inTank Media Baskets

Random flow/waves beneficial?

Jono

I've been slowly upgrading different aspects of my tank to equipment I like better and have been able to get deals on. 

The next thing I'm looking into are wavepumps. I currently have 2 Koralia nanos, but they are old and one seems to be slowing down some. I clean it pretty regularly, but I think they're just old. 

Anywho...As I'm looking at new powerheads/wavemakers/splishy-splashy fans, there are so many options. My main question is, is the random flow or wave functions actually beneficial to coral, or is it more of an aesthetic thing? It seems that most of the higher end ( or even cheaper versions of the "high end") stuff comes with these functions, but there are plenty of options that don't, so I'm just trying to figure it all out. 

One thing to keep in mind, the main function of waves/flows around the tank are to help with nutrient transport, whether bringing food to corals or whisking away wastes from them. As long as you achieve that, the whole “sway” thing is just a bonus, IMO. 

I don't think it hurts, but don't think it necessary either.  To me the biggest consideration with DC pumps is the ability to dial the flow exactly where you want it.  With non-controllable pumps you are much more limited.  For example, maybe your corals would be happiest with a 1100 gph powerhead, but with non controllable you may have to choose between 750 gph and 1600 gph.  Contrast that with a dc pump where you can play with it and find that perfect amount of flow that makes everyone happy.  

On 9/21/2018 at 8:27 AM, Jono said:

My main question is, is the random flow or wave functions actually beneficial to coral, or is it more of an aesthetic thing?

It can affect growth pattern.

SPS corals have ability to extract nutrients/food from turbulent flow but other corals (LPS, Softies, Nems) could use a bit of “rest” period in flow cycle (that’s where controllable wave makers come in) to feed/grab food more efficiently.  

Other than that, it’s basically what others have said already.

I might also add that flow is probably in top 3 most important but overlooked aspects of a reef tank. 

I've used in various tanks various options.

My 55g was full of powerheads everything was happy.

My 15g hob filter and 1 powerhead- alk happy

10g just upgraded pump. Everything is happy. 

25g- stock pumps with jebao. It was fine but I didn't like the wavemaker itself and my flow wasn't right. 

Using the Aqamai now and love it. Completely customizable 

5.5g just upgraded pump- everything super happy

So my experience has been regular powerhead or wavemaker and they have been happy. It's getting it just right that can be hard.