Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

On 1/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, vlangel said:

I have been watching the fish closely at feeding.  I never see more than 1 gcg at a time, so I do not know if both are still living or not.  I always see 1 darting about from coral to coral.  The xenia and the cabbage leather seem to be a favorite perching spot.  I will try to spot Jet and Piper at the same time to verify that I still have 2.

One of the blue dartfish is not doing well.  Spirit and Spectre both come out to feed.  Spirit eats like a champ and is fattening up but Spectre takes in food but then spits it back out.  Spectre is definitely losing weight 😣.  I feed a good variety of frozen, flakes and pellets.  I suspect maybe internal parasites but I would have to rip the tank apart to catch him and that still might not save him.  So I am hoping his own immune system will kick in but I am not optimistic.

Good news, today I saw both gcg.  I actually could verify that Jet is a deeper blue green than Piper, who is almost a pale olive green.

Also good news on Spectre.  I have seen him eat mysis and not spit it out.  So, there are still 12 fishes and all are eating.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

So many little things really make a reefer happy and you are scoring in many categories. Fish are all accounted for eating. Things are growing and need to be trimmed. Sand is clean. It's a reefer trifecta! 

You nailed it and are so right!  I could not be more thrilled about all the fish eating, finally getting rid of cyano/diatom and trimming macros and some coral.  When things are right in the reef it feels like things are right with my world. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today I centered the gyre on the back wall and moved it up all the way to where the black frame shows through the glass.  I also moved the AC 70 to the left so that the intake tube runs down the left corner.  These changes make the equipment less intrusive.

• Like 2

I found a tiny aiptasia, probably the first one in a decade! 😠 I will be taking care of it pronto since my peppermints must be sleeping on the job.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I found a tiny aiptasia, probably the first one in a decade! 😠 I will be taking care of it pronto since my peppermints must be sleeping on the job.

I tried to make a slurry of super buffer but the aiptasia always knew I was coming and would retract before I could squirt it down its mouth.  So I got my needlenosed pliers and since it was located on a nub of a rock, I just crushed nub and everything.  I will keep my eyes peeled for more to pop up just in case that didn't work.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Newstead said:

Great video! Love all the life in there - and the GCG sitting on his throne.

Thanks, its tough to catch the GCGs but every once in a while Jet perches on a coral and lets me capture him on film or photo.  How about all those bristle worms, LOL!  Free janitors.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

A new video!  This one is kind of long but it features a lot of the minor characters,(inverts) as well as the main actors (fish).

I was feeling quite down just now, but this video cheered me up a lot - and I watched the full 5+ mins. Your tank is mesmerizing, Dawn. Your fish look vibrant and healthy, and the corals/macro look great. The blennies made me smile a lot - especially the close up of Marmalade and one of the barnacle blennies. That was adorable. Great work, Dawn. 🙂 

• Like 3

Ah, I am sorry you were feeling down but happy that watching my video cheered you up.  Blennies are just so entertaining  that they make me smile too, no matter what else is happening in life.  Marmalade is quite the showboat and Barney and Betty, the barnacle blennies are so awesome the way their eyes move.  I just love it!  I am really happy that Spirit and Spectre are both fattening up.  My coral look ok but I guess I really am a fish person first and foremost.  Coral and macro algae are there to make the fishes feel comfortable and natural.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Ah, I am sorry you were feeling down but happy that watching my video cheered you up.  Blennies are just so entertaining  that they make me smile too, no matter what else is happening in life.  Marmalade is quite the showboat and Barney and Betty, the barnacle blennies are so awesome the way their eyes move.  I just love it!  I am really happy that Spirit and Spectre are both fattening up.  My coral look ok but I guess I really am a fish person first and foremost.  Coral and macro algae are there to make the fishes feel comfortable and natural.

Nothing to be sorry for. 🙂

But thanks so much for the vid. It came at the right time, if you ask me.

And I honestly didn't know you could keep so many blennies in a tank at a go! Your system truly is unique, and I mean it. Blennies seldom get along because they can get very territorial with each other at times. I've tried twice to keep two blennies long-term in a nano, and in both cases, had to rehome one because they'd pick on each other. Since your tank is fairly large and has a lot of hidey-holes, I think that helps them feel settled and comfortable. 

Your grammistes are fattening up too! (I noticed one of them has a potbelly already :lol:).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

🙂

Your grammistes are fattening up too! (I noticed one of them has a potbelly already :lol:).

The fattening up process is happening slow but sure.  Even for a 56 gallon tank I am feeding an insane amount of food.  There is a very mature biofilter with all the micro & asterina stars, bristle worms and pods which supplement my cuc.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Wow, that is just amazing :smilie:. Great video Dawn, I love all the life in there.

Thanks DS, I am liking this tank more than any I have ever had because something fascinating is always happening somewhere in it.  Why even the bristle worms are fun!

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Thanks DS, I am liking this tank more than any I have ever had because something fascinating is always happening somewhere in it.  Why even the bristle worms are fun!

i actually like the bristle worms, i know that they are cleaning

• Haha 1

This tank is chugging along quite well.  The macro algaes are growing and the fish are all getting chubby which really pleases me.  I see them all regularly except Piper, the very shy gcg.  I do get occasional sightings to assure me that Piper is fine.  I love the blue gudgeon dartfish for the gourgeous splash of color they bring to the water column.  Everyone else is there for winning personalities!

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the video, it is very relaxing.  Can you tell how many and what type of blennies you have in your tank? I have a 75 gallon with a small yellow tang, pajama cardinal fish and a clown fish.  I would like to add several blennies to the mix if that is possible.

Sorry I don't know why it is underlining part of my reply

Edited by kimdawg
to add