Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to replace return pump

FrancineJ

So long story short the company I ended up getting my mj1200 from (original use was for good salt mixing) and they ended up sending me 2 by mistake and told me to keep the second free of charge, as it was their error and I am a good customer...

So this is my very first saltwater tank (actually my sons) so we are just getting a handle on getting things set up (got the stand together last night and will be working on the aquarium this week...

so now now that I have the extra pump I have heard ALOT of people are changing out their return pumps with the mj1200 (mine are both the cobalt version, not the cheap Chinese made ones)

So after all that... it’s a Coralife biocube 32 and I am wondering... to put it bluntly... how the heck do I replace the pump? I have no idea where to start and I have read about directors (some use the stock one I guess and others have replaced that as well) and also that the tubing doesn’t quite fit right... so what is used to replace that or fix that problem...

i basically need a step by step video (tried to find one on YouTube) or simple instructions on how to do it and what else I may need....

any help would be great 

if you need more info on what other stuff will be going in just ask... 

Thank you for your help!!

Ok thanks guys! I really hope it is that simple lol 

@Clown79

Do you think it will be of any benefit for me to put (I have the really good filter floss from intank- blue and white stuff) and I also have bucket loads of the cheap stuff (that looks like pillow stuffing) when cycling... should I put square of the intank stuff in and then a bit of the cheap stuff? I’m thinking that way we can replace the more expensive stuff less and just change out the fluffy stuff like everyday every other day and then maybe the intank one like once a week?.... there’s a lot of space above the intank stuff so I thought maybe it would save it and keep it in better shape...

also... this black sponge that everyone refers to (from chamber 2-3 I believe) 

A lot of people remove this... but I do plan on running Chaeto eventually and some complain that the Chaeto then clogs the pump... I don’t know how well the Intank Fuge basket will hold the Chaeto in... would it be best to leave the black sponge and just rinse it in tank water every water change or just take it out like some others?

I just use filter floss from big al's which costs $12.99 for bulk bag. Its cut to size and I replace it on waterchange day and then mid week.

Any sponge rinsed or not becomes can become a nutrient factory. That's why people don't commonly use sponges in sw.

Its needed in fw for bio filter but in sw, it leads to high nitrates and phos as you can't get it clean enough to prevent those issues.

Pump replacement is that easy. Sometime hoses need cutting but otherwise it's pretty basic upgrade.

So you’re suggesting that I take out the sponge that comes attached to the biocube? I’m not talking about adding extra sponges... it’s the one that comes on it stock... and if I take it out how do I keep the Chaeto from passing through and clogging my output?

and yes I have the same one from big als but I also have the intank rolls that’s why I thought maybe adding the square of intank floss with a touch of the big al stuff on top... You’d have to see the intank stuff (if you haven’t to know what I mean)

16 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

So you’re suggesting that I take out the sponge that comes attached to the biocube? I’m not talking about adding extra sponges... it’s the one that comes on it stock... and if I take it out how do I keep the Chaeto from passing through and clogging my output?

and yes I have the same one from big als but I also have the intank rolls that’s why I thought maybe adding the square of intank floss with a touch of the big al stuff on top... You’d have to see the intank stuff (if you haven’t to know what I mean)

I do know what it is. I Just don't know how well it will work with washing it because then it essentially isn't clean floss.

I believe most use it and dispose of it just like any floss. 

I have read of ppl removing the sponge in the biocube. 

I didn't experience chaeto clogging my pump so I'm not sure how often it occurs

55 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

I own a biocube most people pull the sponge between. The 2nd and 3rd chamber bc it gets nasty and could raise nitrates. Cheato going through the pump was minimal and didn't cause me problems. You will want to clean the pump chamber every know and then anyways. Juts remove the cheato scraps then no biggie..

• Like 1

Sorry I think you’re misunderstanding me...

im talking about 2 different things

1- the intank floss hardly even fills a quarter of of whole for it... my question there was should I put some of the cheaper stuff on top of it and change that out every other day and change the intank one like once or twice a week... if the loose cheap floss is on top it should make the intank one last longer... I was never intending on rinsing out any floss...just trying to see if combining both would be better...

2- the black sponge is what I was talking about weather I should remove... or if I should just wash it in tank water once a week....

the people that have taken it out complain that the Chaeto clogs up their pumps... because of the removal of the sponge... others have left it in and have no complaints about nitrAtes and no Chaeto clogging their pumps and flying into the tank making a huge mess....

I was just wondering why Coralife put the sponge there if it’s such a big problem? And what the worse of 2 evils is... rinsing the sponge out or having Chaeto flying all around my tank and clogging the pump....

5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I own a biocube most people pull the sponge between. The 2nd and 3rd chamber bc it gets nasty and could raise nitrates. Cheato going through the pump was minimal and didn't cause me problems. You will want to clean the pump chamber every know and then anyways. Juts remove the cheato scraps then no biggie..

Do you have the InTank Refugium too? I’m wondering if that in anyway might help contain the Chaeto... and did it fly all around your tank? I’m going to have pretty decent flow so I don’t want to be chasing it all around the tank... 

I know why they remove it... I wanted to know what the lesser of 2 evils was... rinsing the sponge every water change really good or removing it and chasing Chaeto lol 

I am not chasing my cheato so I would remove the sponge. The intank media basket is nice. I actually liked running cheato in there on the bottom. The top floss then in the second carbon and phosguard. The intank fuge is weird it has no sides so it doesn’t really stop the cheato from flowing out, IMO it just makes the cheato easier to pull out of the chamber and trim..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

Sorry I think you’re misunderstanding me...

im talking about 2 different things

1- the intank floss hardly even fills a quarter of of whole for it... my question there was should I put some of the cheaper stuff on top of it and change that out every other day and change the intank one like once or twice a week... if the loose cheap floss is on top it should make the intank one last longer... I was never intending on rinsing out any floss...just trying to see if combining both would be better...

2- the black sponge is what I was talking about weather I should remove... or if I should just wash it in tank water once a week....

the people that have taken it out complain that the Chaeto clogs up their pumps... because of the removal of the sponge... others have left it in and have no complaints about nitrAtes and no Chaeto clogging their pumps and flying into the tank making a huge mess....

I was just wondering why Coralife put the sponge there if it’s such a big problem? And what the worse of 2 evils is... rinsing the sponge out or having Chaeto flying all around my tank and clogging the pump....

Well you don't often hear of people having major issues with chaeto floating around their tank unless they keep it in their display.

You could just place mesh in the basket to prevent chaeto from getting out.

You will have to make the decision because as you have stated, some keep it and some don't.

It's one less thing to keep clean imo.

There is no 100% in this hobby.

As for why it comes stock with the sponge, is because that's their design but you will see that most people upgrade stock equipment.

Lol when I referred to it as fluff from Walmart pillows I didn’t mean  literally... it’s actual filter floss, that’s just what it looks like haha 😂 

@Clown79

here are the pictures: 

First Set has no protector on:

Second Set has the protector on but it’s just touching the sponge... I’m thinking it won’t be such a big deal touching the sponge... I’d rather that then then Chaeto clogging my pump (which Steve from intank again said to leave in and just swap them, which makes sense... I doubt there will be that much nitrAtes left after going through purigen and chemipure elite and the Chaeto right? It will have to hit all that before getting to the sponge part as far as I can see.... and he is the guy who made the baskets I’m using so if he says leave the sponge I think I’ll leave the sponge lol plus it’s gokng to be fish only for the first few months until I get it cycled.... then cuc.... then slowly add fish and other inverts....then I’ll be adding my corals and it says that with fish they will be fine with 20-40ppm nitrate... and I know I won’t have that because my tap water has like anywhere from 40-80ppm in it and the one bag of purigen takes them down to 5 in my 64 and 75g tanks and with this I won’t be starting with any nitrAtes to begin with so that’s already a head start lol

anyway here are the pics:

First 2 do not have the protector and the second 2 do... there is a gap without it (not big) but no impeller protection....and no gap with it but it’s not like squished in there....

im just a little confused because when I look up the tube that should be used with the MJ1200 they all say 1/2” ID and that’s what’s on the BC32... I just checked the manual... but it does seem a tad loose

if anyone else has made this mod (there has to be someone out there!! As it’s the most recommended pump replacement please also chime in!

also not all the suction cups stick down on it... due to the black stuff the use to seal the aquarium... the back ones don’t hold down but I think it will have enough suction to keep it in place....

Only odd thing is the only pictures I can find of this mod they just leave it like hanging down off the hose and they don’t appear to have the protector on it... seems odd....

31972170-88CB-4E87-9971-0EB2A50CFFFF.jpeg

C1B2EEA5-A3A8-49F8-B2CD-CB2D8EFF5CAA.jpeg

20BD0A9F-6A3B-47E4-961C-2F78A6C016C2.jpeg

CE47BD45-B49F-4CE7-934F-49D4A85F68C6.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FrancineJ said:

Sorry turn what around?

how else would I turn it? 

The pump turned around facing the other direction so the sponge isn't up against the grill. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm I never thought of that... I just assumed it would have to go toward where the water is coming from.... but I suppose the water in the 3rd chamber can’t get out without passing through the pump right?

im wondering if it would work even attached to the side instead as well? Or would that be worse?