Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ReefGoat

Reef Octopus VarioS-2 controllable DC pump is INCOMING should be here Thursday! I'm pretty stoked because the non controllable cad lights return pump is pretty lackluster. 

I'll be putting in the order to legendary corals tomorrow for a Watermelon Cyphastrea, Mummy Eye Chalice and Fascination Favia. We reefin' now gang, We reefin' 

• Like 2

Ah the ups and downs of reefin'. Woke up this morning and did the ritual of checking on the tank and the equipment. Saw that one of the new clowns was absent. Looked around and low and behold.  Floor surfing Fish Jerky. I knew I should have gotten another screen top when my son bent the last one I feel so bad about this. We still have one clown so i'm hoping that it doesn't try and jump until the screen kit gets here Friday. I'll be making the trip to pick up another clown this weekend. Can't let this set me back and get discouraged...... But with the funds going to the BRS screen top and another fish. The coral order is on hold for now. 

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

Ah the ups and downs of reefin'. Woke up this morning and did the ritual of checking on the tank and the equipment. Saw that one of the new clowns was absent. Looked around and low and behold.  Floor surfing Fish Jerky. I knew I should have gotten another screen top when my son bent the last one I feel so bad about this. We still have one clown so i'm hoping that it doesn't try and jump until the screen kit gets here Friday. I'll be making the trip to pick up another clown this weekend. Can't let this set me back and get discouraged...... But with the funds going to the BRS screen top and another fish. The coral order is on hold for now. 

Sorry to hear about the fish. It sucks to lose them like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear about the fish. It sucks to lose them like that. 

Yeah its a real bummer. Been tough to concentrate at work. Everything was moving along so nicely and as planned. 

7 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Yeah its a real bummer. Been tough to concentrate at work. Everything was moving along so nicely and as planned. 

Things happen sometimes. Don't blame yourself. You can use the plastic partitions (in FW tanks) as a temporary lid as you get a new proper lid for this tank. I sawed one partition into half and overlapped the pieces (plus used another layer of mesh) as a makeshift triple-lid on my 20G. Thankfully, no fish has escaped yet, although I have heard my wrasse plonk himself on one of the lids in the middle of the night. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, vlangel said:

O wow, losing fish is always tough and maybe even worse when its to carpet surfing.  I think we have all experienced it at least once. 😢

Yeah it's even more tough because I knew better. I was just putting off buying the screen until I got the first wrasse. Thinking that the clowns wouldn't jump. For anyone that stumbles upon this in the future........CLOWNS JUMP GET A SCREEN. Don't put it off. 

• Like 2

Awwww man, this just happened to me for the first time 2 days ago after having clowns for 15 years.  I was super lucky because I just happened to walk over to feed the tank right after it jumped and I noticed he was missing so I was able to find him and throw him back in.   The cover is staying on from now on, I've been lazy about it lately. 

Sorry about your clown.  :sad:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

Which lid did you order? 

It's the 36"  DIY with the clear 1/4" net

1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Awwww man, this just happened to me for the first time 2 days ago after having clowns for 15 years.  I was super lucky because I just happened to walk over to feed the tank right after it jumped and I noticed he was missing so I was able to find him and throw him back in.   The cover is staying on from now on, I've been lazy about it lately. 

Sorry about your clown.  :sad:

Yeah I put it off too long

Well it's Friday..........Unless Clyde jumps between now and the time I get home from work and the screen is delivered. He will survive. There will be no more suicides in the 45 shallow! The Reef Octopus return pump came in yesterday and I'm thoroughly impressed at the build quality. It even came with a float switch that acts as a safety shut off should the return chamber of the sump ever run dry. I'll post some pictures of it once it's installed but it probably won't be this weekend because the union that came with it is a 1" and I need to get (1" pipe, new 3/4" union and a 1" x 3/4" reducer) before I can install it. But this thing looks like a beast and the controller is super nice as well. It's time to get this train back on the tracks. I've pouted about the suicide jumper long enough. 

• Like 1

So if anyone is thinking of getting a new pump I one hundred percent recommend the reef octopus return pump. It is completely silent. The only way to know it's on is to see the water moving. I'm pumped! No pun intended.

• Haha 1

Well I guess it's time for another fish. Going to try the online thing this time. I'm currently monitoring Divers Den waiting for the right wrassehole to appear. I'm currently eyeballing that Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse. But I was really wanting a Mystery Wrasse next. 

So this search for the mystery wrasse is proving to be more difficult than I thought. Live Aquaria doesn't have one so i'm still monitoring their site daily and I've exhausted all but one LFS around me in Louisiana. When they open i'm going to see if they can order me one. If they can't i'll have to move on to Houston and see if the search is more fruitful there. 

Update: got ahold of the LFS in Houston and the guy laughed when I told him what I was looking for and told me good luck. Not in a rude way of course but it's looking like I'm not going to get what I'm looking for. Perhaps I'll move on to corals for now.