Coral Vue Hydros

NPS pico tank?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi everyone! I was wondering...is an NPS pico tank (perhaps a 2 gallon jar) possible? At first glance they strike me as having several advantages;

- Easy to do regular large water changes

- No fish to compete for food

- Easy to customize the current for finicky species

- No need for a light

So...are they reasonable? I was especially wondering about a tube anemone in a 2 gallon jar...that would be a cool heirloom, as they can last for decades (and the sand bed required for them would be sufficiently deep that complete nitrification could occur in the sand bed). Thanks

Anything is possible, however nps as im sure you already know. Require target feeding (and or) broadcast feedings. Some daily feeding, and others you can go as much as 2-3 days between feedings. With such a small water volume, it will be rather difficult to keep parameters stable. Unless your truly willing to test at the minimum weekly, and possibly perform bi-weekly water changes. It may not be such a great idea

I'd venture to say that a seasoned pico reefer could pull it off. If it seems worth your while. Fill your jar up and start a thread. I'd love to follow along

I think it's possible with diligent maintenance to maintain NPS in picos but as discussed in one of your other threads, tube anemones grow rather large. I've seen some in the LFS that would already fill my 2-ish gallon contest jar. 

AlmightyJoshaeus

OK. If I ever try a NPS pico it would likely be with black sun corals...my idea is this: the jar would have live rock and a (deep?) layer of live sand. It would also have macroalgae to further help with nutrient export, and on one of the rocks would lie the black sun coral, being fed daily or every other day. I would do a 1 gallon water change three times a week and aerate the tank with two airlines.

• Like 1

I would skip the DSB and just go with no sand bed or a shallow one and rinse it out with the water change. Sun corals are easy to care for, just feed em and do 100% water changes. Very easy imo!

• Like 1