Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coral Warfare : Mushroom vs Chalice (Mushroom is winning)

fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

A small coral warfare is happening right now in my tank. It is Superman mushroom (baby) vs Chalice. Surprisingly, baby mushroom is winning. I thought it would be the other way around.

I am planning to wait and watch. The mama mushroom is producing lot of babies and hence I am not worried about mushroom. I want my Chalice to survive this battle. I hope it does not affect Chalice a lot.

20180926_1102361.jpg

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I just had my rock flower kill a mushroom head lol. Didn't think anything would happen but after about 2 days the head of the mushroom turned black and popped off. It was interesting to see. I have a bunch of them so I wasn't worried about it.

• Thanks 1

Super surprising! My chalice took out a scolymia, it took awhile for the Scoly to totally die but there was no stopping it.  Is it an illusion that the shrooms at the top are also touching? If they are I wonder why the same recession isn't happening on that leading edge.  I guess I see a white spot towards the chalices top right is that also a damaged spot?  I would move all the shrooms 

• Thanks 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh

The only place the shroom is touching the chalice is on the left hand side ?(red circle). Mama shroom cannot touch chalice because of its height. I will try to take a front view tomorrow.

• 2 months later...
fishkeepersaltnfresh

Mushroom is really ruling the tank. I have separated a piece of Chalice to grow on the other side. Rearranged the rocks a bit to make a mushroom only island, I might lose my chalice though.

20181216_173031copy.jpg

20181225_112458.jpg

20181225_112504.jpg

• Wow 1
  • 5 months later...
fishkeepersaltnfresh

The mushrooms have formed aan entire island. Worried about others in the tank now. Found one baby mushroom on the otherside of the tank today. Picked it up and put it back on its island. This island started off with a quarter sized mushroom baby

mushroom4.jpg

mushroom3.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

mushroom1.jpg

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and destroy all floaters you find. I have had them spread by simply touching a rock. This is why I hate mushrooms like these. I had to tear down my evo 5g because of them. 

Or get a mushroom box, and start selling them,

• Like 1