Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chi's IM20 NUVO Fusion Build

cpatel529

25 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Awesome little setup you got going on here. 🙌

Thank you!  This is a fun hobby that I am slowly learning more and more about...  Next step is to get my Apex EL setup properly so that everything functions properly when needed without me manually turning stuff on/off all the time... 

Chi

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just got back from a one week international work trip on Sunday and all my livestock survived but I had hair algae outbreak. I guess this is considered a "good" thing to show that tank cycle and maturization process is working.  I had kept my lights on a pretty strong white which probably didnt help.  Cleaned the glass, siphoned the sand, did a water change, added CUC (hermit crabs and assorted snails), brushed the rocks, changed lights to a blue color and only turn on when I am home, and the algae is slowing going away.

Filtration update:  Removed the filter floss only holder and added a 2nd InTank media basket with filter floss, chemipure and purigen (just like the chamber on the order side).

Also, I added a red fire shrimp and a orchid dottyback yesterday.  The hawkfish is playing nicely so far with the shrimp and the dottyback is pretty small and hides most the time. 

51512837_10156497613922025_896596374617849856_o.jpg

Decided that today was the day to add my first coral.  Went to the local fish shop and picked up a green Platygara (aka Maze brain).  Completed a water change, get the coral acclimate and it has successfuly been added to the tank (well its only been 2 hours).  I am going to be using the AB+ light scheme with my Hydra 26 HD and will see how it goes.

In other news, my royal dotty back has been living in my rear chamber for the last couple weeks since it got sucked in through the return openings.  Finally was able to catch him (he would hide everytime I tried previously) when I did my water change and he is back in the main tank.

Other tank changes:  Removed my chaeto since I wasnt sure if it was helping with filtration.  Ended up using the refugium section to load it up with Marine Pure Bio Balls and will see how that works.  The refuge setup was building algue in the back and when I would lift it up, a bunch of crap would into the return chamber and then into the main tank.  

For parts:  My SafeTopLids should be arriving on Monday (3/4).  Cant wait to see how it turned out.  Pictures to follow.

In the meantime been playing with my Polyp Lab Coral View Lens for my Pixel 3 XL and here is the picture I took of the coral in its new home... Im sure that i can take better pics but have to move onto other activities for the day.

IMG_20190301_190950.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, cpatel529 said:

Well I just got back from a one week international work trip on Sunday and all my livestock survived but I had hair algae outbreak. I guess this is considered a "good" thing to show that tank cycle and maturization process is working.  I had kept my lights on a pretty strong white which probably didnt help.  Cleaned the glass, siphoned the sand, did a water change, added CUC (hermit crabs and assorted snails), brushed the rocks, changed lights to a blue color and only turn on when I am home, and the algae is slowing going away.

Filtration update:  Removed the filter floss only holder and added a 2nd InTank media basket with filter floss, chemipure and purigen (just like the chamber on the order side).

Also, I added a red fire shrimp and a orchid dottyback yesterday.  The hawkfish is playing nicely so far with the shrimp and the dottyback is pretty small and hides most the time. 

51512837_10156497613922025_896596374617849856_o.jpg

One thing I did with my Nuvo. For the second media basket, I added in Seachem Matrix. So that one of the media baskets has chem filtration (purigen), and the second one is loaded with Matrix, both have filter floss. 

How is do you like the RFG’s?

On 3/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, KevBot said:

One thing I did with my Nuvo. For the second media basket, I added in Seachem Matrix. So that one of the media baskets has chem filtration (purigen), and the second one is loaded with Matrix, both have filter floss. 

How is do you like the RFG’s?

Kevin,

Thats a good idea.  I will have to look into that!  How does the Seachem matrix differ from marine bio balls?

As for the RFGs... I like them alot.  Havent had any issues with them and flow is great around my tank.  Highly recommend them.

Chi

Another monthly update... Had a couple fish go on me.  Unfortunately my blue sapphire damsel "dissappeared" on me.  I have a feeling that it died and then the CUC took care of the remains...  Replaced it with a Green Chromi and a Tail Spot Blenny (was waiting a month for it to arrive at fish store) last week.  Both have been doing well in the tank and its fun watching the tail spot blenny find nooks in the rocks to hide.  Trying to keep fish of different colors in the tank.  

As for corals, I picked up a zoa (right side of tank) last week and a hammer spawn (left side in sand) today.  So far so good as they adapt to the tank.  Getting small frags and placing them throughout the tank has been fun and will probably do 1-2 a month to continue to grow the tank and add color and style.

The safetoplids.com lid also has been installed and it looks fantastic!  Has a cutout for my ehiem auto feeder mount and a covered opening that I can use to manually feed my fish with my hand.

Also got some reef roids and Two Little Fishies Julians Multi-purpose tool to do some coral spot feeding once a week.  Will start next week...

Thats it for now...

IMG_20190403_150058.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, cpatel529 said:

Kevin,

Thats a good idea.  I will have to look into that!  How does the Seachem matrix differ from marine bio balls?

As for the RFGs... I like them alot.  Havent had any issues with them and flow is great around my tank.  Highly recommend them.

Chi

Never used Marine Bio balls, so I’m not too sure. Sorry about that, however I have read many good things about the Matrix, which is why I went that route. 

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...