Pod Your Reef

10 to 20 - Back in Black

HookedOnAquariums

HookedOnAquariums

Forgot to give a word update.

There is no large issues right now. Dino’s  are being stopped by not changing filter floss, not changing water, craning up light and flow + vigorous turkey basting. The bryopsis algae stuff was killed by flucon and a black out period at the end of the 14 days. I think the algae stripped my nutrients and led to the dino’s I have not changed anything other than lights and the corals are already improving. The zoas skirts have turned bright green, the acan has lost its get and is now true blue and purple along with the orange. The Monti has not had any growth but polyps have been showing more frequently than with leds. The mushroom is a mushroom. The only coral to suffer from the increased light was the chalice. When I got home it was clinging to its skeleton so I had to figure out a new spot for the most aggressive coral in my tank. I feel that it is about time for an Acropora, maybe a garf bonsai? Beetlejuice is still a resident of the cesspool and he bites me whenever I do tank matinence, very annoying, why do people choose to keep clowns?

• Like 2
skyscraper2290

Looking great!! I feel the same way about clowns. I used to have a pair and I couldn’t put my hand in the water without being attacked. I went for much more peaceful fish this go around.

My clown was also a mean ass fish. He would not let my damsel come out of the corner where my skimmer was to even eat. 

They can either be very peaceful or terrors. 

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
6 hours ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Looking great!! I feel the same way about clowns. I used to have a pair and I couldn’t put my hand in the water without being attacked. I went for much more peaceful fish this go around.

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

My clown was also a mean ass fish. He would not let my damsel come out of the corner where my skimmer was to even eat. 

They can either be very peaceful or terrors. 

I wish I could get rid of him. All he does is eat, sit in the corner, and terrorize my hand whenever it’s in the tank. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
HookedOnAquariums

Its been a while guys. Sorry for all of you who actually wanted updates (no one probably). But i find it nice to rant into the abyss every once and a while. The tank has not been doing well. 

The switch to halides eventually killed the mushroom. Neglect from getting my first job, rescuing grades, and a new freshwater tank murdered my montis. I did purchase mangroves, the light shock did make all the leaves fall off but they are all growing and green. I did my first water change in two months about two weeks ago to get rid of cyano. But other than the death of half my corals the tank has no major issues. Zero algae even though it has sky high nitrates, My clown has stopped biting me, my acan has about 15 new heads, and my zoas have spread on my rocks. I also was able to remove one of the heaters since my room got a separate thermostat and the halide is helping too. In about two weeks I will have more time and money to stock my saltwater (SUMMER!) so i'm looking forward to that. I think going forward i'm going to do LPS dominant since they're fine with high light and like high nitrates and regular feedings (also on the cheaper side). So updates will be more frequent than every four months now. Thanks for sticking around.

Firefish15

No FTS, huh? :tongueout: 

Sorry to hear about your corals! Life can get pretty crazy at the end of the semester, I know that for sure!

Looking forward to more updates from my fellow budget 10g reefer!

HookedOnAquariums
14 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

No FTS, huh? :tongueout: 

Sorry to hear about your corals! Life can get pretty crazy at the end of the semester, I know that for sure!

Looking forward to more updates from my fellow budget 10g reefer!

I don't take pictures after i get off the toilet, the same basic concept here. There will definitely be an fts either today or tomorrow when i do a water change and clean the glass. Will also include pictures of the acan

• Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...
HookedOnAquariums

Well after a big defeat in the freshwater world today I got sad and got a new coral. Lps seems to like my tank so I got a nice war coral to liven things up a bit. Been doing a lot of water changes. But In the past couple of weeks coralline has taken off and I hate scraping that stuff off so no fts. So instead291E1472-F275-461C-A7EE-4647B426F2D4.thumb.jpeg.76106d3303877f2208a0dab40f02e95a.jpeg1C42FA06-A897-4F1D-9835-9ABF7D247462.thumb.jpeg.a7bcb4a51531190f4b704dd5f0049421.jpegB5F7C061-F8AF-4004-ACEA-57BA4505B2BC.thumb.jpeg.2dd42c18b2ce00d993d197eb5061d0e8.jpeg82EC4AC9-026A-4B3C-8909-3F8D3B776270.thumb.jpeg.a486bcfbec69dcecd52c32b342bdfff4.jpeg here’s some coral pics

• Like 2
Firefish15

Have you tried the nano Flipper Cleaner before? That thing is great for cleaning glass.

What happened in your freshwater tank? 😬

HookedOnAquariums
9 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Have you tried the nano Flipper Cleaner before? That thing is great for cleaning glass.

What happened in your freshwater tank? 😬

I’m actually getting the clipper cleaner shipped to me sometime this week. And as for the travesty I have a decent rare pleco collection and one of my gold nuggets died. 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Coral look happy but man oh man you need to suck that poo off the bottom of this tank lol. 

Do you want to know why my corals are so happy? I water change (and suck the bottom) 2-3 times a week some summer has started. And do you want to know what always comes back an hour after sucking the bottom, sucking under the rocks, blowing junk out of the holes in the rocks, and cleaning the filter? That’s right, the fish s*** . No matter what I do, it always returns. I have accepted is as part of the tank by now. 

I do have some decent news guys. An lfs employee told me that they have a nuvo 20 sitting in storage with a busted front panel that they would sell to me for cheap. So there may be some IM action in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HookedOnAquariums

So big update. Sorry for being MIA. 

Corals are doin stupendous. Here’s some of the best pictures I’ve gotten

71A43BC1-B3C8-4E1E-957F-B89812E8B419.thumb.jpeg.3e4dc771cb8da5d445769cb5fb2a36de.jpegD85DC279-050E-4410-BC0C-248B96E28AB2.thumb.jpeg.a2fb3eaad8d19f3648e51562b5f49250.jpeg

I haven’t run into any problems recently and have been testing and doing water changes really diligently. But I’ve just felt like somethings been missing. And so I’ve decided to do something about that.

i May have just bought a Nuvo 20. 

image.thumb.jpg.0d339adf1a98ffd7f7df5d9f6e2b4daa.jpg

here she is at home. I’m in the process of cleaning her right now. But I feel like we will have a lot of fun adventures. I’m looking forward to this new chapter in my reefkeeping career and I hope all of you following along are too.

Stay tunes for more big updates. And R2R will be where I document the little things. 

Stay fishy. 

Hooked On Aquariums.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
HookedOnAquariums

Its been a long while folks. I've been busy with school, two jobs, new tanks everywhere, and attempting to start a business so that explains why im MIA quite often.

But im gonna be more active on here now!!!!! I got a new job at my LFS and quit the two other stinky ones so i get to have fun at work AND get discounts. I just transfered everything to the IM 20 last night and will post some pics when I get the light up tomorrow. 

I'm glad to be back and missed all of y'all!

• HookedOnAquariums changed the title to 10 to 20 - Back in Black