Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

Thanks Snow.  I will try your suggestions.  I have prazipro and years ago I used it right in the reef.  I think it is probably safe with the sturdy coral I keep.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Snow.  I will try your suggestions.  I have prazipro and years ago I used it right in the reef.  I think it is probably safe with the sturdy coral I keep.

Just make sure there are no duster worms in your DT if you're dosing the DT. Apparently duster worms don't fare well with Prazi. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Just make sure there are no duster worms in your DT if you're dosing the DT. Apparently duster worms don't fare well with Prazi. 

That is good to know.  ATM no feather dusters.

I fed Omega one kelp pellets and spiralina pellets this morning.  I know Marmalade is primarily an herbivore and maybe the frozen emerald entree and formula 2 were not enough.  He seemed to really relish the pellets and I thought his belly looked fuller.  

I am surprised how effective Marmalade and Linus have been in scraping nuisance algae in the tank.  Being combtooth blennies they spend much of their time looking for filamentous algae to eat.  My macro algaes are staying pretty clean with their help.

• Like 5

I am really concentrating on feeding heavily 3 Xs a day.  I watch each meal to make sure individual fish come out to eat.  Of the 12 fish, I have noticed that 1 blue dart fish is more shy and as a result does not show up until the most choice morsels are gone. That also seems to be the case with 1 of the green clown gobies.  All the others are not shy.  I can maybe dump most of the food in and when those 2 make their appearance, dump the rest.

Both blue dart fish come out into the water column a lot when I am sitting on the couch or am not in the room.  When I walk near the tank, especially the shy one darts (ha ha) for the barnacle to hide in.  Tank mates do not seem to be a problem for the dart fish, its me it seems to be afraid of!

The clown gobies need small food.  I do attempt to finely chop the frozen fish frenzy and I also grind up the flake food between my fingers.  Every meal consist of a variety of foods: frozen meaty, frozen herbivore diet, flake and pellet, both herbivore and carnivore.

I really love my collection of blennies, gobies and cardinal fish. 

Linus and Marmalade supply more than enough personality.  They are always out and about scavenging for filamentous algae to consume or perched somewhere surveying their kingdom.  Linus seems to rule the top portion of the tank and Marmalade the bottom portion.  I never see any squabbling between the two. 

Betty and Barney, the barnacle blennies who do not live in the barnacle but reside in holes in the rock supply some laughs too.  They seem to enjoy switching homes which strikes me funny. 

I like that Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad stay in the water column all day and their yellow heads with black and white stripes is very attractive.  They are a nice contrast to the powder blue of the dartfish. 

The pajama cardinals offer a rounder shape in contrast to being long and skinny like the other fish in the water column.

Finally the 2 green clown gobies, Piper and Jet are the most elusive fish in the tank.  Piper the braver of the 2 will perch on the cabbage leather that is on the shrimp chalet rock.  Jet stays in the back near and around the heater.  I only catch glimpses of it scurrying from 1 hiding place to another.  

Hopefully with lots of food going into the tanks 3Xs a day all the fish will eventually eat well and fatten up which is my main objective for now.

• Like 5

I love my collection of fish but I have a couple more that I would like...a jawfish and a goby paired with a pistol shrimp.  My tank still has choice hiding places for the pistol shrimp/goby and a jawfish. 

What my tank did not have until today was rubble rock for lairs.  That was easy enough remedied.  I mixed some of the rubble rock down into the sand because the tank was looking too busy and helter skelter while it just laid on top. 

While I was at it I reinforced the retaining wall for the DSB.  It had enough holes that sand bled through them.  I plugged them as well as I could and refilled the DSB.  I am guessing that it is back to being about 7" deep.

Finally the last thing I did was move the gyre to the back wall of the tank.  I am still working on dealing with cyano/diatoms on the left side of the tank.  I am hoping with it set in forward then reverse mode that it will keep all the sandbed clean.  I will try to get a pic tomorrow evening when the tank clears up.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love my collection of fish but I have a couple more that I would like...a jawfish and a goby paired with a pistol shrimp.  My tank still has choice hiding places for the pistol shrimp/goby and a jawfish. 

What my tank did not have until today was rubble rock for lairs.  That was easy enough remedied.  I mixed some of the rubble rock down into the sand because the tank was looking too busy and helter skelter while it just laid on top. 

While I was at it I reinforced the retaining wall for the DSB.  It had enough holes that sand bled through them.  I plugged them as well as I could and refilled the DSB.  I am guessing that it is back to being about 7" deep.

Finally the last thing I did was move the gyre to the back wall of the tank.  I am still working on dealing with cyano/diatoms on the left side of the tank.  I am hoping with it set in forward then reverse mode that it will keep all the sandbed clean.  I will try to get a pic tomorrow evening when the tank clears up.

You can try either a Hi-Fin or Yasha goby. Yashas are more expensive and seasonal, but they do add more color. I have no experience with jawfish though. I know they prefer thicker sanbeds. Are you looking into getting a bluespot or tiger jawfish? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

You can try either a Hi-Fin or Yasha goby. Yashas are more expensive and seasonal, but they do add more color. I have no experience with jawfish though. I know they prefer thicker sanbeds. Are you looking into getting a bluespot or tiger jawfish? 

I would kind of like a watchman goby because I love their grumpy faces.  I think watchman gobies are pretty sturdy too.

If I get a jawfish it will be pearly jawfish.  My shrimp guy that I order feeder shrimp from can also supply some coral, inverts, macros and fish from the FL/Caribbean area for a great price.  When I am ordering feeder shrimp I might as well get a few other goodies.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I would kind of like a watchman goby because I love their grumpy faces.  I think watchman gobies are pretty sturdy too.

If I get a jawfish it will be pearly jawfish.  My shrimp guy that I order feeder shrimp from can also supply some coral, inverts, macros and fish from the FL/Caribbean area for a great price.  When I am ordering feeder shrimp I might as well get a few other goodies.

I completely forgot about the Pearly jawfish! Those are beautiful. My LFS keep bringing in tiger jawfish as redheaded jawfish. I saw one of them 'yawn' once at the store and my gosh - those mouths are huge! 😮 

I have never owned a yellow watchman but I have seen a tiger watchman before. It was very beautiful. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I completely forgot about the Pearly jawfish! Those are beautiful. My LFS keep bringing in tiger jawfish as redheaded jawfish. I saw one of them 'yawn' once at the store and my gosh - those mouths are huge! 😮 

I have never owned a yellow watchman but I have seen a tiger watchman before. It was very beautiful. 

Because of our different locations and you being half way across the world from me, I imagine we each get to see different fish.  There are some that seem to be popular everywhere but others seem more regional.

I would have loved a blue spot jawfish because they are so beautiful but they are usually pretty pricey here.  The yellowhead and pearly jawfish are very reasonable here.

I do not know if the jawfish would know to go up to my deep sand bed to make its lair.  Its about 7" thick so should be fine unless it undermines my 'shrimp chalet rock'.  I need to think more about whether I want to risk a jawfish.  I also don't want it to be moving rocks that are plugging the holes in my retaining wall that will let a lot of my sand bleed out.  The more I think about it the more I think a jawfish should be scratched off my list. 😕  Bummer but I don't want to be repairing my retaining wall all the time.

• Like 1

The tank looks nice and clear this morning even with only the moonlight leds.  The gyre did trench a small area in the SSB at the front of the tank where my macro algaes are.  I will need to move them a bit.  Other than that all looks good.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Because of our different locations and you being half way across the world from me, I imagine we each get to see different fish.  There are some that seem to be popular everywhere but others seem more regional.

I would have loved a blue spot jawfish because they are so beautiful but they are usually pretty pricey here.  The yellowhead and pearly jawfish are very reasonable here.

I do not know if the jawfish would know to go up to my deep sand bed to make its lair.  Its about 7" thick so should be fine unless it undermines my 'shrimp chalet rock'.  I need to think more about whether I want to risk a jawfish.  I also don't want it to be moving rocks that are plugging the holes in my retaining wall that will let a lot of my sand bleed out.  The more I think about it the more I think a jawfish should be scratched off my list. 😕  Bummer but I don't want to be repairing my retaining wall all the time.

Tbh, I've never encountered a bluespot jawfish in my LFS. One of the LFSes in one of the northern states of my country did import a bluespot once, but it was considered as 'rare' and 'exotic' and therefore priced very highly. We do get pearly jawfish though, every once in a while. I've seen the yellowhead a couple of times too, but lately they've only been bringing in the tiger jawfish only.

It is possible a jawfish might choose the deeper end of your sandbed, but fish being fish, don't often do what we want them to do. :tongueout:

Hmm...maybe go with a watchman male/female pair instead? I've seen female watchmans - they're gray and a bit drab-looking, and more difficult to find. But I've seen a male/female pair pop up on DD last year. Who knows, you might get to see another pair pop up on the site again. :wink:

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

tiger watchman before. It was very beautiful. 

I love that fish, they really are pretty. I'm thinking of getting one for the 75 once it's up and running.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I love that fish, they really are pretty. I'm thinking of getting one for the 75 once it's up and running.

Is it available at your LFS/local vendor? They're very beautiful but rare here. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Is it available at your LFS/local vendor? They're very beautiful but rare here. 

Last year around feb right before I started my tank the lfs had one, thing was beautiful, but I hadn't had the tank running yet so I couldn't get him. I haven't seen one since. I didn't know they were hard to come buy :sad:. I guess If I see one I'm gonna get it lol.

edit: saltwaterfish.com has some...I haven't heard anything good about that place though

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Last year around feb right before I started my tank the lfs had one, thing was beautiful, but I hadn't had the tank running yet so I couldn't get him. I haven't seen one since. I didn't know they were hard to come buy :sad:. I guess If I see one I'm gonna get it lol.

You might get one yet, but I think they're seasonal. Some of the very unique marine fish found online usually are available during select times of the year - I'm guessing this also depends where your shipment comes from (Cebu/Australia/Red Sea etc. for example).

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

You might get one yet, but I think they're seasonal. Some of the very unique marine fish found online usually are available during select times of the year - I'm guessing this also depends where your shipment comes from (Cebu/Australia/Red Sea etc. for example).

Lol I just edited my last post

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

edit: saltwaterfish.com has some...I haven't heard anything good about that place though

I have never seen a tiger jawfish.  I guess I should check out saltwaterfish. com just to see how beautiful it is.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, vlangel said:

O yeah, that is definitely a beautiful fish.  It's only $39 on saltwaterfish.com. It's too bad they are not recommended.

I wanted a goby for the 20, but i wanted to make sure it was up and running for a while. I ended up not getting one cause I have too many corals on the sand bed. My next plan was once the 75 is up it'll have more sand to sift and I'll have more sand bed because I'm doing a minimalist scape. I got into saltwater because I wanted a goby and I still don't have one lol. That'll change soon enough though. Still getting all the equipment and that good stuff.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I wanted a goby for the 20, but i wanted to make sure it was up and running for a while. I ended up not getting one cause I have too many corals on the sand bed. My next plan was once the 75 is up it'll have more sand to sift and I'll have more sand bed because I'm doing a minimalist scape. I got into saltwater because I wanted a goby and I still don't have one lol. That'll change soon enough though. Still getting all the equipment and that good stuff.

I will be watching for your goby in the the 75!

• Like 1

2019-01-23_11-02-50

Here is a FTS Jan. 23, 2019. I am pleased how this tank is coming along.  I downloaded a free zoom for camera app and here are some pics.  Not awful although some could be sharper in focus.

2019-01-23_11-03-14

2019-01-23_11-03-34

2019-01-23_11-04-17

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Looks really good :smilie: and I'm gonna start a journal for that build. Not sure when, but I can't wait. Still kinda hard to give up the cichlids though.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Looks really good :smilie: and I'm gonna start a journal for that build. Not sure when, but I can't wait. Still kinda hard to give up the cichlids though.

I totally understand, when I got seahorses I gave up some aquatic animals too.  Of course now I am re-acculmulating them, LOL.

• Like 1