Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon stock screen top

ThorReefer

So I have a tank as stated in the title of this discussion, and have an AI Prime HD hung about 11 inches off the water. I have been struggling to get the PAR levels where they need to be in my tank, and am trying to avoid getting another AI Prime HD, as they are expensive and seems overkill for a 20 gallon aquarium. I have a PAR meter and have noticed that the screen top that comes with the tank (thick plastic thread instead of thin like you can get if you buy it separately) blocks out a lot of the light. It drops the PAR readings about 40% at every depth of the tank, which is pretty excessive in my book.

Does anyone know the best option to cover the tank? I have jumpers in there, and they will definitely jump if I don't keep a top on it. Not sure if glass, acrylic, or just a different screen top is the best way to go. Thanks!

I made a DIY screen top that seems to reflect a lot less light. I don't have PAR readings to back it up but I do know that it's much less distracting to see. I got nylon mesh from a fabric store and stretched it over a window screen frame from Home Depot. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rp.McMurphy said:

I made a DIY screen top that seems to reflect a lot less light. I don't have PAR readings to back it up but I do know that it's much less distracting to see. I got nylon mesh from a fabric store and stretched it over a window screen frame from Home Depot. 

Any idea how big the holes are on the mesh you got?

I bought two types of mesh and settled on this one. Seems pretty close to window screen width but  is softer. The other one I bought was a wider hole, and I assume would let a lot more light through, but I thought this one looked sharper. 

IMG_9600.JPG

• Like 2

I use an ai prime on my 25 lagoon. I have sps and lps. I made my own lid with mesh and window framing.

I don't like the stock lids that come with the IM's.  The mesh they use blocks light.

I replaced the mesh on my 10g IM with 1/4" mesh which can be purchased at most lfs like BRS.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, Clown79 said:

I use an ai prime on my 25 lagoon. I have sps and lps. I made my own lid with mesh and window framing.

I don't like the stock lids that come with the IM's.  The mesh they use blocks light.

I replaced the mesh on my 10g IM with 1/4" mesh which can be purchased at most lfs like BRS.

I replaced the mesh with a 1/4" mesh. I adjusted my prime, and am running it near 100%, but my corals aren't doing super well. It is weird. I have an Acro that is doing great and growing well, and I have a monti that is pretty much dead at this point, as well as some eagle eye zoas, mushrooms, and a duncan coral. I have tried researching PAR requirements for all of them and placing them in different areas that have the correct PAR and they just don't do well. I'm not sure what else I can do. All of my levels are appropriate, and I test them regularly. My fish are healthy and active. Any tips? What settings do you run on your AI prime and how high do you have it above the water?

30 minutes ago, ThorReefer said:

I replaced the mesh with a 1/4" mesh. I adjusted my prime, and am running it near 100%, but my corals aren't doing super well. It is weird. I have an Acro that is doing great and growing well, and I have a monti that is pretty much dead at this point, as well as some eagle eye zoas, mushrooms, and a duncan coral. I have tried researching PAR requirements for all of them and placing them in different areas that have the correct PAR and they just don't do well. I'm not sure what else I can do. All of my levels are appropriate, and I test them regularly. My fish are healthy and active. Any tips? What settings do you run on your AI prime and how high do you have it above the water?

My Ai is 11- 12" from water level.

My light ramps up for 2 hrs.

I use David Saxby's schedule modified.

So my colours ramp up for 30mins to peak then drop for 30 mins. This goes on for 6hrs. 

This gives corals intense light then a respite.

B and RB peak at 90% and drop to 80%

V and uv peak 75% drop to 60%

W peaks at 17% drops to 12% (for 2 hrs)

W peaks st 10% drops to 7% (3 hrs)

R and green 10% (no peaks or respite) these run for only 3 hrs.

2 ramp down 

Lights off then lunar lighting starts until 2am.

Duncans, mushrooms, zoas don't generally like high light. Some monti's prefer moderate.

100% might be too much. Acros love high light. Keep the acro up high closet to the Ai but consider redoing the schedule.

An easy schedule I used to use that things liked

2 hrs ramp up

Violet and uv 80% for 6hrs

B and rb 70% 6hrs

W 15% for 2 hrs then 10% for 4hrs

R and g 8% for 3 hrs

Ramp down 2 hrs.

What are your parameters?

Do you feed the corals as well?