Coral Vue Hydros

Need Urgent Advice and/or Help As Soon As Possible!!!

1Meshy2

A Little Blue
15 minutes ago, 1Meshy2 said:

Are there any products that are better than special blend, or is it just not necessary? As for the lights, I had figured that something would be off with them. I was never really sure what any of the colors' percentages should be, so I just winged it (but I shouldn't have). If I were to use the spheres you mentioned, where would I put them in my refugium? Would I have to take out the chaeto? 

I place spheres in media bag that is usually used for carbon or GFO (you can get those on Amazon or your LFS) and hang it in the back chamber. You can place it in any chamber as long as there is some flow going thru it.  Reds promote algae growth (similarly with greens if not used with moderation). 

I use Special Blend sporadically. It’s basically a very stinky crap that promotes bacteria growth and helps maintain biological filtration.  I don’t have a regiment, I add like 5ml to 30g tank once a month or so (if I remember to do so lol). 

Also, you really went to town with all that filtration media. GFO such as ChemiPure, filter floss and biological media is really all you need. Phosguard is a tool but be careful not to over use it. 

Raising Mg to 1460-90 (slowely) and feeding live phytoplankton can help with coral health and algae control. Raising Mg should be monitored, algae control is the only reason to keep it that high. However my Mg levels are usually around 1450 anyway. 

A Little Blue
12 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

Take out the chaeto. You shouldn’t have a big bio load big enough to warrant chateo if you do regular water changes.

If it is growing why would you do that? 

If it feeds of nutrients that means that it’s doing the job. 

• Like 1
LogicalReefs
7 minutes ago, 1Meshy2 said:

Man, I feel almost as if everything that I've been told in the past has been wrong, and I've been stuck doing the wrong things! So, basically what you're telling me then is to take out everything in my back chambers? Chaeto, purigen AND chemipure? 

Basically. If you do a big water change and do what I recommend you should be ok.

I use filter floss and that’s it. If in doubt about your water quality use distilled water. 

15 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I place spheres in media bag that is usually used for carbon or GFO (you can get those on Amazon or your LFS) and hang it in the back chamber. You can place it in any chamber as long as there is some flow going thru it.  Reds promote algae growth (similarly with greens if not used with moderation). 

I use Special Blend sporadically. It’s basically a very stinky crap that promotes bacteria growth and helps maintain biological filtration.  I don’t have a regiment, I add like 5ml to 30g tank once a month or so (if I remember to do so lol). 

Also, you really went to town with all that filtration media. GFO such as ChemiPure, filter floss and biological media is really all you need. Phosguard is a tool but be careful not to over use it. 

Raising Mg to 1460-90 (slowely) and feeding live phytoplankton can help with coral health and algae control. Raising Mg should be monitored, algae control is the only reason to keep it that high. However my Mg levels are usually around 1450 anyway. 

I use the special blend thing (or at least try to lol) every two weeks, adding 8mL. I like the idea of having biological filtration in my chambers again, so I'll look into buying those spheres as soon as I can. Do you have to clean the balls though? Like take them out and rinse them, or just leave them in? As for the Mg, should I make it higher by adding the liquids I've been using, or by a different method? 

12 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I was a bit confused by this too. My chaeto has been growing sporadically in the past month since I first bought it. I had in mind that it growing meant that it was doing its job.. 

• Like 1
LogicalReefs
30 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

If its growing it’s cause he’s over feeding or poor maintenance . The corals and live stock he has shouldn’t incur a big bioload. If you are strict with feeding and regular with water changes in a nano tank you should be ok. 

1 minute ago, LogicalReefs said:

If its growing it’s cause he’s over feeding or poor maintenance . The corals and live stock he has shouldn’t incur a big bioload. If you are strict with feeding and regular with water changes in a nano tank you should be ok. 

If it was growing due to poor maintenance or over feeding, wouldn't that mean that my params should be through the roof too? As far as I see, my nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all very low, except for the phosphate of course. 

LogicalReefs
3 minutes ago, 1Meshy2 said:

If it was growing due to poor maintenance or over feeding, wouldn't that mean that my params should be through the roof too? As far as I see, my nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all very low, except for the phosphate of course. 

Nitrates and phosphates low because Chaeto is helping with excess nutrients. 

If you take the chateo out and keep your current  maintenance schedule I’m sure you’d see a rise in those levels. 

Chateo is a nutrient export.

A Little Blue
28 minutes ago, 1Meshy2 said:

I use the special blend thing (or at least try to lol) every two weeks, adding 8mL. I like the idea of having biological filtration in my chambers again, so I'll look into buying those spheres as soon as I can. Do you have to clean the balls though? Like take them out and rinse them, or just leave them in? As for the Mg, should I make it higher by adding the liquids I've been using, or by a different method? 

Just rinse spheres in RO water before placing in your tank. Keeping them clean isn’t really an issue. You could check on them every 6 months or so. If there is a sediment on them, rinse it in tank water so you don’t disturb bacteria population living in it.

If you can’t measure Mg, don’t even try mess with it. If you have Mg test kit,, sure, use any Mg additive you like. Just do it gradually over period of several weeks and fallow instructions. 

As to Chaeto, I would leave it if it’s growing. Think of it as a nature substitute to protein skimmer. Just trim it as needed. Macro algae absorbs/feeds on nutrients and by trimming macro algae you remove nutrient excess from your tank. 

I would consider removing some other media you’re using tho.

Such as those carbon and phosphates removing pads. Use simple floss or water polishing pads and replace them as need it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 1Meshy2 said:

I did ask the store owner once though if their water is RODI, and he had said that it was, but I guess it would be worth to ask for the water to be tested prior to me actually buying it, or I could just test it myself. With my phosguard, no matter how long it was in there, I never got the levels to get any lower. They didn't rise, nor did they lower. I don't use other media other the chaeto, purigen and chemi pure. I do, however, use different types of filter pads. One pad is fused with carbon (black colored) and the other is used to lower phosphates (green colored). I have been thinking that maybe these two pads could be contributing to the problem though, so I've thought about just buying regular filter floss instead. 

Pads can lead to issues because material gets clogged in them.

I personally prefer buying my media in the larger containers and bagging them myself. I save money, control qty used and change more frequently.

I like to use Kent carbon, I add a bit of phosguard( phosguard if needed)and carbon is changed every 2 weeks.

Purigen is changed as soon as it goes brown and I rinse the media bag weekly to remove detritus.

I prefer using filter floss and replace it 2 times a week. Its cheap, collects particles, and doesn't create a nutrient issue when changed frequently.

I would test the water yourself for nitrates, phos, TDS. 

LogicalReefs

I use filter floss (from Walmart) and replace every 2 days and use just the biological filtration from my rocks. I do water changes every week and keep a strict feeding regimen for the most part. 

I vacumm my sand when I water change and I use a turkey baster to dust off my rocks when I water change to get all the bad stuff out during water changes. I also have good water circulation in my display tank to keep detritus off my sand bed and live rock and get sorted out in my filter floss. 

You can’t replace a good feeding regimen and water change schedule with purigen and chemipure. I like to keep my tank as close to natural conditions as possible. No tank is the same. What ever work best for you. I personally don’t like to add to many excessive things to a tank (carbon, chemipure,purigen) if it’s manageable by what you contribute to the feeding and matinence routine.

Honestly you are adding all these products, bacteria, all this filter media, dosing ect. How will you know which one is causing the issues or maybe all combined are?

KISS  = Keep it simple stupid.

You know what my tanks get? Water changes, filter floss changed regularly, and a small amount of carbon in case of air-pollutants.  Works great.

• Like 2

Using too many products that do the same thing is over filtration which does lead to problems.

Chemipure is carbon with a gfo 

Purigen

Carbon pad

Phosphate pad

20 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Honestly you are adding all these products, bacteria, all this filter media, dosing ect. How will you know which one is causing the issues or maybe all combined are?

KISS  = Keep it simple stupid.

You know what my tanks get? Water changes, filter floss changed regularly, and a small amount of carbon in case of air-pollutants.  Works great.

Haha, you're completely right man. I think I've been so overtaken by the thought that I need perfect water params that I've been adding different things all willy nilly that claim to get me to my goal. 😛

20 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Pads can lead to issues because material gets clogged in them.

I personally prefer buying my media in the larger containers and bagging them myself. I save money, control qty used and change more frequently.

I like to use Kent carbon, I add a bit of phosguard( phosguard if needed)and carbon is changed every 2 weeks.

Purigen is changed as soon as it goes brown and I rinse the media bag weekly to remove detritus.

I prefer using filter floss and replace it 2 times a week. Its cheap, collects particles, and doesn't create a nutrient issue when changed frequently.

I would test the water yourself for nitrates, phos, TDS. 

I'll test the water the next time I buy it for sure. I also see that you don't use chemipure in your tank. What's your opinion on using it?

20 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Just rinse spheres in RO water before placing in your tank. Keeping them clean isn’t really an issue. You could check on them every 6 months or so. If there is a sediment on them, rinse it in tank water so you don’t disturb bacteria population living in it.

If you can’t measure Mg, don’t even try mess with it. If you have Mg test kit,, sure, use any Mg additive you like. Just do it gradually over period of several weeks and fallow instructions. 

As to Chaeto, I would leave it if it’s growing. Think of it as a nature substitute to protein skimmer. Just trim it as needed. Macro algae absorbs/feeds on nutrients and by trimming macro algae you remove nutrient excess from your tank. 

I would consider removing some other media you’re using tho.

Such as those carbon and phosphates removing pads. Use simple floss or water polishing pads and replace them as need it. 

Alright, I'll be removing those pads for sure then. I am curious though, if I do add the spheres to the tank, should I remove the purigen and chemipure as well, or just leave them in? 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:39 PM, LogicalReefs said:

What I’d do if I was you is:

1. Stop feeding the microvert.

2. Check your water source and make sure it’s safe. If in doubt distilled water would do in a pinch. 

3. Not needed but I’d switch salts to Red Sea Salt or Fritz RPM. They provide excellent levels of calcium,mag, alk, etc. 

4. Don’t over feed your tank. If you have fish maybe feed every two days (only what they can eat in a minute or two). 

5. Take out the purigen and chemipure. If you are following a good feeding routine and water change once a week you should be great and don’t need those items.

Those would be the things I’d recommend to help start you off. 

If I stop the microvert feedings, should I feed the corals a higher quality food (reef roids, coral frenzy, etc), or not feed them at all? Do the types of corals I have need feedings anyways? 

On 10/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, banasophia said:

If you want to bring your phosphates down you could check into Phosphate RX, though that phosphate level doesn’t seem high enough to me to be causing the issues. There’s a video about it in the link below. I just started using it a couple weeks ago so I don’t have much experience with it so far, but it might be of interest to research further. You do have to run a skimmer to use it though.

http://www.melevsreef.com/product/phosphate-rx

I did a little research on the phosphate rx, and it seems that it works, but with some risks. Has it lowered your phosphates at all and/or harmed your livestock in any way? 

1 hour ago, 1Meshy2 said:

I did a little research on the phosphate rx, and it seems that it works, but with some risks. Has it lowered your phosphates at all and/or harmed your livestock in any way? 

I’ve only added it two or three times and I have been impressed with the results so far, with no harm to the inhabitants in either of my tanks. Marc Levenson of Melevs Reef is well respected and with incredible tanks, says he has been using it for 10 years with no problems so I felt confident trying it out. It instantly precipitates out the phosphates, making your water cloudy, then the precipitate gets filtered out by your skimmer or a filter sock. 

3 hours ago, 1Meshy2 said:

I'll test the water the next time I buy it for sure. I also see that you don't use chemipure in your tank. What's your opinion on using it?

I didn't find any benefit to using it for the cost.

I prefer bagging my own media, using less and changing it more often.

I buy the media in the larger containers.

I use purigen, kent carbon, and floss.

If needed phosguard but in very small quantities.

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

I’ve only added it two or three times and I have been impressed with the results so far, with no harm to the inhabitants in either of my tanks. Marc Levenson of Melevs Reef is well respected and with incredible tanks, says he has been using it for 10 years with no problems so I felt confident trying it out. It instantly precipitates out the phosphates, making your water cloudy, then the precipitate gets filtered out by your skimmer or a filter sock. 

Huh, interesting. I might give it a shot at some point then if I'm not able to lower the phosphate. I'm usually not too keen on adding additives like this to my tanks, but this doesn't seem too bad to try out. 😛

• Like 1
LogicalReefs
11 hours ago, 1Meshy2 said:

If I stop the microvert feedings, should I feed the corals a higher quality food (reef roids, coral frenzy, etc), or not feed them at all? Do the types of corals I have need feedings anyways? 

You don’t need to feed your corals. If you feel like you have to. Feed the day before a water change. It’s not necessary to feed the corals you have.

Make sure to get a good quality nitrate test. 

1 hour ago, Ladytank said:

Have you been running the same lights for 2yrs? I also have a bio cube 29. I change my lights every yr. 

Good point. If it's the older version bulb replacement would be necessary at least every year.