Coral Vue Hydros

2 gallon cookie jar pico

12scanlon

just took three LPS (blastomussa wellsi, acan echinata, and favia) out of my Biocube and started acclimating them. doing a drip acclimation for around 1 hour.

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just went and got some new corals and an invert for the pico (pom pom crab) for my birthday!!!! Just acclimated them so they are all pissed. will post a picture tomorrow when they’ve chilled out a little bit. 😁

• Like 2
6 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

I plan to do a water change today and was wondering if I have to leave a portion of water in the jar for the Pom Pom crab. 

I'd leave a little bit.  They do ok for very brief instances out of water (like, transfer from acclimation container to tank) but not sure how long is safe and wouldn't risk it.  You can still change 90% or better.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

sounds good. 

I’m about to order a gel filter clip to take better photos. does anyone have any recommendations?

I've never used one, sorry.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Added sand today.... Pom Pom Crab is doing awesome and has already dug out a little cave 5 min after adding sand. I added a monti cap that “was” dead (check out general discussion). Also added a really nice favia. Should be getting my iphone filters in a couple days so will have better pictures soon.

Before sand:

572EDE86-051F-4250-BAEC-509CEAB09CCA.thumb.jpeg.96d8a15814209004672133c82582293f.jpeg

Sand just added:(will give a new FTS in a couple days)5ACF2A1B-C984-45FD-9435-A76D5F039FCF.thumb.jpeg.84eaef65b45e506cea21b0af54bd6175.jpeg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Great progress @12scanlon! The reef jar looks great with a sand bed, what kind of sand did you decide on?

It sounds like the pom pom crab is doing well so far, that's good to hear. I think that's still at the top of my list for an invert to feature in my pico jar too, I'm lucky to get to follow along with your progress a few months ahead of mine. 🙂 

I was meaning to ask, how has that Aqueon 50w heater been working out for the jar? It has its own thermostat built in, right?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great progress @12scanlon! The reef jar looks great with a sand bed, what kind of sand did you decide on?

Super Naturals Dry Sand. It is commonly used for freshwater aquariums but can be used in saltwater. I really liked the texture and grain size so went with this rather than another brand. We will see how it works out.

It sounds like the pom pom crab is doing well so far, that's good to hear. I think that's still at the top of my list for an invert to feature in my pico jar too, I'm lucky to get to follow along with your progress a few months ahead of mine. 🙂 

I’ve been trying to come up with a name for him... any suggestions? He has a great personality and I would definently recommend getting one. 😁

I was meaning to ask, how has that Aqueon 50w heater been working out for the jar? It has its own thermostat built in, right?

So far it’s been great... keeps my jar steady at 78 degrees. I really haven’t noticed if there is a built in thermostat. Had an extra digital one laying around and threw that in the tank when I set it up. I will check when I get home from my trip. 

• Like 1

I just got home from my trip and saw my pom pom crab motionless... At first I thought OMG he’s dead, and on further inspection I can’t tell if it’s a molt or dead. I broke it open and found no meat, but it doesn’t seem the crab broke open it’s outer shell. It also doesn’t smell bad. Does anyone have a matter of fact way to tell if it’s a molt? 

• Wow 1
Christopher Marks
On 1/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, 12scanlon said:

I just got home from my trip and saw my pom pom crab motionless... At first I thought OMG he’s dead, and on further inspection I can’t tell if it’s a molt or dead. I broke it open and found no meat, but it doesn’t seem the crab broke open it’s outer shell. It also doesn’t smell bad. Does anyone have a matter of fact way to tell if it’s a molt? 

Any sign of it since? Molts will usually be hollow and pale looking, it sounds like that's likely the case.

• Like 1

They do open. See if you can lift the carapace of the molt/dead crab on the back away from the legs. They kind of scoot backwards out of their shell.

Also, dead crabs smell like low tide on a hot day.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses... forgot to update this. My pom pom crab is alive and well. There was no noticeable break in the molt that I could see so I was assuming the worst until  saw him again. He seems a little bigger and his pom pom are quickly growing. I have been feeding him good😋.

• Like 1