Pod Your Reef

Good tank for Dwarf Seahorses?

duganderson

What tank do you recommend for dwarf seahorses?  

What modifications would you recommend to this tank?  I would like a light that could grow some softies.

Any additional resources, websites, tank builds, etc. aappreciated?

Thanks, Doug

1 hour ago, duganderson said:

What tank do you recommend for dwarf seahorses?  

What modifications would you recommend to this tank?  I would like a light that could grow some softies.

Any additional resources, websites, tank builds, etc. aappreciated?

Thanks, Doug

PJ reefs has a 2 gallon dwarf sea horse set up, but it’s not super cheap. I would think that a petco 5 gallon tank would be a good starting point, fill it full of some sea grass and other macro algae and a finger leather or 2 and you would have a great little system. A little aqua clear 20 filter, with good carbon and filter floss keep it clean with reagular water changes. For lights any reef LED strips would be enough for the macro and softies. Oh and a good heater 😉

• Like 2

I have never kept dwarf seahorses because of the daily rigor of hatching and enriching baby brine shrimp.  Most DSH keepers use a 5 gallon or smaller tank.  They aerate with a sponge filter and do big WCs to maintain water quality.  Many pump filters will suck the DSHs into them.  DSHs are very prone to bacterial infections just like their bigger cousins so keeping up water quality is very important.  

They do not chase after their food so they must be fed large densities of bbs.  They just hitch to a plant/ornament and wait for the bbs to drift by their nose.

Hydroids are a problem to DSHs so keeping coral is not practical.  Panacur which is used to kill hydroids also kills most coral.  Macro algae is possible but should be dipped prior to putting in a dwarf tank.  Dry rock should be used and cycled to safeguard against bringing in pests.

That is some of what I know from reading threads on seahorse.org.

• Like 3