Cultivated Reef

Chi's IM20 NUVO Fusion Build

cpatel529

Well after a lot of research, I have decided to dive into the deep end and build my 1st nano saltwater fish/reef tank.  Tank will have softies, LPS and some fish and CUC (exact types are TBD).  

Here is a list of some of the parts that I will be procuring over the next couple weeks to get the tank setup and running.

Equipment:
Tank: IM Nuvo Fusion 20

Stand: Reinforced IKEA stand (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39047799/#/S59046906)
LED: AI Hydra 26 HD (black) with AI EXT Stand Mount (Black)

Heater: 75W Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater
Wave Maker: IceCap 1K Gyre Pump (side wall mounted)
ATO: Neptune ATK 

Return Pump Upgrade: MightyJet DC Return Pump (Mid-Size) w/ 2x 1/2 in RFG Nozzles (19mm adaptors)

Controller: APEX EL

Auto Feeder: Eheim Auto Feeder

Top: Safetoplids.com

Filtration:

Media Baskets: inTank Media Basket (x2)
Media: InTank Filter Floss, ChemiPure Elite and Purigen

Refugium: InTank Fuge Basket w/  Marine Pure Bio Balls

Refugium: LED: IM ChaetoMax LED
Protein Skimmer: IM NuvoSkim Desktop

Rock: CaribSea Life Rock Shapes (20lbs) and CaribSea Life Rock Regular (20lbs)

Substrate: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand (30 lbs)

Test Kits:

Cycle Test Kit: API Salt water Master Test Kit and Seachem Labs Ammonia Alert

Coral/Fish Test Kit: Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit

Refractometer: Sea Side Aquatics REEFtractometer

Fish:

- Yellow Coris Wrasse

- Flame Hawkfish

- Orchid Dotty Back

- Green Chromi

- Tail Spot Blenny

CUC:

- Fire Red Shrimp

- Blue Hermits (x5)

- Assorted Snails (x5)

Corals (Softies/LPS/SPS):

- Platygyra (Maze Brain)

- Zoa

- Hammer Spawn

- Starburst Montipara

------

Tank Chamber Configuration:
Compartment 1: IMedia Basket 
Compartment 2: Refugium
Compartment 3: Upgraded Return Pump, ATO, Heater, Temp/Ph Probes
Compartment 4: Skimmer
Compartment 5: IMedia Basket 

Looking forward to receiving everything and starting my first tank project.

Any pros and cons for equipment combination is much appreciated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @cpatel529! 👋

It looks like you’re right on track with your planning, good gear choices! Have you kept freshwater aquariums in the past?

Thanks!  Some of my gear choices are still up in the air and based on whether I go big and get the Apex Controller (i.e. will get the Neptune ATK opposed to AquaMaxx Smart Micro) or not... What can I say, I have a soft spot for electronics. 

I have not kept a freshwater aquarium in the past.  This is definitely me jumping into the deep end and seeing if I can swim but I am excited...

I have started to purchase some equipment (i.e. tank, inTank Baskets and Carib Sea Life Rocks).  Seems more affordable when the total expenses are broken apart in smaller chunks.  Hopefully the first batch arrive next week when I get back home from my deployment support...Its like Christmas in October!  

First project will be to build the stand...

Chi

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Exciting, this will be a great project for you when you get home! Your research is clearly paying off so far, you have a good plan. 👍

Keep us posted!

Thanks!  Any issues with my current planned fish/CUC live stock?  Still need to figure out other CUC but this is my starting point.

Also, been reading a lot about the CaribSea Black Hawaiian sand not being too good for bottom dwellers and tough to burrow through due to coarse grains. Really like the look black sand and pink sand mixed together.  Do you think that I will have issues with my yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp or other CUC and sand combo?  If so, I may ditch the black sand idea (really liked it) and go with a CaribSea Special Blend and Fiji Pink mix.

Chi

That one worked...

I have the same tank and went with a reinforced IKEA stand too. Now I think it may have been over kill but at the same time I sleep easy at night. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ikea-brimnes-cabinet-as-stand-for-nuvo-20.379626/

Your plan looks great. My tank is 6 months old and I just run basic ATO, filter floss with a bag of Purigen and it's been super stable. Tech is fun too though! 

IMG_9327.JPG

While I continue to try and find a "black" sand substrate, I came across Nature's Ocean bio-active black sand. Not a lot of reviews outside of Amazon and they are saying that it isn't jet black.  After looking at some pictures, I figured I would buy a 10lb bag and see how it looks myself.  The grains are 0.5 - 1.5 mm (similar to the Carib Sea Fiji Pink).  If it looks good, I will buy another bag and mix it with 10 lbs of Carib Sea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink and use that as my substrate.

http://www.naturesocean.com/aquarium-supplies/bio-activ-live-aragonite.html

Anyone have experience with this sand?

1 hour ago, Rp.McMurphy said:

That one worked...

I have the same tank and went with a reinforced IKEA stand too. Now I think it may have been over kill but at the same time I sleep easy at night. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ikea-brimnes-cabinet-as-stand-for-nuvo-20.379626/

Your plan looks great. My tank is 6 months old and I just run basic ATO, filter floss with a bag of Purigen and it's been super stable. Tech is fun too though! 

IMG_9327.JPG

Looks awesome!  IM 20 goals right there!!  What online plans did use to build your interior reinforcement?  I want to do something similar and install the BESTA pieces around it.

Chi

24 minutes ago, cpatel529 said:

Looks awesome!  IM 20 goals right there!!  What online plans did use to build your interior reinforcement?  I want to do something similar and install the BESTA pieces around it.

Chi

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Worked out for me... just make sure you measure the actual dimensions of the lumber to get it looking sharp. 

Got some toys yesterday to start to put together the tank and stand... Need to design a board to hold all the electronics.  Will most likely be going on a sliding shelf that I can pull in and out as needed.

Also, got the IKEA stand and will start the reinforcement of it today.  Will be using 2x2 and 2x4 pieces of wood and sheet wood.  Did a temp build of the stand to see how it and the tank would look in the location that I am planning.  I think it works well!

Been playing around with some different aquascapes also.  Lots of options!

IMG_20181004_145632.jpg

IMG_20181005_021450.jpg

Wow! Looks awesome, fits right in with the rest of the furniture! I love my IM 20gal. Such a nice tank, tons of optional accessories and room to in the rear chambers. I can’t wait to see how your tank progresses, good luck!

After going through about a 100 different aquascapes finally settled on something pretty simple. Went and bought some AquaStik epoxy putty (coralline red) and bonded it all together. Being my first time, went a little over board and as I got nervous when the rocks wwew shifting on me.  Eventually got it all held together and the final product came out better than I thought. Here is a before (no putty) and final product pic (with putty). 

On another note, this AquaStick stuff is amazing and I hope it wells just as well underwater for frags. 

Need to take a couple days off and then back to building the stand. Electronics layout will probably have as many configuration changes as the aquascapes did. 

FB_IMG_1539931443799.jpg

FB_IMG_1539878549260.jpg

• Like 1

Started to reinforce the stand last night.... Still have some work to do but making good progress.

Right side of stand cabinet will be for the IM ATO Reservior tank and the left side will be for electronics (i.e. Neptune Apex and FMM) equipment.

Electronics are definitely a tight fit.  Debating if I mount the IceCap and Mighty Pump controllers on the outside of stand on right wall so that it is accessible without having to go into cabinet or try and mount on the inside.  I also would like to provision for a future Neptune DOS and reservoir upgrade.  If everything moves to inside, then I would install a tablet mount on the outside right wall..   Also, considering moving the Energy bar to the back of the stand but considered about not being able to access it if needed.

Will continue working the electronics jigsaw puzzle this week. 

received_356235881780201.jpeg

IMG_20181023_225729.jpg

Very nice build, Im going to follow along! How is the mount for the hydra26 hd? Im debating between a hydra26 hd and 2x prime hds but I want to keep the mount on the back of the tank and not one of the sides

12 hours ago, btmedic04 said:

Very nice build, Im going to follow along! How is the mount for the hydra26 hd? Im debating between a hydra26 hd and 2x prime hds but I want to keep the mount on the back of the tank and not one of the sides

The Hydra 26 mount that I got feels very sturdy.  It is specifically designed for Hydra 26 or 52.  It doesnt mount with mounting hardware for the Prime (atleast I dont think it did).  I havent assembled it yet so dont really have a good opinion yet..  Going to wait till after I get the stand done and can move the tank to its permanent location to run cabling properly. 

I debated between this tank light mount or the one that connects to the stand... I may actually change to the light mount that connects to the stand.  Dont know if I feel comfortable with the stress that the tank mount will have on the glass.  I replaced the flimsy Ikea rear panel for the stand to a sold 1/2 plywood rear panel so I have a nice foundation to mount to with no worries about stress to glass.  More to follow once I get to decision point time.  

Continued with my cabinet build tonight..

Decided on how I am going to move forward with my interior cabinet design. Reservior will be on left side and Apex equipment will be on right side.  Will have a false wall in front of the Apex side with my tablet and controllers for gyre and pump. 

Need to get the right size front wall cut (template was not the exact size I wanted) and then drill holes for cable pass throughs.  Going to use magnets to hold the front wall in place so that it can be removed when needed.  Then on to paint...

MVIMG_20181024_204346.jpg

MVIMG_20181024_205630.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a week away got some time to continue with my stand build.

- Drilled out 1 1/2" and 2" cable pass through holes in the internal structure

- Painted the internal structure white

- Installed the Aqua Illumination EXT mount to the back of the stand with a black vertical rail (waiting on the horizontal rail to come on Monday to mount light for test fit).  Originally I was had the AI HMS mount but i wasnt sure how the stress would be for the glass so went the safe route and I think that it will work better.  Hopefully I can get the Hydra 26 HD light to mount the way that I want.

- All electronics are mounted except my tablet (need to find a snap-in case that I can mount to wall on Amazon.

- Put the tank on the stand with aquascape to start to run cabling and determine where to put cable tie down locations

Next up is running cabling, gluing cable ties to rear of stand and figuring out where to install my power brick holders.   Also need to power on the Apex Lite and my light for the first time. Fingers crossed that they work!

Also, I think that I am going with the CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand.    Hopefully it doesnt blow around too much with my IceKap 1K Gyre.

Cant wait to start the cycle process but want to make sure that all the electronics are ran properly first because it will be hard to move the stand around once water is added.  Long journey ahead!

Some pictures are added. Disregard Netflix and my dirty feet.  Ha.

Chi

IMG_20181102_143543.jpg

IMG_20181102_143821.jpg

IMG_20181102_143745.jpg

IMG_20181102_143608.jpg

• Like 1

Continued to work on the tank setup yesterday...

1.  Got the AI Hydra 26 HD light mounted to my AI EXT stand mount and setup.  This light is NICE!  Super bright and looks great over the tank.  I like the AI EXT stand mount setup ALOT better than the HMS tank mount that I had originally bought.

2.  Started to install electronics into the AIO sump area so that I can plan on how to run my wiring to the Apex Lite.  Got the upgraded return pump, heater, Neptune ATO, Neptune probe mount,  Innovate Marine NuvoSkim Desktop and IceKap 1k gyre mounted.   Its definitely a tight fit in the return pump section but I think that I got it all to fit nicely. Still need to get the Innovative Marine Refugium light installed.  

3.  One thing that I did notice when I installed the Neptune ATK is that once you remove the mechanical bobble gauge, the water from the ATO reservoir basically falls over the wire for the optical sensor.  I wasnt a big fan of that idea so I bought the Innovative Marine ATO universal mount and will need to get some new tubing to go to that mount since the plastic water "spout" goes all the way to the bottom of the return chamber.  The clear plastic mount goes onto the Neptune ATK nicely so I think it will look pretty clean.  Or I can just run the provided ATK tubing through the holder and further into the return chamber without using the plastic spout.

Need to continue to work on cleaning up the wiring over the couple of the next couple days.  Think I should be able to add water and start cycle in about week.

Tank Chamber Configuration:
Compartment 1: InTank Media Basket Full
Compartment 2: NuvoSkim Skimmer
Compartment 3: Upgraded Return Pump, ATO, Heater, Temp/Ph Probes
Compartment 4: Refugium
Compartment 5: InTank Floss Only Holder

Chi

IMG_20181106_223324.jpg

IMG_20181107_071917.jpg

• Like 1

Well its definitely been a while since I posted here... Nothing to fear, the tank project is still alive and actually going well.  Actually I just did my first water change together and it was super easy!!

I have finished my cycle and  what I originally planned to add for fish has completely changed... Ended up adding a Yellow Coris Wrasse (named Bullet since it loves to dive into the sand), a Flame Hawkfish (named Seeker since it is always trying to find you and play hide and seek) and a Blue Sapphire Damsel (name is TBD since I Just got it today).  Overall, the fish are doing well together.  The Wrasse and the Hawkfish were picking on the Damsel a little after I added it to the tank today but they are playing nicely together.

Watching the hawkfish perch on the wave maker or any other object is amazing (see if you can find him the pic).

From a hardware perspective, the only thing that i am waiting on now is a custom polycarbonate lid from safetoplids.com.  Fabio is awesome to deal with and is making it to fit my requirements on where I want cutouts to be for cables, auto feeder, and manual feeder.  Cant wait to get it, although it will be approx 6 week.s

Pic shows all 3 fish hanging out in the tank happily.

Chi

IMG_20190105_164046.jpg

• Wow 1