SaltCritters.com

Joe's IM 20: Got a couple clowns, call it a circus 🎪

Joevember

Just now, Fish_Wiz said:

Haha keep going man! As you may have noticed, it's way easier to fill a 20 than a 65. My 20 is getting full too!

Too true 😂

I'll have to frag up and sell some of my stuff to make room. And also to make back all some of the money I put in, which is too much...

Not much new. The new seriatopora frag came off so I had to reglue it. This is why I like corals that hang out on the sand.

I just got a 6 stage BRS rodi unit for free (no media though) from someone who donated their old setup to my club at my school. Since my school only has freshwater, I got to keep the filter. Also managed to get a pound of GFO and rox carbon. 

Got my autofeeder set up for two days since I will be away for thanksgiving.

I'll be getting some new stuff soon because my family likes to give me stuff on my birthday, and my birthday is on thanksgiving, where all my family will be. Works out perfect. 

The current list of things I'll order is: a quiet drive upgrade for my mp10, Red Sea foundation test kit, new rodi filtration, more salt, doser, and alk and calc additives. 

FTS

20181121_191312.jpg

• Like 3

Tank has changed a little. I have had a little diatom problem since I set the tank up and I had to clean the glass once or twice a day and clean the sand regularly.

Now, the diatoms have stopped (I didn't change anything), and have been replaced by pods. There are now hundreds of little white invertebrates covering my glass. 

So with the new established pod population, do you think I would be able to put a dragonet in the tank? I've heard they can control pod populations, and I feel like the tank needs another inhabitant. 

11 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Tank has changed a little. I have had a little diatom problem since I set the tank up and I had to clean the glass once or twice a day and clean the sand regularly.

Now, the diatoms have stopped (I didn't change anything), and have been replaced by pods. There are now hundreds of little white invertebrates covering my glass. 

So with the new established pod population, do you think I would be able to put a dragonet in the tank? I've heard they can control pod populations, and I feel like the tank needs another inhabitant. 

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you find a super tiny one (very rare). An adult mandarin or scooter blenny can wipe a pod population in a small tank in no time.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:47 PM, Joevember said:

Tank is wet!!

I took sand out of the big tank and turned it into a sandstorm for about an hour... This tank has sand now.

15407631050618401119249660188222.jpg

I know these updates aren't very exciting, so this will be the last on until next weekend when I move everything. Hopefully there isn't a mini cycle.

10/10 play there my friend 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Fish_Wiz said:

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you find a super tiny one (very rare). An adult mandarin or scooter blenny can wipe a pod population in a small tank in no time.

I was thinking about a ruby red dragonet. My lfs has on rn (very small dude) and they feed it frozen brine. I just want something to help control pods, not an obligate predator of pods. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:20 PM, Joevember said:

I was thinking about a ruby red dragonet. My lfs has on rn (very small dude) and they feed it frozen brine. I just want something to help control pods, not an obligate predator of pods. 

If it's trained to eat frozen, great, but I'd still be hesitant with frozen brine as that has little to no nutritional value. If it was train on nutramar ova or mysis, I would take it in a heartbeat. Also remember, dragonets and scooter blenny's are predators of pods, once you get them, there's no "control" of pods, they have to eat and will keep eating until we or our tanks cannot supply pods anymore.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

If it's trained to eat frozen, great, but I'd still be hesitant with frozen brine as that has little to no nutritional value. If it was train on nutramar ova or mysis, I would take it in a heartbeat. Also remember, dragonets and scooter blenny's are predators of pods, once you get them, there's no "control" of pods, they have to eat and will keep eating until we or our tanks cannot supply pods anymore.

Alright, I'll stay with 2 clowns for now. Waiting won't kill anything 😋.

I'll talk to my LFS again about feeding, they told me it would be good for my tank. It's only an inch long and just looks so cute!!! (I'm having a hard time holding myself back from impulse buying it)dragonet-moyers-male_880278973.jpg.86aadbc15057f770f2d86a794e78f3cd.jpg

I could also farm my own live brine shrimp for it. Did that before when I was in FW, but never raised them to adulthood. 

I'll put something up if I get serious about getting it.

Edit: Think I might get 3 sexy shrimp instead, same price and just as cute. Or a wrasse, they eat pods too, but aren't an obligate predator.

Just got the shipment in from BRS! I can finally test for Mg (which is 1560, never knew how much I was putting in). 

Also just set up and flushed the filters on new 6 stage RODI.

20181128_201527.thumb.jpg.c774c4b1f830889b19f1d752c1a85d5e.jpg

Water is coming into the DI at 1.20181128_201627.thumb.jpg.84e0b89573d9162e8099ce8fa9e63e66.jpg

The two part is also ready, I'm excited about finally getting stable parameters for the tank 😂.

FTS looks the same... ✌️

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Joevember said:

Alright, I'll stay with 2 clowns for now. Waiting won't kill anything 😋.

I'll talk to my LFS again about feeding, they told me it would be good for my tank. It's only an inch long and just looks so cute!!! (I'm having a hard time holding myself back from impulse buying it)

I could also farm my own live brine shrimp for it. Did that before when I was in FW, but never raised them to adulthood. 

I'll put something up if I get serious about getting it.

Edit: Think I might get 3 sexy shrimp instead, same price and just as cute. Or a wrasse, they eat pods too, but aren't an obligate predator.

Sexybois > Dragonetts/Scooters. I had a 3 gallon pico sexy shrimp tank before my current tank, they are AWESOME. Had to give them up when I got seahorses but I did really enjoy them. Xzotic gets them in once in awhile for a good price.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Sexybois > Dragonetts/Scooters. I had a 3 gallon pico sexy shrimp tank before my current tank, they are AWESOME. Had to give them up when I got seahorses but I did really enjoy them. Xzotic gets them in once in awhile for a good price.

Just looked at Xzotics FB page, and they had a black friday sale on sexies, 4 FOR 11.99!!!!!

Why couldn't I have made up my mind a week ago... 😞

10 hours ago, Joevember said:

Just looked at Xzotics FB page, and they had a black friday sale on sexies, 4 FOR 11.99!!!!!

Why couldn't I have made up my mind a week ago... 😞

LOL it didn't matter, I was there on black friday later in the day, someone cleaned them out right when the doors opened according to the guy there.

• Sad 1

Took the new torch I dubbed "Auroral Afterglow" (seller doesn't know the name), and mounted it on the rockwork with the other torches. It lost a couple tentacles when I took it off, so I really hope it survives. I also mounted the 24k lepto to the back of the rock, hopefully out of the torches' reach.

20181201_172520.thumb.jpg.ee3109235275454f5e7acc1798c8d875.jpg

20181201_172843.thumb.jpg.55f92dd1a57cefe925fec15a14fba262.jpg

New coral today too. Picked up an echinata for only $10, and thought about getting a cynarina for only $15.

20181201_172536.thumb.jpg.4e5da5c7aeb77713d7fa645a6c55319a.jpg

Edit: new torch is doing fine after a day, just a little grumpy.

Just set up a doser (yeah, it's a Jebao) and have it dosing alk currently. Still trying to lower my calcium down.

15438831795782886592417582729647.thumb.jpg.5f18ebae9caf34f4bed8bb7bc6a9e832.jpg

In other news, one of my lfs' Xzotic (thanks for the recommendation @Fish_Wiz) has ordered me 4 sexy shrimp from their supplier. I get to pick them up on wednesday, and I just learned that I won't have any classes on wednesdat because someone made a threat to my school. Amazing how things work out.

Also trying to make a new stand by the new year. I need some more space to work with. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joevember said:

Just set up a doser (yeah, it's a Jebao) and have it dosing alk currently. Still trying to lower my calcium down.

In other news, one of my lfs' Xzotic (thanks for the recommendation @Fish_Wiz) has ordered me 4 sexy shrimp from their supplier. I get to pick them up on wednesday, and I just learned that I won't have any classes on wednesdat because someone made a threat to my school. Amazing how things work out.

Also trying to make a new stand by the new year. I need some more space to work with. 

Great to hear about the sexies, Xzotic is the plug for them.

But for the Jebao, calibrate often! They can become pretty inaccurate, I used to have the 4 pump version and had to calibrate it every month or two. Probably since yours is brand new, you won't see any issues until a few months down the road. While it's a hassle, making routine of calibrating will save you in the long run. Get yourself a good graduated cylinder. 

• Thanks 1

Well, had quite a day. I decided to bike up to Xzotic (about 10 miles NW of me) and saw some cool wildlife. I saw some deer, a juvinile bald eagle, and a bunch of blue jays (took the scenic route there). I got to Xzotic and there was a miscommunication so there was only 1 sexy in stock. They felt bad so they gave it to me on the house, and they said they would order more and give me three on the house too! Then they gave me $5 off a ricordia and a deal on a black widow nem baby. Also picked up an acro frag, since I finally have stable water. Such nice customer service! 👌😁 

Here are the nem and sexy acclimating, and holy s**t the sexy is so small!:15440433837464261206309677980704.thumb.jpg.5c771621c22c35d06fe33363f1efbc68.jpg

And the coral being dipped:

15440434217466230197823371233353.thumb.jpg.ad4615b7619e5c81034d81fa9609b8ba.jpg

• Like 2

I 'mounted' the nem to my rockwork. Want him to move off the piece of rubble that he's on.

15440567993002143656153788764349.thumb.jpg.0b0f22f6f97ca1c7d6f9934cab8283fb.jpg

I also mounted all the random mushrooms I had onto rubble. The acro I just threw ontop of the rock, I'll mount it when I get some better glue, and if it doesn't end up dying. 

I wish I could get another picture of the new shrimp, but it has disappeared somewhere. 

Edit: Found him! He was on the new nem this morning. The nem is slowly moving onto the rockwork where I want it to (probably not going to stay there though). I wanted the sexy to pair with the bigger flame bta because I don't think the little one can support the shrimp. I'll get pics when I get home when the lights are on.

Another Edit: Pic!20181206_165217.thumb.jpg.db3e15ba16732db3238035b777e43dcc.jpg

Temp has been falling recently. It usually stays at a smooth 78, but now it's crusing at 73. So I got a big upgrade to my heater. Was a neotherm 75w, now a 200w. Overkill, I know, but I got if for $30.15442903873932609304929003875415.thumb.jpg.3bd193fd48cc76bd31ccf13254953d53.jpg

22 hours ago, Joevember said:

Temp has been falling recently. It usually stays at a smooth 78, but now it's crusing at 73. So I got a big upgrade to my heater. Was a neotherm 75w, now a 200w. Overkill, I know, but I got if for $30.15442903873932609304929003875415.thumb.jpg.3bd193fd48cc76bd31ccf13254953d53.jpg

Ahhhh don't tell me this was the same heater posted on CR for $30...... Darn it shoulda jumped on it.