Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help with a Helfrichi Firefish

FishyTheManokit

FishyTheManokit

So I have a small 9 gallon salt water aquarium with a pistol shrimp and a goby, as well as a few corals. Last weekend I bought a Helfrichi Firefish and a Fire shrimp and added them to the tank. The shrimp has been doing fine but the Firefish has been acting strange, they've been darting around and hiding behind the filter at night, I've also noticed that he's gotten some nips in his fins.

I just want someones opinion to see if something might be wrong, I really don't want anything to happen to this fish.

Firefish bed down under rocks at night...where the pistol and goby dominate hence the nips.

as for the darting- that is not TOO uncommon until it feels comfortable. Hope you have a lid as they will jump. 

there are mixed reviews for firefish and pistols BTW. They do not always mix well.

• Like 1
FishyTheManokit
1 minute ago, Boggers said:

Firefish bed down under rocks at night...where the pistol and goby dominate hence the nips.

as for the darting- that is not TOO uncommon until it feels comfortable. Hope you have a lid as they will jump. 

there are mixed reviews for firefish and pistols BTW. They do not always mix well.

Ah alright! I'm going to probably take the pistol shrimp and goby back to the store in the next few days or so.

Also I recently saw a fish called the Flaming prawn goby online and I'm super interested, ever heard of it?

FishyTheManokit
Just now, Boggers said:

Sure, SUPER small but kinda cool. Would be a good fit in a small tank like this. 30+ and you would never find it.

Cool! I'll see if I can order one in sometime soon, I think I heard somewhere that they could also pair with pistol shrimp. Is that true?

Also would it be compatible with the Firefish?

Agree with Clown, These 2 might be ok as the goby would be the smaller of the two. However, the prawn goby hides a bunch so if you are looking for active swimmers this is not a good pick.

FishyTheManokit
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Firefish and gobies aren't always compatible because they often prefer the same territory and have the same body shape 

Ah okie, then is there anything you'd recommend for a small tank that would be compatible with a Firefish?

FishyTheManokit
29 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Agree with Clown, These 2 might be ok as the goby would be the smaller of the two. However, the prawn goby hides a bunch so if you are looking for active swimmers this is not a good pick.

I'll ask the people at my local fish store to get their opinions before I decide to buy it, from what I can tell they're expensive

1 hour ago, FishyTheManokit said:

Ah alright! I'm going to probably take the pistol shrimp and goby back to the store in the next few days or so.

Also I recently saw a fish called the Flaming prawn goby online and I'm super interested, ever heard of it?

I had 1 for about 3 years-ish. I got a steal on it at 19.99.  Still wasnt worth it.  Even in a 3 gallon tank by itself I very very rarely saw it.

1 hour ago, FishyTheManokit said:

Cool! I'll see if I can order one in sometime soon, I think I heard somewhere that they could also pair with pistol shrimp. Is that true?

Also would it be compatible with the Firefish?

It's a misnomer.  They have no relationship with prawn/shrimp.  They are both docile fish so they should be fine, but chances are you would never see an interaction to begin with, lol.  

11 hours ago, FishyTheManokit said:

Ah okie, then is there anything you'd recommend for a small tank that would be compatible with a Firefish?

I have a pictus blenny with mine.. No issue. Some blennys are bullies but the smaller ones are pretty relaxed. 

Other ideas? Bangaii cardinal... Chromis.... Possum wrasse... Clown gobies...