Innovative Marine Aquariums

3 hours ago, MrSquiggle said:

Nice work!

Good to know about the soda water!  I was looking at some pics of wennerae on google - what a nice green color!

Looking forward to seeing some photos or a video perhaps  🙂

Kevin is a cool name too!  Shrimpy was named by a community so he got what he was given lol

oh, mine is a purpley colour with yellow legs. about 4cm. smasher. when i tried to id him, there was a lot of variety in wenneraes. sorry i cant get a photo, cause hes always hidng and my cameras terrible anyways.

Hi Everyone,

Shirmpy update:

He has been holed up in his lair for 5 days now.  We are not exactly sure if he comes out during the day and then board up again at night, but we have not seen him that is for sure. 

The 6 Chromis are alive and well, they are being fed 2 times a day only, this seems to be working thus far.

I also grabbed a 3 free snails from our local aquarium. 

One of them went missing the day after we introduced them and the other two now spend their days as high up the sides of the tank as they can almost as if they are trying to escape lol

Does anyone know what these are?

1.JPG.b9324c3d5304df2101fe5f5ebbddba11.JPG

Also we have now removed the reef rock that came with the anemone...

We wanted to get it early before it had a chance to take a hold of the tank.  RIP

2.thumb.jpg.05b62c2cb90dacc4d6aef1c1a998b690.jpg

So no major news.

Hope your all well.

Peace.

Blennyboi: you definitely don't have a wennarae if you have indo pacific rock unless it came out of someone else's tank locally and they had it and just never knew.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Check that link.  Thats Dr. Roy Caldwell, a leading scientific expert in mantis shrimp.  He also posts over on the other big reef site, reef central.  If you can't ID it yourself you can go make a post there and he will ID it after a week or so. (not a lot of traffic in the mantis section anymore)

MrSquiggle:  It might be a majano anemone.  I can't say for sure.  Some nems get super pesty and can survive horrible conditions for months.  I have an aiptasia still sitting in an old water change bucket that I haven't emptied, outside in a storage closet with no sunlight.  Stagnant water with no circulation no temp control and it's been like a month and a half and it's still growing bigger.....  Majanos are pests as well but not quite as bad as aiptasia.  No idea on the snails.  Are they for sure algae eaters?  Make sure they are not predatory with 'trunks' in front of them similar to nassarus. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 12:55 PM, mndfreeze said:

Blennyboi: you definitely don't have a wennarae if you have indo pacific rock unless it came out of someone else's tank locally and they had it and just never knew.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Check that link.  Thats Dr. Roy Caldwell, a leading scientific expert in mantis shrimp.  He also posts over on the other big reef site, reef central.  If you can't ID it yourself you can go make a post there and he will ID it after a week or so. (not a lot of traffic in the mantis section anymore)

MrSquiggle:  It might be a majano anemone.  I can't say for sure.  Some nems get super pesty and can survive horrible conditions for months.  I have an aiptasia still sitting in an old water change bucket that I haven't emptied, outside in a storage closet with no sunlight.  Stagnant water with no circulation no temp control and it's been like a month and a half and it's still growing bigger.....  Majanos are pests as well but not quite as bad as aiptasia.  No idea on the snails.  Are they for sure algae eaters?  Make sure they are not predatory with 'trunks' in front of them similar to nassarus. 

Thanks very much @mndfreeze I will be keeping a close eye on all the Majanos etc that are springing up like weeds - so far none of the things that are alive on rock have grown to be a problem.  I will get some photos of the soon and hopefully will identify one that is starting to spread.

Do snails kill any anemones?

BTW I caught Shrimpy showing off yesterday...  Here is a short video showing his colours 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

That's a threat display.  He's probably a bit self conscious and doesn't want you staring. 😄

Cool good to know.  We should have named him "Rambo" lol he does this whenever we put our faces down near his lair!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on Shrimp and friends:

Ok so we moved house - Shrimpy and Friends survived the 2 hour drive and we did it the hard way.  We just emptied half the tank and threw it on the front seat.

We are lucky my wife is a good driver!

So...

Shrimpy is now very active in his tank...  He used to come out every few weeks, now we see him almost daily!

He has now killed two of his Chromis friends.  I am still not sure how he manages to do this as he is so small and they usually avoid him!  My wife is upset and will not let me replace the ones that got 123 deathed.   I will take them back to the local aquarium next week as now with only 5 fish in the tank I expect that when another goes the Chromis will start bullying the small fish again.

I will do some homework on something to add that is perhaps bigger and less prone to a beating!

On the reef rocks in the tank I recently replace some with new rock and moved things around a bit to try to give the Chromis some cover only to seemingly invite Shrimpy out to explore his new environment!

Water quality has been near perfect the whole time with nothing outside of safe levels.  Also no invasive algae etc.

So we have had a great run thus far!

Hope you are all well and your tanks are thriving!

• 1 month later...

Two new videos for you all:

Hope everyone is thriving!

Blue-cheeked sifter sifting and Shrimpy smashing a snail

Tank Update and new fish announced!

• 2 years later...

My Smithii (Pasley) started molting soon after I got him. I didn't know much about molting at the time, panicked, and dug him out of his burrow because I thought he died (I know now I shouldn't have done that, I really hope he's okay). We're approaching 2 weeks and Pasley still hasn't moved. What's more worrying is that his exoskeleton is completely gray, almost as though he's coated in dried mud. Does anyone else know about color changing during a molt? I don't think he's dead because I don't smell rotting, but I'm worried. Pasley is young, about 1.5 inches.

sad.jpg