Top Shelf Aquatics

Acros & other SPS recommendations for nano tank

Playapixie

Hey all.  The bottom 2/3 of my tank are jam-packed with LPS, some Montis, and some softies.  The only space that’s left is the upper 1/3 towards the back, and I have my eyes set on filling it out with some Acros or other branching SPS.  So far I have a Pink Lemonade Acro and a Ponape Birdsnest growing great back there.  Any suggestions for acros (especially) that have a form and size factor that works in nanos?  I’m thinking things that grow more upright rather than, say, tabling (which would shade everything.) I have the stability, flow, lighting, and parameters to support most things at this point, but preference towards the more tried & true survivors rather than the super-finicky.  What acros and other branching SPS do you love in your tanks?

29A3A7C2-315E-4482-8BB9-2EDC65F1510B.jpeg

This is a 34 gallon 20” X 20” cube, btw...so on the larger side for “nano.”

Hard to go wrong with the following: green slimer, pc rainbow, Garf bonsai, or setosa if you want something that isn't too finicky and has a nice pop in colors.  Just be aware that all acros will become colonies and will require trimming down the line (like all corals). 

I'd shy away from tablers such as red planets, solis, efflos, and hyacinthus if you don't want a lot of horizontal growth which would shade everything below it. 

In what lighting do you normally view your tank? Does it tend toward more whitish or more blueish?

Whitish: go for some classics that look great in white light: red dragon, cali/oregon tort, hawkins echinata, garf bonsai, maybe a digi or setosa of some sort

Bluish: go for things that pop: bali slimer and WWC slimeball (anacropora) glow under blues and both have a interesting growth pattern (unfortunately they are green), depending on your threshold for wallet pain the WD (IMO) lives up to its reputation as a stunner and is both pretty hardy and grows quickly (plus the price is coming down)