Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

On 3/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, seabass said:

Wow, such an awesome trip!  I'm jelly.

It was an awesome trip even though it was more of a humanitarian trip than a vacation.  I will certainly treasure the experience of it for the rest of my life!

• Like 1

Well, last night I found Sir Galahad dead behind and partially underneathe a rock. 😢  At least I know now.  He had scratched on the sand since I got him and I guess eventually that he weakened and probably succumbed to ich.

I still have never had a visual of Zeke the tiny yellow watchman goby I added shortly before my trip.  He was small enough that I might not see a body but I am still holding out hope that he is going to make an appearance some day.

• Sad 3

I have been pondering for a couple of months about adding another tier to my scape.  I thought it might solve some of the sand leakage problem by having the sandbed high enough to block some of the holes that the sand was leaking out of.  Also the front right side of the tank was somewhat wasted space.  I did have a lonely mermaid's fan trying to live there but that was about all.  I had pondered putting sheol grass there and it needs 3 to 4 inches of sand. 

Since I had some leftover play sand I decided to go for it.  I scraped up all the coarse sand and removed it into a bucket.  Then I dumped the finer play sand into the new contained area.  When it was nearly filled I finished by putting the coarse sand on top.  Now that I see it, I don't want sheol grass anymore.  It looks even better than I envisioned.  The area looks bigger than it did before also and would be perfect for some RFAs!  When the dust settles I will take a pic.

• Like 4

I saw Cheerleader tonight which was a treat.  He is so secretive that I can go 4-6 weeks without seeing him and then out of nowhere he will appear.

I also added prasipro because I am seeing one of the blue dartfish scratching on the sand too.  Hopefully that fixes any parasitic issues.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 3/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, vlangel said:

Well, last night I found Sir Galahad dead behind and partially underneathe a rock. 😢  At least I know now.  He had scratched on the sand since I got him and I guess eventually that he weakened and probably succumbed to ich.

I still have never had a visual of Zeke the tiny yellow watchman goby I added shortly before my trip.  He was small enough that I might not see a body but I am still holding out hope that he is going to make an appearance some day.

I recently added a YWG as well I haven’t seen since day one. Praying we see yours and mine soon! 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

I recently added a YWG as well I haven’t seen since day one. Praying we see yours and mine soon! 

Yes, I hope neither of us is disappointed.  Some shy fish can be MIA for 2-3 weeks.  Both my blue dartfish were slow to appear but especially Spectre who didn't show up for about 3 weeks!

• Like 1

Trumpets

2019-03-29_05-50-42

More trumpets!

2019-03-29_05-51-02

Yellow hammer that actually looks pale green!

2019-03-29_05-52-03

Acans

2019-03-29_05-52-50

Pipe organ which I always, always wanted!

2019-03-29_05-52-24

Sun polyps, another one of my favorites

2019-03-29_05-53-09

• Like 6

Fish:

Jet

2019-03-29_05-51-28

Marmalade peeking out of his favorite barnacle hole!

2019-03-29_05-50-14

New tiered level in the tank

2019-03-29_05-53-44

FTS after the new tier was added.  The gyre rescrulpted the sandbed.

2019-03-29_05-54-11

• Like 7

I had added prazipro to the display after I found that Sir Galahad had died.  I knew some of the fish were probably fighting ich,(although I never saw any spots on them).  I was hoping they would fight it off without me intervening but I did not want to lose any more fish.  The good news is that no fish have scratched since so I guess it was the right thing to do.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Awee that's not good! I had some luck in the cube by adding garlic to the food and changing out to a better frozen mix. 

I should have tried that first but didn't think of it.  It did not help that this tank is so heavily stocked.  I now have 12 fish and a lot of inverts.

• Like 1

This morning I did a WC and a full test of all the parameters, the first full test since the end of January.  Back then the PO4 was 1, NO3 was 25, CA was 475, Kh was 12, and Mag was 1350.  Now the PO4 is 1, NO3 is 30, CA is 450, Kh is 9.9 and Mag is 1350.  So basically the WCs are keeping things pretty stable with a little bit of added CA and Kh usage.  No doubt as the LPS get more established the CA and Kh usage will go up more but so far so good.  The tank is doing exactly what it appeared to be doing which is very good.

• Like 3

This past weekend my marine aquarium club had a frag swap, (a first in many many years).  I helped with it but did not buy stuff since I spent so much at LEAR.  I did get some free hypnea pannosa from a club member which was super cool.  I have been wanting it forever.  He also included a sprig of dragon's breath which I used to have but don't anymore so I was very happy about that too.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

This past weekend my marine aquarium club had a frag swap, (a first in many many years).  I helped with it but did not buy stuff since I spent so much at LEAR.  I did get some free hypnea pannosa from a club member which was super cool.  I have been wanting it forever.  He also included a sprig of dragon's breath which I used to have but don't anymore so I was very happy about that too.

I love hypnea....... it’s so pretty. 😊

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I love hypnea....... it’s so pretty. 😊

It is very pretty so I am really hoping it takes in this high nutrient tank.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This tank is just chugging along quite well and there is not much to report on it.  I had gotten a non descriptive silver whitish fish w/ thin blue and yellow horizonal lines on its body with my last feeder shrimp order.  I left it in with the shrimp until this morning.  I am planning on getting dwarf seahorses in the old school pico contest and that is where the shrimp are.  I know this fish can not be in with the DSHs so I moved it to this tank.  I am going to name him Silver Streak.  I hope he does not grow into an enormous monster who eats all my blennies and gobies! 😮

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Silver Streak has settled in comfortably.  He doesn't seem to be causing any problems at present and hopefully will not in the future.

This tank is really shaping up.  I was just looking at it from afar and all of a sudden realized that it is very nice.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks great Dawn! That dendro really pops. Love the macro too. 

I love the the sun coral.  That vibrant yellow remind me of sunflowers and I love sunflowers.  They are definitely the first thing your eye sees when looking at my tank.  The macros are doing very well and I guess as long as I feed so heavy they will continue to flourish.

• Like 2

A mystery has been solved.  I found a dried up fish jerky that used to be Spirit! 😢  He apparently jumped through the grating of my lid and then laid between the tanks where he was hard to see.  Poor guy, that is a bummer but I am glad that it was not ich.  I can quit worrying about the rest of the fish.

• Sad 3

I added a bigger rock feature in the fore ground of this tank and I really like it.  Since the tank was fairly clean I decided to do another video tour for those who are interested.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
10 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I also have a stripped blenny. Do you just love how they add some nice movement. Mine is always swimming around. Your tank looks great.

I do love that about my fanged blenny.  Thanks, I think this is my favorite tank I have ever had.

• Like 1