Top Shelf Aquatics

Need Help - Neon Green Sinularia Problem

banasophia

Hi everyone, I could use some help on this. 

I got this coral from Divers Den on Thursday. When it arrived it had tons of weird hitchhikers, some that looked like barnacles that I removed. It looked shriveled up from shipping, but nice. I put it on my sand bed and used it to anchor my new gorgonian until I could figure out where to place them. Unfortunately the sinularia seemed to bend over in the flow where I had it temporarily for the day, but I figured it would be fine once I got it in its new spot and it would probably straighten back up and open. 

So just now I was checking it out and went to touch one of the bent over parts to be sure it wasn’t limp and it came right off the rock. I pulled it and its rock out to figure out how to reattach it and discovered it had a totally foul smell and all the corals seemed to be attached to weird hard calcified shards underneath.

What is going on? What should I do? The rock smelled really awful, so I took all the sinularia corals off of it and tossed it. I have the corals in a cup of tank water and I’m thinking maybe frag the bases and shards off and attach to new rocks, but not really sure about what is going on, or the best course of action. Appreciate any guidance. 

Thanks for your help!

9F3E3ED2-0246-439C-AE38-2F6B7BC166F8.jpeg

61031421-7332-46DD-962B-79BA4F613299.jpeg

5DFB7A97-C454-4977-BE34-3632445373AE.jpeg

3B12B2FD-7F0E-46A0-9D60-5FE04C3821A3.jpeg

If its hardening or totally mush(falling apart), it's not in good shape. 

You may need to cut off any pieces that aren't hard for survival

If there are soft pieces left, you can frag them off the hardened pieces.

Put them in a container of rubble wrapped with mesh and place it in the tank. Those will attach and grow.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If its hardening or totally mush(falling apart), it's not in good shape. 

You may need to cut off any pieces that aren't hard for survival

If there are soft pieces left, you can drag them off the hardened pieces.

Put them in a container of rubble wrapped with mesh and place it in the tank. Those will attach and grow.

Great, thanks Clown. 🙂

I posted in some other places and the general consensus was that the shards are apparently spicules and a normal part of leathers. I’m thinking the really foul odor was from the rock, not the coral, and totally unrelated. I attached the 4 coral pieces to different rocks and so far so good. Hopefully they will stay attached and be fine. 

If they came off the base like that there's an infection that started. Cut it off, dip in an iodide dip and you should be good to go. The smell was the leather coral, not the rock.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

If they came off the base like that there's an infection that started. Cut it off, dip in an iodide dip and you should be good to go. The smell was the leather coral, not the rock.

Thanks @StinkyBunny, yes I was able to attach the 4 coral pieces to new rock and it looks like they may be okay. And on a positive note, at least now I have them fragged so I have some for each tank. 🙂

0580DB21-D202-4045-8E25-C1E629FB890E.thumb.jpeg.fd1f50243ae0abf55d9bbf125e774a3b.jpegC5C28D99-A480-42BA-9DFF-93F24D3F30B9.thumb.jpeg.0301f7a5e54b8d1d980e7d84f441d9b1.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good! Beautiful tank! The shards are not normal part of most leathers but are normal for sinularia and how you know you actually have sinularia and not nepthea. This type of leather coral actually helps build reefs since it makes those calcified shards at the bottom.

26 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks @StinkyBunny, yes I was able to attach the 4 coral pieces to new rock and it looks like they may be okay. And on a positive note, at least now I have them fragged so I have some for each tank. 🙂

0580DB21-D202-4045-8E25-C1E629FB890E.thumb.jpeg.fd1f50243ae0abf55d9bbf125e774a3b.jpegC5C28D99-A480-42BA-9DFF-93F24D3F30B9.thumb.jpeg.0301f7a5e54b8d1d980e7d84f441d9b1.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Looks good! Beautiful tank! The shards are not normal part of most leathers but are normal for sinularia and how you know you actually have sinularia and not nepthea. This type of leather coral actually helps build reefs since it makes those calcified shards at the bottom.

Thanks so much @Tamberav! And that is really interesting about the shards, I’ll look forward to researching that subject!!

• 1 year later...

I've had my green sinularia for a little over a year.  Up until last month it was opening, closing, growing, and thriving.  Suddenly this happy little guy shut down and will not open up again.  I used a toothbrush to get some algae off last week and wake it up.....Poor thing I want to help it but am at a loss.  My tank specs are consistent but maybe I am missing something.  Any ideas?  

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

7 minutes ago, twofishys said:

I've had my green sinularia for a little over a year.  Up until last month it was opening, closing, growing, and thriving.  Suddenly this happy little guy shut down and will not open up again.  I used a toothbrush to get some algae off last week and wake it up.....Poor thing I want to help it but am at a loss.  My tank specs are consistent but maybe I am missing something.  Any ideas?  

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

They need flow and mine loved light.

12 minutes ago, twofishys said:

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They need flow and mine loved light.

yes, I’d probably try more light, also check your phosphate... and just give it some time... 

31 minutes ago, twofishys said:

Is this too extreme a move for more light and flow?  E86C16EA-39D4-4264-86ED-1B8DDCF4F276.thumb.jpeg.4084c6326a380b6fe6c9619f7ae04df0.jpegI haven’t checked my phosphates I will today with a quick water change.

Well... mine are at the top in both of my tanks, but my lights aren’t super powerful cuz they are a Biocube and Evo 5 with stock lights.

Neon green sinularia are awesome btw because you can white balance the camera on them when taking pics... I always white balance on my sinularia or candy cane.

C6B77261-35E8-4DEC-BB59-DD31C13BD96B.thumb.jpeg.c27afc6933a9e8964a15411d44a18c6b.jpeg

A155711D-A0D0-409E-9BD3-A2CF66997B3B.thumb.jpeg.40263e4b545019f4415422cc106dcb0d.jpeg

4 minutes ago, twofishys said:

I have the same tank and lighting system!!!  I choose to believe this is the right move to open up the recent introvert

Yeah, sometimes mine just shrinks up for a while, or wilts. Usually the wilting happens when phosphate is high. Hopefully yours will get happy again soon.