Top Shelf Aquatics

Maximize your lightning growth

Daniel91

What has been people’s best experience when trying to maximize their current light?

As an example, I am rocking the Kessil a80 at ~65% for 8 hours a day. Most corals seem to be happy and thriving with this. Obviously the kessil is not that powerful but what would be my best bet at maximizing growth? Slowly increase light time or intensity? Maybe both at the same time? One first, then the other?

I am by no means an expert with all the new lighting fixtures they’ve put out since I restarted.  

Yet, in the past I learned generally duration and intensity are interdependent.  So if you have lower intensity of light you should run longer durations and if you have higher intensity shorter duration.

Too much intensity for too long is like baking cookies on max heat all day, they’d be burnt into ashes. 🔥 🍪 

I imagine you have to find that sweet spot that works for your tank.  Regardless of any change, do it very slowly, as your corals will have to readapt with any change in duration or intensity.  Hope some light gurus can chime in!