Innovative Marine Aquariums

10 to 20 - Back in Black

HookedOnAquariums

HookedOnAquariums
6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Did you ditch the DIY and go with a black box led instead ? 

I had too. I have corals coming today and I didn’t want to count on me learning how to solder in a couple days against a corals survival.

• Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums

Well the corals that we’re being shipped got delayed. Just so everyone here knows disintegrated mushroom corals do NOT smell good. So in greif I went to the lfs. And I purchased some corals. I hope this isn’t a start of a bad habit... will get some pics once they open

HookedOnAquariums
On 12/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Hmmmm well damn. PM me if you want to get rid of any of your leds stuff. 

And sorry bout the led stuff bro. Someone on r2r pmed me before I saw your message

HookedOnAquariums

4E593CAB-3BB9-4B5E-9073-9D1748D314BE.thumb.jpeg.85b5689183f30801f6d87759ef492631.jpegThis acan is already puffing up. Purple mouth, yellow and aqua sides. Probably some of the best acans I’ve seen. Zoos still doing their thing, some open some not. But lights are off so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to show the real gravitas of the wild zoos I got.

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums

F63B2386-A5F8-4037-BE7B-50815420636A.thumb.jpeg.b65cf6d9ec4626dd44cb96197ce53f77.jpegHere’s the zoas, the yellow in the middle is BRIGHT. Decided to feed some rods food and this happened

2B1941DB-6DCF-4F00-8084-D91C93F0DC87.thumb.jpeg.5056ae3b3c8fcd9d30a7d9d3f1c58000.jpeg

acans went crazy on a shrimp and shoes the brightest orange I have ever witnessed. And I got to count the heads. 7 heads of a super pretty acan for 25. I like my lfs80579CAA-8B5E-41E9-8286-F02D7904B95A.thumb.jpeg.fa684bf07397115769e2bcb592dc3381.jpegeven the zoas ate. (There is plankton and junk in rods) Water Change Time lol

• Like 2
HookedOnAquariums

So everything has been going stupendous. Visible coral growth in the 5 days I have had my corals I have counted 6 new polyps in the zoanthids and at least 4 new heads in the acan (whittle babies) I decided to dive into some simple sps. MONTIPORA! Got this guy for 20 bucks. Hope he lives...

68F55CDF-4966-444B-9BCA-02E3A9EDF61D.thumb.jpeg.b65692be4a5bbeffebcc2ff5f5dc2a20.jpeg

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums

Drove to Tulsa to check out another lfs. Got some coral from the bargain bin

chalice: (I believe)

image.thumb.jpg.19f817f136e72e747722511a69e9f3dd.jpgRhodactis Mushroom: (green with mint edges, couldn’t get a good picture of this one)image.thumb.jpg.72db29a0281e15b41d28daca2c4bba82.jpg

skyscraper2290

You are off to a great start with the photos, i recommend setting your white balance to 9900k or setting up a custom white balance. Higher aperture is best f8 or f11 or higher. Use a tripod if you have it and keep your lens parallel to the glass. If you have a digital screen I usually use it to zoom in on where I want to focus and toggle it from there. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
57 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

You are off to a great start with the photos, i recommend setting your white balance to 9900k or setting up a custom white balance. Higher aperture is best f8 or f11 or higher. Use a tripod if you have it and keep your lens parallel to the glass. If you have a digital screen I usually use it to zoom in on where I want to focus and toggle it from there. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! I couldn't figure out a custom white balance (my camera goes to 7000k preset) so I just turned up the whites. I would use a tripod but that would put my camera to far away because I have a ledge on my table. Wish I knew what camera I have. I think it's a canon rebel xs? I only have the stock lens and a behemoth that I used to photograph predatory wildlife and birds. Don't think either of them spare ideal for aquarium use.

skyscraper2290

Ya macro lenses are ideal for coral pics. I personally haven’t bought one but use extension tubes which allow you to get closer to the subject. If your camera maxes at 7k I would just fix it in Lightroom or whatever editing program you use. Usually between 9-12k and then bring down the magenta tint about halfway. That should be a good starting point st least. Ya it’s tougher when you can line up the tripod with the tank, yours might have the extendable center column you can pull out and get the camera closer to the tank. I usually crop pretty heavy too. 

• 2 weeks later...
HookedOnAquariums

Just purchased a 150w metal halide. Deabing if I should run the led and the halide in conjunction (led as suppliment) or just use the halide or just the led. The halide will be used for a latter tank (most likely a grow out) just questioning what to do with it rn. 

HookedOnAquariums
27 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I say use halides,but that's me lol. Which fixture did you go with ? 

It’s an Oddysea 150w. Double ended and atm it has a 14k phenix bulb. Considering changing it to 20k if it’s too white.  

Once burned in,those bulbs are so nice. I ran one back in the day in my 70w metal halide and in my 150w halide. 

But be careful with those,they do have a firey reputation. Idk how they are now but back in the day a few burst into flames 😟

HookedOnAquariums
4 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

But be careful with those,they do have a firey reputation. Idk how they are now but back in the day a few burst into flames 😟

I heard about that. Checked the reviews on the new stuff and people say it just gets hot. And I need heat! I have to run a 100w and a 50w to keep my tank at 76 (would much prefer 78)

HookedOnAquariums
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

You have that much of a problem keep a 10g at 78 ?! Jesus,what heaters are you using ?! 

I are tried ehim jager, finnex, and tetra. The finned die because crappy suction cups put the  heater IN the tank. The jager 100w is not fun to calibrate and drifts very quickly. The tetra preset ironically has been the best one, I use the jager set at lower temps (as to not fry my corals as it drifts) to do the heavy lifting and the tetra gets the final push.

• Wow 1

Jeez, that's crazy! I've got a 75W Cobalt Neo-therm in my 10g, and it hasn't ever varied from 78 by more than a degree. I've got an extra digital thermometer that I check with. It fits nicely in my AC 70, so I don't even have to see it in the tank.

• HookedOnAquariums changed the title to 10 to 20 - Back in Black