Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

2018-12-21_12-27-32

Ok, not my smartest moments.  I was so excited to add the coarser sand that I just dumped the first cupful in.  When I saw how cloudy it got I washed then next cupfuls.  It would not be so bad except we are hosting a Christmas dinner tonigbt, LOL.  O well, what can I say, except sometimes I am not so bright!

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
53 minutes ago, seabass said:

Aw, maybe it'll clear up by dinner time.  You'll probably be able to see into it anyway.  Have a Merry Christmas!

Thanks seabass, actually it is clearing up already.  I added filter floss in the A.C. 70.  It probably won't be crisp and crystal clear but the gang coming tonight are not aquarists.  Tomorrow my son is coming and he is an Aquarist and I am hoping that it looks nice for him.

Funny thing is I clouded up the house too.  The turkey made so much juice for drippings that it overflowed my pan.  When the drippings hit the oven floor that made smoke, all over the house.  O well, that's why we have windows and fans.  Hopefully I am getting this out of the way for 2018 so 2019 is smooth sailing! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

The tank looks pretty well cleared up under the moonlight leds.  I really like the coarser aragonite.  It does not drift near as easily so the tank should not have bald spots now.

• Like 2

Hi everyone!  We enjoyed a great, wild, fun filled Christmas with kids and grandkids!  Today we waved good-bye as they drove out the driveway and now life gets back to a bit more normal routine.  And guess what, Santa-hubby got me an Ice Cap gyre for this tank.  It's both exciting and intimidating, (actually anything with a controller scares me, ha ha!).  It should be neat playing around with it...after I read the instructions of course!

• Like 6

The new aragonite sand is getting a lot of diatoms on it.  I hope to clean the tank real good tonight, add the new ice cap gyre and see if the new flow patterns help with the diatoms.  I will give a report after I have had it a while.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh that's awesome! Good luck with the new toy :smilie:. Glad you had a good holiday with the fam.

Thanks DS.  I hope to understand the controller better eventually.  I couldn't figure it out so my hubby did it for me.

• Like 1

Today I was anxious to spend my Christmas $ on fish!  I looked online at DD and LA although shipping to PA in winter makes me nervous.  I saw some nice possibilities though.  Then Dave & I headed to a lfs to see what they had.  I found 2 blue dart fish and 2 green clown gobies that were on my wish list.  I wanted a ywg but they did not have any but they did have an orange spot blenny which I also love.  I can't resist their knobby faces and the little do-dads on the top of their heads.  I am naming it Marmalade.  

All the new fish are in QT now for a week before I put them in the A, B, C tank.  I will take pics when they are not hiding so much.

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
29 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Today I was anxious to spend my Christmas $ on fish!  I looked online at DD and LA although shipping to PA in winter makes me nervous.  I saw some nice possibilities though.  Then Dave & I headed to a lfs to see what they had.  I found 2 blue dart fish and 2 green clown gobies that were on my wish list.  I wanted a ywg but they did not have any but they did have an orange spot blenny which I also love.  I can't resist their knobby faces and the little do-dads on the top of their heads.  I am naming it Marmalade.  

All the new fish are in QT now for a week before I put them in the A, B, C tank.  I will take pics when they are not hiding so much.

Oh awesome 😀 can't wait to see the new guys

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh awesome 😀 can't wait to see the new guys

This is a terrible pic but here is Marmalade, the Orange spot blenny.  He is coming out in the open and eating like a champ.

2018-12-30_01-58-30

And here is a worse than terrible pic of a blue dart fish.  It is that little blue-ish spot between the rock and pvc.

2018-12-30_02-00-31

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

This is a terrible pic but here is Marmalade, the Orange spot blenny.  He is coming out in the open and eating like a champ.

2018-12-30_01-58-30

And here is a worse than terrible pic of a blue dart fish.  It is that little blue-ish spot between the rock and pvc.

2018-12-30_02-00-31

Oh wow the blenny is awesome 😀. Can't wait to see the dartfish out. I ordered from divers den and got my lawnmower blenny. He's been doing great, no qt so I had my fingers crossed. Granted, I only have one fish(well two if you count the blenny) so I didn't have a lot to loose, but over a month and no sign of illness. He's super shy still though. He's coming along slowly but surely.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh wow the blenny is awesome 😀. Can't wait to see the dartfish out. I ordered from divers den and got my lawnmower blenny. He's been doing great, no qt so I had my fingers crossed. Granted, I only have one fish(well two if you count the blenny) so I didn't have a lot to loose, but over a month and no sign of illness. He's super shy still though. He's coming along slowly but surely.

I love lawnmower blennies!  I am happy that it is settling in slow but sure.  You will enjoy it a lot when he gets braver and comes out.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love lawnmower blennies!  I am happy that it is settling in slow but sure.  You will enjoy it a lot when he gets braver and comes out.

I've been wanting one since I started my tank in march, but held out because people said you should really have an established tank first. Well I have more than enough for him to eat, but he doesn't seem to do much with the GHA...oh well I'll just keep plucking away lol. Either way I am glad I waited, give him the best shot at survival.

When he is out though I love watching him graze...awesome fish for sure. 🙂

• Like 1

This afternoon I moved some of the rock  from the display area of the QT into the back chamber.  The gobies and dart fish were able to hide so effectively that I could not tell if they were eating.  It also made it easier to syphon the bottom for cleaning.  Within half an hour I saw a dart fish and a green clown gobie out in the open.  They both looked good and had no sign of disease.  If every one eats tonight I will probably move them into the A,B,C tank.  I expect them to love it with all the nooks, crannies and caves.

• Like 2

I like your QT tank, nice and messy like mine 🙂 It's crazy how a little bit of rock makes fish feel so much safer, I put it in my QT/conditioning tank too. Maybe I need some of those NanoRox so I could easily clean them with vinegar and use medications if needed but trick the fish into thinking there is rock in the tank. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

More terrible pics.  This is one of the green clown gobies.

2018-12-31_01-33-59

This is one of the dart fish.

2018-12-31_01-33-40

That fish is awesome looking :-)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I like your QT tank, nice and messy like mine 🙂 It's crazy how a little bit of rock makes fish feel so much safer, I put it in my QT/conditioning tank too. Maybe I need some of those NanoRox so I could easily clean them with vinegar and use medications if needed but trick the fish into thinking there is rock in the tank. 

Ha ha, yes its totally messy but it works.  With a bit less rock now I should be able to see who is eating, which is my main concern.  It would be nice to have a tank that meds could be added to it.

15 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That fish is awesome looking 🙂

I love how all the new fish look.  It will be so much fun seeing them in the big tank.  Even though they are shy it should add a fair amount more activity when everyone settles in.

• Like 1

Happy 2019!  We started the new year by adding the new fish: an orange spot blenny, 2 green clown hobbies and 2 blue dart fish.  Marmalade, the Orange spot blenny is already out and about.  I am also seeing 1 of the green clown gobies swimming around too.  Dart fish are very very shy and I saw 1 of them behind the shrimp chalet rock hiding down on the substrate.  Since the tank has all quiet docile fish so I am hoping the dart fish will venture out eventually.

The new gyre pump is working wonderfully.  The aquarium has excellant flow in all corners of the tank.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love your new fish! That GCG is going to be a show-stealer - just wait. Nice to see the dartfish up and about too. :happy:

Thanks Snow, I really like them too.  I love that there is no bullying.  Nothing disrupts the peace and serenity that I enjoy with my aquariums like bullying.  

I have noticed that the habits of some the fish have changed a little.  Namely the pajama cardinals.  Now they hang under the large plating coral skeleton during the day.  Not in a cowering fearful way, more in a 'I don't want to be in the middle of the mainstream activity' way.  At night they come out into the open water.  I think this is probably more in line with their natural behaviour since they are nocturnal.  The addition of 5 new fish brings the total up to 12 so the tank is more active.  I would still like a jawfish and that may complete my wishlist for fish.  I would also like an atlantic cucumber to keep my sandbed in good shape.  Other than that I am feeling satisfied with my livestock.

• Like 6

Most of my new fish are still shy but here is a video of the last feeding of the day.

Sorry about the hockey game in the background but we are die hard Pen fans.

• Like 2