Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

15 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I usually looked on live aquaria.  Since they are closing down it may be gone now.

Wut?  DFS closed down, but I don't believe there are any plans to shut down LA.  I'm not missing something, am I?

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Wut?  DFS closed down, but I don't believe there are any plans to shut down LA.  I'm not missing something, am I?

Hhhm, maybe I am confused.  I thought I read a few posts awhile back that folks said they were but I don't pay close attention to such things so I probably got it wrong.  I probably heard Foster and Smith were and just assumed LA was.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Are the gorgs easy to keep? NPS is the only thing I haven't really tried out yet, but I've always wanted to try a sea fan or gorg. 🙂 

So far so good.  Since it finally opened up it has stayed open.  I feed it microvert plus I am guessing it catches stuff from my heavy feedings and fish wastes.  I really like it a lot.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I see nothing on the website suggesting it's closing but you never know.  Drs. Foster and Smith was news to me as now.  Wow.  They've been around as long (longer) as i have been in the hobby (since 03)

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Live Aquaria is fine for now.  I have no reason to suspect they will be shut down.  If anything, if Pecto finds it not meshing with it's culture, they would probably rather sell it (maybe even back to the vets that started it). :unsure:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SemperReef said:

I see nothing on the website suggesting it's closing but you never know.  Drs. Foster and Smith was news to me as now.  Wow.  They've been around as long (longer) as i have been in the hobby (since 03)

Sorry for the confusion. 😶

4 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I think Live Aquaria is fine for now.  I have no reason to suspect they will be shut down.  If anything, if Pecto finds it not meshing with it's culture, they would probably rather sell it (maybe even back to the vets that started it). :unsure:

Sorry for the confusion.  😶

No worries.  I use them all the time, so I'd hate to lose them.  In Wisconsin, their facility was completely separate from DrsFosterSmith (although I believe it was on the same property).

• Like 2

All my new coral seem to be adjusting and settling well.  The pipe organ is the most finicky but has opened the last 2 days.  My alk is slowly rising into range so PO4 is the main thing I am working on.  I have RO/DI water made so some WCs should help bring that down.

Right now I only have a couple more things on my wish list:

I need a fish that is a completely different shape from the long thin fish I have now.  I am thinking maybe a kole tang or scopas as both of those can go in a smaller system.  The drawbrack is whether they would decimate my macro algaes.  Any other fish suggestions?  I guess I could consider a clownfish since I have the acid washed BTA.

As far as coral I would like 3 or 4 RFAs.  They would be perfect at the base of my rock and would add beautiful color.

In the invert category I have always loved feather dusters.  I am feeding this tank heavier than any tank I have ever had so I might finally have long term success with them.

• Like 2

I have been wanting a watchman goby forever and yesterday I was at my lfs with a $10 coupon.  They had 3 very nice healthy looking ywg, so I came home with the littlest.  His name is Zeke since God talks about Ezekial being a watchman.  That finishes my fish for this tank.

I also bought a coral banded shrimp.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I have been wanting a watchman goby forever and yesterday I was at my lfs with a $10 coupon.  They had 3 very nice healthy looking ywg, so I came home with the littlest.  His name is Zeke since God talks about Ezekial being a watchman.  That finishes my fish for this tank.

I also bought a coral banded shrimp.

My watchman is a beast! I dont know what she eats most of the time but she has a big ole belly! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

My watchman is a beast! I dont know what she eats most of the time but she has a big ole belly! 

I hope mine grows into a beast! LOL.

On the parameter front I finally have things where I want them.  PO4 is down to .5 with the help of a phosphate sponge.  Alk is up to 7 ppm, and nitrates are 25 ppm.  These numbers would be high for most tanks but with my livestock they are good.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

A new video tank tour with all the new frags in place.

Everything looks great!  I love the bivalve. 😊

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Everything looks great!  I love the bivalve. 😊

It is especially cool because I did not put it there.  My guess is that a spore, cyst or egg (whatever it is that spawns bivalves) came into the tank somehow and the high nutrient condition favored its growth.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, seabass said:

It's nice to see everyone out and about.  And everything is looking so healthy.

Thanks seabass, I generally have good luck with healthy fish but this is my first tank to have such good luck with healthy coral, at least so far.  I was especially expecting to struggle with the pipe organ and the NPS gorg but so far so good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Packed full of life. So much going on. 

I love the seahorses for their charm but this tank is fun because of all the life.  The fish are always out and some of them are cute as buttons.  Also the inverts are fascinating and I have never had a tank with such a variety of healthy coral.  Its so much fun!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Tank looks amazing, and great video! I could sit and watch your tank for hours...there’s so much to see!!!

Wow, I am honored because I feel the same about your tank.  You are inspiring me to let my frags grow out but also to not stop adding more coral, ha ha!  (My hubby thanks you 😉).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow, I am honored because I feel the same about your tank.  You are inspiring me to let my frags grow out but also to not stop adding more coral, ha ha!  (My hubby thanks you 😉).

Yeah, I love a tank with lots of different things to look at... “there’s always room for one more” is my motto haha. My hubs really wants a seahorse tank, actually, so I may start researching to do one at some point in the future. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah, I love a tank with lots of different things to look at... “there’s always room for one more” is my motto haha. My hubs really wants a seahorse tank, actually, so I may start researching to do one at some point in the future. 

Seahorse tanks are really cool because seahorses are so adorable and charming.  They are so different than other fish however in their lack of immune response to pathogenic bacteria.  For that reason they need a tank that is spar and somewhat empty looking so detritus and excess food can be lifted into the water column and filtered out.  The seahorses are satisfying but their tank is not.  When you are ready to take the plunge into ponies you may ask me anything.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi N-R community, I am back from my 10 day trip to Greece (which was amazing) and mostly very good news about the tank.  The coral all look excellent except the new NPS gorg, which I am hoping I can perk it up with more feedings.  The fish look fatter than when I left which shocked me.  Sadly however one of the fanged blennies is missing.  There are a lot of crevices so I don't know if he's hiding or dead.  He wasn't shy so I am leaning toward him perishing.  He was not tiny however?????

Tomorrow after I am a bit more recovered from jet lag I will do a WC.

• Like 1