ReefCleaners.org

Help properly setting up Cobalt MJ1200 in BC 32

FrancineJ

I took out the stock pump on my coralife biocube 32 and I am replacing it with a cobalt mj1200 (The good Italian one not the maxi jet)

im having some issues getting it to fit properly and how to make sure the tube doesn’t come off... (it seems loose but it’s 1/2” ID- standard tube for the BC) 

also when i attach the little protector part for the impeller it’s just barely touches the sponge... not sure if that’s an issue or not....

anyone who has this in the Coralife BC 32 could you please show me a picture of how yours is set up or if you needed to zip tie the tube or put something on the tube to hold it in place once there is water pressure (I’m afraid of it blowing off)

here are some pictures.... some have the protector for the impeller on it (which I’d prefer to keep) and some don’t (first 2 do not have the protector, second 2 do have it) 

I will be running Chaeto with an InTank Fuge basket so I’ve been advised by them to keep the sponge in and just buy a spare and replace it once every 2 weeks (will probably just swap once a week with water changes and then rinse it out with ro/di water and let it dry out and then just keep swapping them back and forth... every week or 2 to protect my pump) 

any suggestions of better placement or making the hose stay on would be great! 

4F5DD7B8-9396-46A7-837F-80EB9A811F2F.jpeg

E4B419AB-258D-4F9A-B4E9-D6048CC6D2BC.jpeg

75D0B912-0E93-4EDF-A42E-E675C03D7265.jpeg

25190884-F371-41C8-BB3E-D0FD973247D3.jpeg

I'd leave the intake screen on.

I bet you won't have an issue with the tube coming off the pump, even if it seems loose.  I use those pumps all the time with 1/2" tubing; and unless the pump is hanging from the tubing, it typically stays on.  However, plastic hose clamps are available, or as you indicated, you could just firmly attach a zip tie to secure it better.

Nope I got everything off not the stock pump (was a lot harder to get off stock one) this one seems to easy that’s my concern lol

do you have one hooked up to a tank?

preferably an AIO tank? 

30 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

was a lot harder to get off stock one

Sure.  All I'm saying is that I don't expect that it will come off (even though it's not as tight).  And, if you are still concerned, snug it up with a zip tie or plastic hose clamp.

32 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

do you have one hooked up to a tank?

No, but I commonly use these pumps (with 1/2" tubing) to move water from Brute containers.  I get your concern, but have you ever had it come off?

I believe the MJ pumps are a common upgrade.  I don't expect you'll have any problems.

I have it connected but have not run any water through it yet or nothing... been a busy weekend here (it’s thanksgiving here in Canada) I’m just so terrified that I don’t have it hooked up right lol

know anything about the InTank fish saver guards? For the AIO tanks? With the Coralife one it seems impossible to put the overflow tray thing back if I use it... do you know if that overflow tray is necessary? I don’t really see what purpose it would serve other than that’s where it appears those pre fabricated filters go (which I’m not using)

You have it hooked up correctly.

There is no other way to hook it up.

Just use a zip tie, easy fix. This will not impede its function.

With the grill on, you don't need the sponge. The purpose of the grill is to collect detritus and debris from getting into the pump

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The purpose of the grill is to collect detritus and debris from getting into the pump

I'd probably say the purpose is so the pump intake doesn't get blocked (or snails or other critters get into the pump, or otherwise block flow).

No snails or critters will be able to get to my back chambers... I have the InTank fish saver guard (it completely blocks the gap) however I may put some back there to keep my Fuge tidy.... so 100% I can take out the sponge and no little strings of Chaeto will get it clogged? Because on the intake Fuge there are no sides whatsoever 

2 hours ago, seabass said:

Sure.  All I'm saying is that I don't expect that it will come off (even though it's not as tight).  And, if you are still concerned, snug it up with a zip tie or plastic hose clamp.

No, but I commonly use these pumps (with 1/2" tubing) to move water from Brute containers.  I get your concern, but have you ever had it come off?

I believe the MJ pumps are a common upgrade.  I don't expect you'll have any problems.

I had another question... I have brute containers for my water storage and one for mixing... it says not to submerge the MJ1200 passed 3ft yet on their own video it shows them dropping it into a huge brute for mixing salt lol.. so I need not worry about that? And the one I am going to be using for mixing I just basically drop it in the bottom and just let it go or should I attach any other parts (was planning on also adding the impeller protector cap part) but should I add any of those other parts? Like suction cup it or anything? Don’t think I’ll use it to pump my water to the tank because my water changes will be so small it’s not worth it... 

17 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

so 100% I can take out the sponge and no little strings of Chaeto will get it clogged?

No, bits of chaeto could possible get through the intake screen.  However, one nice thing about chaeto is that it's pretty easy to remove from a display.

14 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

I had another question... I have brute containers for my water storage and one for mixing... it says not to submerge the MJ1200 passed 3ft yet on their own video it shows them dropping it into a huge brute for mixing salt lol.. so I need not worry about that?

I think the only reason they say that is because it can only pump water up a few feet.  However, it's not like a watch that's rated underwater to so many meters.

17 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

I just basically drop it in the bottom and just let it go or should I attach any other parts

No need for the other parts.  I use the intake screen (protector) just so that the pump doesn't suck itself to the side of the container (which does happen sometimes when you don't have it on).

Yes I plan to do a good rinse with water and then a quick water/vinegar dip in between mixings just simply to get rid of any salt residue just because I plan to double use it

1- for salt mixing 

2- for blowing the detritus and crap out of my rock work before the water change 

does that sound doable?

My next problem... I got everything installed tonight except for the part called the “overflow tray”.... the problem is that I got the InTank fish saver guard (because I have heard horror stories of fish like gobies -which I will have and even clownfish) getting through that gap... however now that I have it installed the “overflow tray” does not fit back in.... is this part really necessary? I’ve tried to look up videos of just the biocube itself and I rarely can even see it in videos.... I don’t know if I’m putting it in the wrong place (it seems there is only one place for it to go.... kind of in the center on top of the back chamber) but with all the InTank stuff it does not seem to be possible to put back on....

6 hours ago, FrancineJ said:

does that sound doable?

Yep.  But I wouldn't waste money on using vinegar every time.  I usually dunk it in some RO/DI (top off water) after rinsing in tap water, just so hard water deposits don't dry on it.

6 hours ago, FrancineJ said:

My next problem... I got everything installed tonight except for the part called the “overflow tray”.... the problem is that I got the InTank fish saver guard (because I have heard horror stories of fish like gobies -which I will have and even clownfish) getting through that gap... however now that I have it installed the “overflow tray” does not fit back in.

@StevieT can you please help.

• Thanks 2

We've been answering via email.  You do not use any stock filtration parts with our products.  We include a Water Director for the Media Basket.  It works with the Fish Saver

• Thanks 2

Lol yes he has helped me very much! 

Like I said to @StevieT if it was my tank I wouldn’t care so much but because it’s for my kid I don’t want to see the disappointment on his face if I screw something up as he has been waiting a while for this... because I had to do my research and then get all the parts and pieces together.... if it was a FW tank I’d be golden but there are many things that are different and I don’t want to give him the wrong instructions lol

and well I’m a blonde and get confused easily... that’s my excuse anyway lmao 😂 (no offense to any other blondes meant lol) 

Thanks for all your help guys... I really appreciate it! I know I’m probably driving yous nuts lol 

You sound so nervous about every tiny detail LOL, it’s really isn’t that complicated. Clean water, light, and food.

A tip or two: 

99% of problems that new reefers encounter are due to overfeeding. Don’t do it. A few pellets a day is all a fish needs. 

Get an auto top off, for stability and so your aren't tied to topping off your tank every day. You don’t want to let the return run dry and burn out. 

• Like 1

No need for ato... I too off my other 200 tanks everyday and apparently the new 32 does not have barely any evaporation... but regardless... every one of my tanks and fish are inspected every morning at 7:15 when their lights come on...  and their water levels are checked... ect.... so adding one more tank will not matter (especially since it’s one of the smallest I have lol) Just a waste of money for something that takes about 30 seconds to do... maybe if it was like a 100g tank or something but for the amount of evaporation from a 32g I can’t justify it... 

im not new to fish keeping so I am well aware of not over feeding but thank you... all of my fish have a varied diet and have 1 starvation day a week.... 

i even feed my frogs the way they would eat in the wild... (the don’t always have a good source so one feeding then will get filled up... then no food for a day or 2 and then a small feeding and then no food for a day and then another fill up and no food for a couple days) I like to try to mimic their natural habitats as much as possible... so I definitely will not be overfeeding 

And I kind of find your comment insulting to be honest.... I would rather ask the questions first and find out the proper answers then not do any research and just decide to do what I feel like... no offense but that’s what these forums are for.... if you don’t want to answer peoples questions then don’t comment at all... it’s literally the entire point of this part of the forum... so beginners can learn... and when you read controversial stuff I - 1- Like to know the science behind it... and 2- I like to get everyone’s opinion....

i belong tk many FW forums and some of the advice I see people putting out there is unreal and some are very very bad answers.... after doing FW and Brackish for 30+ years I know a thing or 2 and I always correct people when they give bad advice or explain why I think it’s bad advice... but the main point is that I give advice... to people who are trying to learn... 99% of the questions I have are about mods... if it was just here is the tank set it up and go I would have had very little questions... I never asked anyone about what equipment to buy... I chose all the InTank stuff on my own, I chose what media I am going to run on my own, I chose what heater, what powerhead.... and on and on... even let my son research and choose most of his fish list... we are just torn between a couple fish... but have researched compatibility and food... heck I even selected a cub that all will be able to survive on different things from food to different types of algae to make sure no one starves.... my questions are all related to how to properly install modifications because a lot of the videos about stuff don’t quite explain it all... or they don’t match up with the tank I have... but I do find it rude, yes I am nervous that I had the mods set up right... I have a kid who has been dreaming about this tank forever and as a good mom I don’t want to disappoint my son because of something I did wrong or that I didn’t ask the right questions..... so if you call that being “so nervous about every tiny thing” then so be it but I’d rather ask first then screw it up... and again this is a forum and to which I am posting under the beginners forum... and again if you don’t want to answer the questions then why bother commenting... I did not ask about feeding because I know how too... I did not ask about ATO’s because I don’t need one right now.... I asked about taking out the stock pump and replacing it and adding a part that does not come with the tank... it’s a mod... which causes original parts of the tank to not work or fit so I Just wanted to be sure I was doing it right BEFORE screwing if up.....

And to those of you who took the time to help me out I really appreciate it, and so will my son when his tank isn’t broken or not working right 🙂 So thank you all again 

@Clown79 @StevieT @seabass - all your help has been fantastic so Thank You 😊 

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Harry was just trying to help.  It's hard to determine another member's level of experience from a handful of posts.  I'm sure their was no intent to be rude.  I certainly didn't get that from his post.

Most people on this site are volunteering their time and knowledge for free.  Sometimes assumptions, and even advice aren't spot on; but generally intentions are pretty good.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

Harry was just trying to help.  It's hard to determine another member's level of experience from a handful of posts.  I'm sure their was no intent to be rude.  I certainly didn't get that from his post.

Most people on this site are volunteering their time and knowledge for free.  Sometimes assumptions, and even advice aren't spot on; but generally intentions are pretty good.

Yes, from the apparent struggle and amount of questions the OP had about swapping an AIO pump to another, I did assume a very minimal amount of experience. Contributing to that again was that the OP thought that a pumps max head height was how deep it can be submerged. 

I thought my advice was lighthearted and helpful, general tips for the OP's tanks reef to succeed. It is clear that they are overthinking every tiny thing, many of which are irrelevant. Or perhaps the OP has had many reefs in the past that they had not mentioned? Clearly not. 

Wasn't worth responding to, if the expert was "very insulted" by my friendly post, their reaction would be terrifying to a witty retort. 

• Like 1

My point was there was no need for his comments at the beginning of his post IMO... there is no mention of me asking about feeding and ATO’s and I took it as very rude...

To me it was stated basically as “are you an idiot” 

Telling me I was worried about every little thing... when in this post had nothing to do with feeding, or an ATO and that’s all he commented on....

This post asked about how to properly take out the factory pump and replace it with an MJ1200.... he answered not a single question that I asked... he only offered advice that was not asked for 

And again... the beginning of his comment was rude... “that I am nervous about every little thing” this is the first time he has commented on any post of mine... IMO... it’s not nearly just as simple as clean water, light and food.... if you want to have a successful reef tank there is much more to it than that... and again all of my questions have mostly been about mods... and removal/replacing non stock parts... I never once asked about feeding the fish... or anything like that...I asked a specific question... so if he wanted to help and not insult me he would have 1- not commented at all if he didn’t know how to replace the stock pump with the MJ1200 or if the over flow tray was supposed to still go on even though I had the fish guard... or 2- commented on how to do such things....

Of course I am worried about this stuff... I’m $1000’s of dollars into this tank for my kid and I am the kind of person who likes to do things right the first time... Again, this has been my sons dream tank for a long time now.... and he finally has it and I am going to ask as many questions as I can to make sure it’s done properly, the first time, I understand things will surely go wrong somewhere down the line but that’s why I do as much research as possible and rely on the people who have been helpful to me over and over again.... it’s the way he worded it.... I do not feel like I’m being over paranoid... I feel like I am being extra sure... big difference... he could have easily worded that same comment differently and I would have simply replied that, from my research most people with the new 32g Coralife do not experience enough evaporation to make an ATO worth it and a lot even disconnect them... because they are just not needed with this tank (unless maybe you take the top off..) and I would have said yes I am aware of feeding and that I have a lot of experience with fish and just needed help with some of the mod problems... that’s all... this is a beginners discussion after all... I’ve done the research but there isn’t much out there about my questions... just that it’s a good pump to replace it with and no real instructions on how to do so...

13 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yes, from the apparent struggle and amount of questions the OP had about swapping an AIO pump to another, I did assume a very minimal amount of experience. Contributing to that again was that the OP thought that a pumps max head height was how deep it can be submerged. 

I thought my advice was lighthearted and helpful, general tips for the OP's tanks reef to succeed. It is clear that they are overthinking every tiny thing, many of which are irrelevant. Or perhaps the OP has had many reefs in the past that they had not mentioned? Clearly not. 

Wasn't worth responding to, if the expert was "very insulted" by my friendly post, their reaction would be terrifying to a witty retort. 

Actually I am quite witty but the way your comment came off was that basically “your an idiot”

and just FYI I read instructions.... these are the instructions from the MJ1200 attached... please read number 6 and ask why I would wonder if it was fine to throw it into a brute can that it much higher than 3ft?

And again I deal with fresh water tanks... we don’t have to worry about replacing pumps like this... I have built many custom filters and such but have never had to replace a stock part in an AIO tank so yes I had questions... anyway that’s fine if you think I’m over reacting... I just find that your comment was rude... as if you were making fun of me... when again it’s right there... in the picture... in the safety instructions... 

71660A4B-0B39-4DCA-AA9F-064AF3A9ACA8.jpeg

@FrancineJ, I don't meant to pile on here, but you are really going to have a rough time on this site if you process people's comments in the way you are currently.  You are not the first, nor will you be the last person who I have seen whip out the "But I didn't ask about that" and/or "but they gave me a bunch of extra info and didn't specifically answer my question with laser focus and precision" defense as an excuse for getting all huffy at people.  Seriously.  Just come from a place where you assume every comment is trying to be constructive.....unless it is clearly a troll trying to bother you. 

And again it had nothing to do with the information he provided me... it’s sound information.... however it’s the first part of the comment that I took offense to...

had they just said “since your a beginner a couple things to watch is for over feeding and you might want to consider an ATO so it lessens your work” that would have been fine but the first part was unnecessary.... 

and i I was actually following the advice that a fellow member gave me and told me to specifically start a topic on this so I could get a straight answer....