Innovative Marine Aquariums

3-peat pico party!

CD_Scapes

I am going to limited to my fish tank spaces so I was thinking of replicating the “Sanddeep” 5.5 AGA pico tank. There will be 3 different setup styles of tanks. All with have 3-5 pounds of live rock, 1/2” of live sand and Macro algea. There will be a built in fuge with chaeto, pods, rubble, a heater, surface skimmer and pump. I’m unsure about the light for the corals I will hopefully house. The inverts for each tank will be

2 astrea snails

2 ceriths snails

1 nassarius snail

feather dusters

2-3 white anemone porcelain crabs.

Then there  will be tank specific stocking for the tanks. 

Tank 1

-Gracilaria macroalgea

-Smooth mushroom corals (blues, Browns)

-Scarlet hermit crab

-Banded Coral shrimp

-Azure or Yellowtail damsel

Tank 2

-Culerpa macroalgae 

-Xenia coral

-Electirc Blue hermit crab

-3 sexy annemone shrimp

-Firefish

Tank 3

-Sea Grape macroalgae

-Dwarf Zebra hermit crab

-Fire shrimp 

-Banggai cardinal 

Anything that could be fixed with these prospective stockings?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Firefish and cardinal are really too big for picos, so I'd rethink those stocking choices. Also, the zebra hermit I had years ago was a jerk so beware lol. 

Okay, thanks for tell me this. I might change them to be maybe a royal gramma and a Pygmy possum wrasse? Or I’ll just do 3 different species of damselfish

6 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

Okay, thanks for tell me this. I might change them to be maybe a royal gramma and a Pygmy possum wrasse? Or I’ll just do 3 different species of damselfish

I think a royal gramma also needs more space. A possum wrasse could work. There is some debate over whether this is enough space for them but I know some have kept them in this space. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think a royal gramma also needs more space. A possum wrasse could work. There is some debate over whether this is enough space for them but I know some have kept them in this space. 

I’ve decided to have 3 seperate species of damselfish. One tank with a 4 stripe damsel, one with an Azure damsel and the last with a Talbot’s damsel. All the tanks with have macro algea, Aussie blue mushrooms, brown zoas. Lighting will be 2- 10k compact lights in an Exo terra hood for each tank. Would the be enough?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

I’ve decided to have 3 seperate species of damselfish. One tank with a 4 stripe damsel, one with an Azure damsel and the last with a Talbot’s damsel. All the tanks with have macro algea, Aussie blue mushrooms, brown zoas. Lighting will be 2- 10k compact lights in an Exo terra hood for each tank. Would the be enough?

What's the wattage? It might be enough although the spectrum will be a bit white due to no actinics. It can affect coral color although the macros may like it. Not an expert on lighting though, you may want to try the lighting forum. 

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

What's the wattage? It might be enough although the spectrum will be a bit white due to no actinics. It can affect coral color although the macros may like it. Not an expert on lighting though, you may want to try the lighting forum. 

Each bulb is 60 watts so with the 2 bulbs the wattage would equal 120 Watts, is that how it works?

Christopher Marks

Three picos sounds really fun, but just one tank will certainly be easier to manage 😉 

What if you plumbed the three 5.5 gallon tanks together, so they were technically one system, but three separate display tanks? 🙂 

42 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Three picos sounds really fun, but just one tank will certainly be easier to manage 😉 

What if you plumbed the three 5.5 gallon tanks together, so they were technically one system, but three separate display tanks? 🙂 

I think I’ll stick with the 10 gallon, here’s the list of species I was thinking about.

-Orange spotted goby

-Firefish

-Two spot goby

-Ornage stripe prawn goby

-Yellow prawn goby 

-Hi-fin red banded goby

-Bicolor blenny

-Pygmy possum wrasse

obvipusly not all of them will fit.

3 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

I think I’ll stick with the 10 gallon, here’s the list of species I was thinking about.

-Orange spotted goby

-Firefish

-Two spot goby

-Ornage stripe prawn goby

-Yellow prawn goby 

-Hi-fin red banded goby

-Bicolor blenny

-Pygmy possum wrasse

obvipusly not all of them will fit.

A single 10 will definitely be easier to manage than 3 picos, and be less of an equipment money sink as well. I highly recommend a possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse, I absolutely love mine. I believe the two spot goby can be rather difficult. You might consider a pistol shrimp and goby pair. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

A single 10 will definitely be easier to manage than 3 picos, and be less of an equipment money sink as well. I highly recommend a possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse, I absolutely love mine. I believe the two spot goby can be rather difficult. You might consider a pistol shrimp and goby pair. 

Okay, so I’m thinking setting the tank peninsula style with the stock:

-wheelers shrimp goby with pistol

-firefish

-possum wrasse

-Aussie blue mushrooms 

-cheap zoas

-Marco algea forests