Top Shelf Aquatics

Total noob in need of advice

WCO2 Neptune

9 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

Where are the other fish? Your pic only shows that there are clowns in the new tank. Did EVERYTHING get moved over? 

only 3 clowns and the goby are in the tank... goby is always hiding out.... I will try to get all the fish to line up nicely in a bigger tank for a photo op.

I have always only have 4 fish..... 3 clowns and 1 goby.... that has been said consistently in the postings...

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

only 3 clowns and the goby are in the tank... goby is always hiding out.... I will try to get all the fish to line up nicely in a bigger tank for a photo op.

I have always only have 4 fish..... 3 clowns and 1 goby.... that has been said consistently in the postings...

Just be diligent about everything. As long as you have prime and keep up with the water changes if the ammonia level shows.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

The fish would have died in biocube. At least here they have a chance. 

I am cycling the tank. Fish in it had no place to go other than to survive the cycling process. Like I said they wouldn't have made it in the biocube.

Water test today hasn't changed, everything running without issue. Waiting for ammonia to spike and nitraite levels to change a little but still nothing...  

Why would they have died in the biocube? You were doing really well at working to get parameters in check. They would have survived just fine for a few more weeks in there while you got the new tank up and running. Now, I'm having a hard time making sense of what's actually going on here so I have a few questions that I hope will bring some clarity. 

1. Did you move the fish and the rock from the biocube into the new tank?

2. You mentioned cycling rock in another tank and in buckets. What kind of rock did you use that you cycled in the other tank? How long and how did you cycle it? What kind of rock is in the bucket? How long and how are you cycling it?

3. You said the fish would have died in the biocube. Why do you think this?

4. Do you have bottled bacteria, like the brands I've mentioned before?

5. Are you dosing Prime daily?

6. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate currently at?

7. How many lfs are in your area (within an hour or so drive)?

8. Did you try posting on craigslist about the fish?

I realize you're feeling defensive, but a lot of us are feeling pretty let down because you went from listening and doing the work to get your tank under control to doing whatever the heck you want. We've seen this before and it nearly always ends in a crash and burn. We really, really don't want that for you. Promise. 

• Like 1

Only the fish moved.... rocks from biocube turned really green and nasty... the CUC i purchased all died... wasn't working out...

2. You mentioned cycling rock in another tank and in buckets. What kind of rock did you use that you cycled in the other tank? How long and how did you cycle it? What kind of rock is in the bucket? How long and how are you cycling it?

I got live rock from shop... the ones in the tank were taken from the shop's active tank with cycled rocks.... the other rocks are also live rocks but were cycling in a tub in the shop... I put them in a large bucket and they're cycling in that for now... 

based on how things turned really badly..... even water changes would only improve things for a week, the bio load from too many fish was too much for the tank. I just couldn't keep up.

I only have API quick start... and got a bottle of Prime for when things spike..

no,   dosing every other day with API

my levels are all at zero.... which makes me think the filter bio media was working too good... not sure... just a thought..... so i'm waiting for any level change.... tomorrow i will do a water change and add another load of API..

the other shop is about 1 hour drive.... not so far...

8. Did you try posting on craigslist about the fish?  no didn't do a craigslist post for fish... not a craigslist kinda area nor would i trust it.... way too many horror stories.

8 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Only the fish moved.... rocks from biocube turned really green and nasty... the CUC i purchased all died... wasn't working out...

I got live rock from shop... the ones in the tank were taken from the shop's active tank with cycled rocks.... the other rocks are also live rocks but were cycling in a tub in the shop... I put them in a large bucket and they're cycling in that for now... 

based on how things turned really badly..... even water changes would only improve things for a week, the bio load from too many fish was too much for the tank. I just couldn't keep up.

I only have API quick start... and got a bottle of Prime for when things spike..

no,   dosing every other day with API

my levels are all at zero.... which makes me think the filter bio media was working too good... not sure... just a thought..... so i'm waiting for any level change.... tomorrow i will do a water change and add another load of API..

the other shop is about 1 hour drive.... not so far...

8. Did you try posting on craigslist about the fish?  no didn't do a craigslist post for fish... not a craigslist kinda area nor would i trust it.... way too many horror stories.

Ok, thanks for the response. I actually feel a little bit better now.  I can understand not being able to keep up but still wouldn't recommend throwing fish in a new tank with new live rock like that. Here's some things I recommend:

1. Try to get your hands on either Dr. Tim's, Microbacter7, or Biospira. I recommend these because they are known to work for cycling. API Quick Start is not one I've ever heard used. 

2. You'll still need to plan on weekly to bi weekly water changes of 10-20%. It's the best way to keep parameters in line. 

3. Dose Prime daily. Note that the amount for neutralizing ammonia is different than for treating tap water. 

4. Test the bucket you've got the other rocks in for a week or so. If they're already cycled you may be good to go. 

5. Keep a close eye on the clownfish. Chances are strong that two will pair off and they may beat up the other one. I'm still salty the lfs let you get three lol. 

If the rock was already cycled you may be ok. You need to test every day or so for a couple of weeks and be prepared to do some large water changes if ammonia or nitrite spikes. We care about these animals which is why people got upset when it seemed you weren't taking seriously the effect that cycling can have on fish. Plan on no new additions for a month after the cycle is known to be finished. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm coming off as a know it all and a dick because Ive been where you were in the learning process. I thought i knew everything too, but turns out I didn't. Maybe that's why i now have a successful reef. Ive read everything you've posted, and commented along the way which you have chosen to ignore. Your blatant disregard for these animals who's health is solely your responsibility is frightening. You made a bad situation worse by upgrading.

What you don't realize is. Now, instead of changing 15-20 gallons on your biocube to keep things stable. You have to make 40 gallons to soft cycle your new tank [/b]AND[/b] waste money on prime for in between ammonia spikes (unless you make multiple batches of water)

they are called weekly water changes for a reason. They are to be done every week. Not when ammonia spikes, not when you feel like it. EVERY WEEK! That's your responsibility, that's the choice you made when you forked over the money you worked for and bought that tank. Even more so when you over stocked the tank

30 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Recent water test results...  all seems good...

Ph 8.2

Ammonia .25

Ammonia test 2 with test strip 0

NO2. 0

No3. 0

The fish would have been better off crowded for 2-3 weeks in your bio cube then experiencing any ammonia associated with a cycle. Your literally killing them due to ignorance.  Any ammonia is bad. But hey, it's your money, your tank, your pet right?. You know whats best. Good luck with your canister filter

Wow, the hate in you is strong.... and if you did read my post you'll realise that my water change is scheduled for tomorrow. 

I've gotten some great advice on here but your pompous post has nothing to offer. Good day sir.

• Haha 1

If the rock you added to your tank/sump/filter is from an established tank, you may not have any spikes.

Continue monitoring everyday and it's always good to have prime on hand in the event ammonia rises. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WCO2 you may not like the way he put it. But I'm going to be blunt here as well. You have listened to people on here. But you did so selectively, you picked and chose what you'd listen to that fit into your warped approach to this hobby. Those fish in that biocube were in no more danger of dying than they are right now in that 54 gallon. I can tell you right now he's right dude. If this tank is successful it will rival the accomplishment of the building of the hoover dam. Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reefgoat, I understand what he is saying. It's just the way he says it. Not much can be done at this point. Tank is cycling mode and the fish have nowhere to go.   

Any thoughts on going forward? I'm scheduled to do a partial water change tomorrow... 

1 hour ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Reefgoat, I understand what he is saying. It's just the way he says it. Not much can be done at this point. Tank is cycling mode and the fish have nowhere to go.   

Any thoughts on going forward? I'm scheduled to do a partial water change tomorrow... 

I made some suggestions earlier that I think most here would probably support (hopefully I'm not being presumptuous saying that). Test strips are notoriously unreliable though. 

• Like 3

Lula  

Yes you laid out some great advice. I am already following the daily water test. I intend on a partial water change.  I will be driving to another show an hour away to see what they have in stock to help cycle my tank..... I took note of the ones your suggested. I will updated you on what i was able to get....  thanks

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, WCO2 Neptune said:

Lula  

Yes you laid out some great advice. I am already following the daily water test. I intend on a partial water change.  I will be driving to another show an hour away to see what they have in stock to help cycle my tank..... I took note of the ones your suggested. I will updated you on what i was able to get....  thanks

It's not adding things for the cycle. It's nature and it needs time. That's the most important thing. Time over rushing will lead you in a good direction. If you keep messing with it it will all go south. Don't add anything just test and monitor. Never rush things...the saltwater ecosystem is delicate and needs balance. It's been doing it for millions of years so it knows what it's doing. Time and patience is what you need. You panic and everything will fall.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's not adding things for the cycle. It's nature and it needs time. That's the most important thing. Time over rushing will lead you in a good direction. If you keep messing with it it will all go south. Don't add anything just test and monitor. Never rush things...the saltwater ecosystem is delicate and needs balance. It's been doing it for millions of years so it knows what it's doing. Time and patience is what you need. You panic and everything will fall.

I suggested he use Prime to neutralize ammonia and a proven bacteria supplement to make things as easy on the fish as possible. No fancy supplements or anything. But you are correct that time and patience are extremely important in this hobby and I hope OP's eagerness won't be too costly. 

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I suggested he use Prime to neutralize ammonia and a proven bacteria supplement to make things as easy on the fish as possible. No fancy supplements or anything. But you are correct that time and patience are extremely important in this hobby and I hope OP's eagerness won't be too costly. 

Yeah i hope so too... Wonder if he put the rocks in yet... I think he's still waiting I may have to look farther up. I saw you said that and that's hopefully the only thing he puts in the tank.  I want to see him have a great tank but he does seem to rush. Only time will tell 🙂

• Like 1

Question, I have two smaller live rocks that were previously cycled. CN I put them in the tank? Would it be of any benefit? Or should I just leave the tank alone and just keep doing what I've been doing until I'm done cycling the tank?? 

On 11/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Ok, thanks for the response. I actually feel a little bit better now.  I can understand not being able to keep up but still wouldn't recommend throwing fish in a new tank with new live rock like that. Here's some things I recommend:

1. Try to get your hands on either Dr. Tim's, Microbacter7, or Biospira. I recommend these because they are known to work for cycling. API Quick Start is not one I've ever heard used. 

2. You'll still need to plan on weekly to bi weekly water changes of 10-20%. It's the best way to keep parameters in line. 

3. Dose Prime daily. Note that the amount for neutralizing ammonia is different than for treating tap water. 

4. Test the bucket you've got the other rocks in for a week or so. If they're already cycled you may be good to go. 

5. Keep a close eye on the clownfish. Chances are strong that two will pair off and they may beat up the other one. I'm still salty the lfs let you get three lol. 

If the rock was already cycled you may be ok. You need to test every day or so for a couple of weeks and be prepared to do some large water changes if ammonia or nitrite spikes. We care about these animals which is why people got upset when it seemed you weren't taking seriously the effect that cycling can have on fish. Plan on no new additions for a month after the cycle is known to be finished. 

What is the dosage for treating the tank not tap water?

I thought it was 2 drops per gallon?

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What is the dosage for treating the tank not tap water?

I thought it was 2 drops per gallon?

Just looked at my bottle, the regular dose is 2 drops per gallon, it says up to 5x that to detox nitrite, I thought it was for ammonia too but not sure now lol. 

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Just looked at my bottle, the regular dose is 2 drops per gallon, it says up to 5x that to detox nitrite, I thought it was for ammonia too but not sure now lol. 

Hmm. I'm not sure either. Lol

• Haha 1