Coral Vue Hydros

Elegance coral broke, now what?

CRRBear

Hi Folks,

Purchased an Elegance frag last night from one of my LFS. Before placing in the tank I was attempting to remove the plug, and in the process, the fragile skeletal structure of the coral cracked in half vertically. The fleshy part of the coral was not ripped, and the coral itself seems to be doing O.K. for the time being. The lower skeletal structure of this small piece is now only attached due to the fleshy portion of the coral. Added some pictures, but not sure if you will be able to tell from them.

Question - should I just leave it alone? Is there anything I could or should do? The majority of the structure is still in tact. It seems when the LFS glued the coral to the frag there was a smaller "section" they left hanging off.

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Depending on where it was sourced, elegance could have a very poor survival rating to begin with.  

Because of this I have no first hand experience, but you could theoretically use a small amount of glue on the skeleton and just stick the two halves back together if it was a clean break.  Otherwise, I would just leave it be.  Maybe a dip could help.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

should i get an elegance? i want to get one to replace a xeina colony that was eaten by my cbs. the shrimp is in the sump now after also eating two hermits and a small clown.