodactis and I think toadstools..

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Sounds like some good starter corals. Post some pics! 🙂 

nice. perfect 4 begnners.