Innovative Marine Aquariums

ReefGoat

23 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

The fluconazole treatment may kill all the algae problems you are having. It cleared everything up that I didn't want growing in my tank. I would start it now before it gets worst.  

My cheato grew faster probably due to the higher nutrients from the die off of algae. 

interesting. I may just do that.............. Thanks @jdmcbuilt

8 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

interesting. I may just do that.............. Thanks @jdmcbuilt

Your welcome. Don't let it get out of control otherwise you have to dose for much longer. Stuff spreads like wild fire especially when you try and pull it out. 

I had some sprout a couple weeks ago and I had 1 pill of reef flux left mixed it in and all gone in about 4 days. 

• Like 1

Fluco killed my bryopsis in 4 days... I just had to be sure to stay on top of the dying algae as it can lead to worse problems. I didn't see it kill anything else including other algaes but I removed it as soon as the bryopsis was gone. I tried it in my CWT for pink fuzzy algae and GHA and it worked but took more like a month. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Your welcome. Don't let it get out of control otherwise you have to dose for much longer. Stuff spreads like wild fire especially when you try and pull it out. 

I had some sprout a couple weeks ago and I had 1 pill of reef flux left mixed it in and all gone in about 4 days. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Fluco killed my bryopsis in 4 days... I just had to be sure to stay on top of the dying algae as it can lead to worse problems. I didn't see it kill anything else including other algaes but I removed it as soon as the bryopsis was gone. I tried it in my CWT for pink fuzzy algae and GHA and it worked but took more like a month. 

Reef Flux and CUC should be here on the 3rd or 4th. 

• Like 1

So I'm pretty sure what my tank has is Cyano in it's brown form on my sandbed. I am pretty sure this happened once my skimmer really started producing and stripped my tank of nutrients. Someone slap my hand if this is the wrong thinking. But I noticed it starting within a week of my skimmer starting to produce nice dirty dark skim. Please critique my plan of attack to deal with this scourge.

-Start with a 3 day blackout as the first punch. During the 3 day blackout I'm going to run Phosguard and Carbon and skim heavily. 

-End of Day 3 I will proceed with a 10 gallon water change and siphon out as much as I possibly can. 

-Mix up 30 gallons of water this weekend and remove as much sand as possible along with my inverts that are probably in the sand. Find and remove as many inverts as possible and clean the crap out of the sand in tap water and then do a final rinse in saltwater before adding back to tank. Before doing the 30 gallon water change I will scrub rock and blast them with a baster. 

-For the final kick in the groin to them I will run a Dr. Tim's refresh and Waste Away 14 day regimen. 

MOVING FORWARD

-Bump water changes to 10 gallons instead of 5 gallons weekly. 

-Baste rocks and stir sand every water change

-I didn't know I was suppose to but I will start rinsing my frozen food. This could be the culprit as well.

-Start feeding every other day instead of every day. This could be the culprit as well.

-Start using purigen

-Since my skimmer is so good at its job and I am bumping my water changes up. I will need to keep nutrients up with Seachem Flourish? I would like to maintain at least 5ppm nitrate and at least .06 to .10 phosphate until tank matures and balances out. 

-Keep sump more clean by doing a cleaning every month along with equipment. 

-Once all of the above is done and the nutrients in the tank stabilize down the road............... Finally..............Get a fuge running in my middle chamber. 

I also have a very small patch of bryopsis which I plan on dealing with AFTER the cyano battle. I will use Reef Flux for this. But I only want to do one thing at a time. 

I know it sounds crazy by me doing so much to remove nutrients just to add them. But my thinking is that my problems started when my nutrients got too low from heavy skimming. But to battle the algae the food has to be taken away.......hence this huge regime I'm planning. But once the algae is beaten I will need to keep this from happening again by keep up with my nutrients until my tank is mature enough to keep the nutrients stable and present. Am I thinking about this all wrong?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 12/31/2018 at 11:55 AM, jdmcbuilt said:

With that treatment, won't the nutrients from the die off just jump start the problem again? Or did you do a bunch of water changes in a row? I only ask cause on my tank i'm getting to the point of having to use meds to clear up the gha. You're right about it spreading while you try manuel removal. I'm at my whits end with it.

27 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

So I'm pretty sure what my tank has is Cyano in it's brown form on my sandbed. I am pretty sure this happened once my skimmer really started producing and stripped my tank of nutrients. Someone slap my hand if this is the wrong thinking. But I noticed it starting within a week of my skimmer starting to produce nice dirty dark skim. Please critique my plan of attack to deal with this scourge.

-Start with a 3 day blackout as the first punch. During the 3 day blackout I'm going to run Phosguard and Carbon and skim heavily. 

-End of Day 3 I will proceed with a 10 gallon water change and siphon out as much as I possibly can. 

-Mix up 30 gallons of water this weekend and remove as much sand as possible along with my inverts that are probably in the sand. Find and remove as many inverts as possible and clean the crap out of the sand in tap water and then do a final rinse in saltwater before adding back to tank. Before doing the 30 gallon water change I will scrub rock and blast them with a baster. 

-For the final kick in the groin to them I will run a Dr. Tim's refresh and Waste Away 14 day regimen. 

MOVING FORWARD

-Bump water changes to 10 gallons instead of 5 gallons weekly. 

-Baste rocks and stir sand every water change

-I didn't know I was suppose to but I will start rinsing my frozen food. This could be the culprit as well.

-Start feeding every other day instead of every day. This could be the culprit as well.

-Start using purigen

-Since my skimmer is so good at its job and I am bumping my water changes up. I will need to keep nutrients up with Seachem Flourish? I would like to maintain at least 5ppm nitrate and at least .06 to .10 phosphate until tank matures and balances out. 

-Keep sump more clean by doing a cleaning every month along with equipment. 

-Once all of the above is done and the nutrients in the tank stabilize down the road............... Finally..............Get a fuge running in my middle chamber. 

I also have a very small patch of bryopsis which I plan on dealing with AFTER the cyano battle. I will use Reef Flux for this. But I only want to do one thing at a time. 

Sounds like a lot of steps.

I'd stop at the third bullet on your current plan of attack (deep clean the sandbed and blast the rock, followed by big wc), and assess the situation.  

As far as moving forward piece, increasing wc% is a good idea, as well as the rock and sand blasting/stirring every wc forward.  

All the extra stuff - that'd just introduce possible complication if things can be fixed simply through the aforementioned 2 processes.

I'd give you new wc routine at least a month...

pics?  

28 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

With that treatment, won't the nutrients from the die off just jump start the problem again? Or did you do a bunch of water changes in a row? I only ask cause on my tank i'm getting to the point of having to use meds to clear up the gha. You're right about it spreading while you try manuel removal. I'm at my whits end with it.

No water changes during treatment it removes the meds. My fish inverts and corals were all fine. Remove the carbon keep GFO. Let it work it's magic. I tested once after day 7 and I didn't see anything spike up. It works wonders on bad algae.  

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

No water changes during treatment it removes the meds. My fish inverts and corals were all fine. Remove the carbon keep GFO. Let it work it's magic. I tested once after day 7 and I didn't see anything spike up. It works wonders on bad algae.  

Thanks, someone mentioned it before, but sticking meds in my tank worries me lol. I found it, it's called reef flux correct?

36 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Mexican turbos eat every spec of GHA when I get a bloom. They large though and can eat macros or knock stuff over that isn't glued down.

The bad part about reef flux and GHA is it takes much much longer to work on GHA than bryopsis.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

I know it sounds crazy by me doing so much to remove nutrients just to add them. But my thinking is that my problems started when my nutrients got too low from heavy skimming. But to battle the algae the food has to be taken away.......hence this huge regime I'm planning. But once the algae is beaten I will need to keep this from happening again by keep up with my nutrients until my tank is mature enough to keep the nutrients stable and present. Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Keep it simple the more you move stuff in your tank the more problems you will have. 

I do monthly water changes on my 75g no issues. Bio pellet/ skimmer on 24/7. Cheato. I use the water in my 75g for my 10g as a water change every 2 weeks. 

I dose microbacter7 once weekly and aquavitro fuel twice weekly. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Tamberav said:

Mexican turbos eat every spec of GHA when I get a bloom. They large though and can eat macros or knock stuff over that isn't glued down.

I have a shipment of asst snails coming wed, gonna see if they make a dent, then i'll use reef flux as last ditch effort. My problem algae is deep in the rock work so getting to it may prove to be a challenge. We shall see in the coming days though. That stuff does spread quick if you can't net the algae before it disappears in the rocks.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The bad part about reef flux and GHA is it takes much much longer to work on GHA than bryopsis.

14 days tops. No biggie. Less feeding around that time. My Mexican turbos never touch GHA. I have 5 golf ball sized turbos. 

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have a shipment of asst snails coming wed, gonna see if they make a dent, then i'll use reef flux as last ditch effort. My problem algae is deep in the rock work so getting to it may prove to be a challenge. We shall see in the coming days though. That stuff does spread quick if you can't net the algae before it disappears in the rocks.

If you want to go natural and not use meds. You have to take rock out scrub with brush and hope the GHA stops growing. Once it catches wind tho it just spreads. The spores it let's off when you touch and pull out just keeps making it come back and spread. Bryopsis does the same. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, jdmcbuilt said:

If you want to go natural and not use meds. You have to take rock out scrub with brush and hope the GHA stops growing. Once it catches wind tho it just spreads. The spores it let's off when you touch and pull out just keeps making it come back and spread. Bryopsis does the same. 

lol yeah pulling rock isn't gonna happen. Looks like the meds may have to happen. I'm good with the meds as long as I know people have done it. The site says its fine too as long as you don't over dose.

13 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

lol yeah pulling rock isn't gonna happen. Looks like the meds may have to happen. I'm good with the meds as long as I know people have done it. The site says its fine too as long as you don't over dose.

Just be patient you will see it works after about 7 days stick to it for 14 days. Lower your feeding habit and you should be good. Keep GFO. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
35 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Just be patient you will see it works after about 7 days stick to it for 14 days. Lower your feeding habit and you should be good. Keep GFO. 

hmm only thing i run is floss and chemipure. Should I buy gfo and bag it?

6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

hmm only thing i run is floss and chemipure. Should I buy gfo and bag it?

No chemipure it has carbon in it. You can buy GFO. But you don't have too. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Sounds like a lot of steps.

I'd stop at the third bullet on your current plan of attack (deep clean the sandbed and blast the rock, followed by big wc), and assess the situation.  

As far as moving forward piece, increasing wc% is a good idea, as well as the rock and sand blasting/stirring every wc forward.  

All the extra stuff - that'd just introduce possible complication if things can be fixed simply through the aforementioned 2 processes.

I'd give you new wc routine at least a month...

pics?  

I'll post a picture when I get home. I'll just do the three and then assess the situation like you mentioned. Then once everything planes out. Treat the bryopsis. It just feels like everything got out of whack once the nutrients were pulled lower by the skimmer. It went for like 2 and a half months perfect no algae. Then around the start of month 3 boom. The skimmer just started producing dark skimmate and pulling it 247 then almost instantly I started seeing algae and my nutrients dropped to almost non existent. When I had no algae I had 10 nitrate and around .10 phosphate. Soon as the nutrients dropped to around 1 to 2 nitrates and .02 phosphate the problems seem to have started. 

1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

Unless you just cleaned all other areas, this looks like it could be a lack of flow issue?  Maybe others can chime in about the pics. Seems to be concentrated in that alcove/bay area and the “shadow” of the far right side. How many powerheads do you have? 

Also, if this is only month #3 for the tank, I think your issue will pass with just a good routine maintenance of sandbed and wc. It happens to most tanks. Yours may just be a bit slower cuz you’ve been removing extra nutrients thru skimming.  

You can try to ease the nutrients removal by running skimmer less, or none at all, depending on your feeding habit. Is there any fish in the tank? 

• Like 1
Just now, micoastreefing said:

Unless you just cleaned all other areas, this looks like it could be a lack of flow issue?  Maybe others can chime in about the pics. Seems to be concentrated in that alcove/bay area and the “shadow” of the far right side. How many powerheads do you have? 

Also, if this is only month #3 for the tank, I think your issue will pass with just a good routine maintenance of sandbed and wc. It happens to most tanks. Yours may just be a bit slower cuz you’ve been removing extra nutrients thru skimming.  

You can try to ease the nutrients removal by running skimmer less, or none at all, depending on your feeding habit. Is there any fish in the tank? 

Doesn’t this just look like diatoms?   My tank didn’t get them for 3 months..

• Like 1